Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
azshtr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
One cheap, light, and very safe method for storing while on a trip, is the SD cards themselves. Get a as many 8, 16 or 32 gig cards as you need. They also have a lock feature usually so can't accidentally erase them. No need for a computer or tablet unless you want to carry one. If you do carry one get one that burns DVD's.

SD cards are not redundant but they are VERY secure.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #17
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
cheapest and easiest solution is to just pick up an Eye-Fi card. Once paired with your camera, your smartphone can download all of the images into its internal memory.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #18
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,345
Bulk back up.... think Gbytes.

When half your cards are near full (or more frequently) ... find an internet shop and copy (make certain they don't delete them) the photos to CD/DVDs and post them home. Once they reach home and someone confirms they are OK (and copies them on to a large hard drive) then delete the files from the cards.

Principle - should be two files of the same thing in existence at once.

Card failures happen. At the end of each day swap the card in use for yesterdays card. This way you won't loose ALL or Alaska/Kenya etc.. only half of it.
Warin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #19
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,458
I have a netbook which I use to download my camera at the end of every day but because I was gone for 8 months I backed up the netbook onto 2 usb sticks so I had 3 copies. When I finished the outbound part of the trip I sent 1 usb stick home for safety. This is called belts and suspenders but I never thought it was overkill.

The one thing I would urge people to do is empty the camera every day, the one and only time I went 3 days without doing it I lost my camera and all the pictures that were on it and that was toward the end of the trip

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #20
fafaforza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
A netbook is probably a good idea since you'll probably need some sort of a device with you to go online, etc. Getting pics onto an iPad is easy - it even opens Nikon's RAW format, but getting them out is unnecessarily complicated.

Another option is something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...67&srtclk=sort

It seems that you get what you pay for with these.

There are also devices that connect to an iPod, mount it as a hard drive, and copy pictures there. One such device was

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2003/10/18/belkinipodadapt

But seems these eat up the iPod batteries. It might be worth investigating further, something must have been released since 2003.

I have an iPad and it's too heavy for reading on the subway. Thinking of selling it and buying something like a ThinkPad X200 instead. Built in SD card reader and more than enough disk space.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #21
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,539
I'm not computer savvy. Was thinking of getting a Nexus 7. There are cords for SD cards and flashdrives.
Would this work as a back up?

I usually just carry extra SD cards, but this would allow me to view and show the pics while on the road.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:28 AM   #22
jkgroove
Adventure

Oddometer: 32
3 2 1 Backup

Just my two cents and a PSA to prevent the headache that comes with losing those digital memories.

My day job keeps me heavily involved in the world of data storage and data recovery. No matter what media you choose (SD, external hard drive, etc) I would merely like to remind folks of the "3-2-1 Rule" for backing up photos and video, etc:

Make 3 complete copies of your data, keep them on at least 2 separate systems, and have at least 1 on a natural disaster protected hard drive or offsite in the cloud.

To take it a step further, "backup" means to make a SECOND copy of the data to be placed on a physically different system. "Backup" does not mean "move" your data. If you have only one copy of your data on any one system, your data is vulnerable to loss (think coffee spills, dropping your device or media, power surges, hardware failure and the Number #1 cause of data loss.... Human Error.)
jkgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #23
dmason
goofball

Oddometer: 100
As a professional photographer (who has admittedly yet to fill an 8GB CF card while on one trip... d-oh!) I like the idea of a netbook for storage along with one of these for backup:
http://iosafe.com/products-rugged-portable-SSD-overview

Check out these features:

Crush protection up to 5,000 lbs.

Drop protection up to 20'

Immersion protection up to 30' for 3 days

USB 3.0 SuperSpeed

Data Recovery Service up to $5,000

World's best warranty

Works with Macs and PCs

Featuring Intel® Solid-State Drive 320 Series, the super-fast hard drive alternative
I use ioSafe products as my frontline for storage and backup of multible TB's of client images.

Also, for $20 if you don't already have one of these on your bike, you're nuts: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Dual-...s=blue+sea+usb
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #24
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
I carry a laptop with me when I travel. Every night, all pics and videos are transferred to the laptop and everything on the cards in the cameras are deleted so I have a clean slate for the next day.

Once a week or so, I copy all of the files from my laptop to a 1 Terrabite portable drive in case my laptop gets liberated.

Some of the pictures I like get transferred to my smugmug account online. With the speed of a lot of the internet, there isn't enough time in the day to upload everything to the "cloud" -
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #25
fafaforza
Adventurer

If I were to wipe my cards after copying pics, I'd probably carry a small USB powered hard drive to make a second copy onto off the laptop.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #26
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I have one and installed a 1 TB hard drive....just make sure it is a laptop hard drive.

Also, don't move the device while the hard drive is accessing your card

You can clear the card of your daily photo grab and have it ready.

Each day's photos can be in their own file

Got the hard drive from Amazon.com
I'm going to update my own advice with a photo of the UDMA Colorspace I recommend:

(shown with example photo cards inserted. Caution: only insert 1 card at a time!)

This is about the size of a small paperback book.

On Monday I got back from this loop in the Southwest and Mexico:

I took two cameras and a GoPro

Each day I would transfer the card content of these three devices to the Colorspace UDMA device, and then clear the card by formatting.

As I said above, I have a 1 TB laptop hard drive in the Colorspace (I bought the "empty" version and installed my own hard drive). You buy whatever size drive you wish, or install any size drive you wish, as long as it is a laptop hard drive.

When you connect the UDMA to your computer, it reads it as a virtual drive, and all your photos and video are there, and in their own daily folder as well, which helps with ride reporting and organization. In addition to storage and backup, this is an often overlooked aspect to ride report organization. Having a daily "file" really helps. (Each update session creates its own folder).

Never in a 1,000 years are you going to fill up a 1 TB drive, I don't care who you are, unless you're Steven Spielberg filming a movie.

The device itself can be wall powered or by a battery.

It's just about the best device out there for photo/video transfer/storage while on the road.

You can find it here: http://www.hypershop.com/ (click on the "Drive" link) or on Amazon.com

Really, there's nothing faster, easier, or better, or more compact.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #27
fafaforza
Adventurer

Can you manage which folder each SD card files go into? For example have something like

2013-11-03/GoPro
2013-11-03/D7000
2013-11-03/BlackBerry

instead of the device dumping everything in one dated folder.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #28
guyfawkes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhold View Post
I'm looking for a tablet or any other device that would allow me to download my picture cards so on my trips I would have a redundant storage system.
The iPad will let you download them but not let you transfer them back to a card. Not interested in web storage accounts. Any suggestions?

Looking for something small and compact. Something that I could carry in my riding jacket. A screen would be nice so I can use it for wifi.
imagetank maybe ? way more storage then any tablet
guyfawkes is offline   Reply With Quote