ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #16
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
We ride the area about twice a year. Late Fall and Spring. Hot happens ... but relief is just over the hill.

Almost there .... Highway One awaits.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #17
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
OK, I'm stoked!

I'll try to remember to post when I get back home.
-ceej
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #18
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,314
glad folks seemed to have gotten through, a non-bike friend said they closed the access to the public. Have a great trip and report back when done
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #19
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
glad folks seemed to have gotten through, a non-bike friend said they closed the access to the public. Have a great trip and report back when done
Perhaps your friend was denied entrance to the base itself. We tried to go in ... and the guards (real Army guys) turned us around. We wanted to eat in the base cafeteria.
No go. They were very nice but said we'd have to go to the CO's office to get a pass. Being on a schedule, we moved on.

The road through the base is a PUBLIC ROAD and does not travel through any secure areas of the base. The entire base itself is FENCED OFF and gated. (Barracks, Admin offices, Cafeteria, Infirmary, motor pool, weapons depo et al)

Not sure about jurisdiction ... but I suppose if the Army decides to close the road ... they could get away with it.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #20
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
in the old days (late 70s, early 80s, when I lived in Pacific Grove), Hunter Liggett would get closed fairly regularlly for a few days to a week at a time while they had live fire exercises. I knew a guy who worked as a civilian scientist contractor who was involved down there when they took apart a Russian Zsu23 to figure out why it was so effective and our really-really-expensive-and-complicated equivalent didn't work for jack (answer? Russian Zsu was really simple and relied on vacuum tube high power pulse radar and analog servo electronics, none of this fancy computerized buzzwha). They also tested the Bradley Sinking Vehicle there in that time frame (Hey, lets bolt some MORE mission requirements onto this pig, and see if it can float!)

More typically, the closures would be for a few hours, you could cue up at the gate, and eventually they'd let a caravan through lead by an MP. I took that option once and got to see a few dozen tanks traipsing across the country side 1/4 mile off the road.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #21
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 538
If you're going to go out Hwy 229 on the way (the section south of Creston is the good part). Be sure to start by taking Pozo Road to HuerHuero Road to Hwy 58. Left turn on 58 and you're right at Hwy 229.

I personally wouldn't want to miss Hi-Mountain Road (dirt from Arroyo Grande to Pozo) but you are starting in Morro Bay and mentioned wanting to avoid dirt roads.

Under the unlikely situation where you can't get through the base, just continue up Jolon to King City. Then just short stint on 101 to the roads leading to Arroyo Seco and Carmel Valley Road (another nice ride through the hills back to Hwy 1).

I also like the inland routes (Indian Valley/Peachtree, Hwy 25, etc.) - you might want to give those a try as well.
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #22
pierce
Aven'Tourer

there's a network of quite good dirt roads going south from the top of naciemento-fergeuson. the South Coast Ridge Rd goes right down the spine, and there's a few roads off it. the ones that go off to the east run into Hunter-Liggett, so you can't go through, and most of the ones on the west don't go to 1. All of them are seasonal. I've not been there, but I've been wanting to go to Prewitt Ridge, overlooking the pacific, which is at the end of a bad road off the South Coast rd.

Prewitt Ridge is 3200' elevation, a big flat open area with nearly sheer drops to the coast on 3 sides. its an unimproved campsite. hangliders use it. so do downhill mountain bikers (they start there, and go down trails to the coast)

I found this video. its from the top of N-F road, and goes to the campsite at Prewitt Ridge... sped up 5:1 and its a 4x4 not a bike, sue me.

that video goes from (A) to (B) here...

View Larger Map

I believe you can ride to (C) and its mostly bad dirt jeep trails. this is *very* remote country.

EDIT see below. Plaskett Rd (C) is closed due to Mad Woman fighting public right of way. Use Los Burros Rd farther south.

pierce screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 04:04 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #23
discoganya
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
This is nice bridge to stop and take a break (at the Eastern end of the road) --

Old 04-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #24
pierce
Aven'Tourer

do they still let you drive across the tank crossing next to the big bridge near the main base?

fish, in November 2000 :)
Old 04-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #25
pierce
Aven'Tourer

The Big Sur coast has to be one of the prettiest places in the world.

(same november 2000 ride)
Old 04-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #26
scotts_4x
lookin for a ride

Oddometer: 45
If you're in morro bay, take the ride posted above FOR SURE! some of.my favorite local roads. Go north on 1 take a right onto old.creek. straight across hwy 46 onto Santa Rosa creek. Make a right onto the dirt at cypress mountain (you could ride a sport bike down this dirt road, was just on it 2 weeks ago) when you hit pavement go left to stay on cypress mountain. Make a right just after the fire station onto chimney rock rd.then make a left onto nacimento lake.road. follow to interlake rd, left onto interlake and that goes all the way to jolon rd. Jolon rd to mission rd on the left. I've never strung that whole route together in the same day but I've ridden them all, and that should be a f'in BLAST.

-scott
scotts_4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #27
Hessian42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
mile marker 11.11 off the "1". Los Burros Rd. super fun maintained double track dirt mountain road, links up to Nacimiento. amazing views and good FREE camping off it.

http://hessianforpatagonia.blogspot.com/

Hessian42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #28
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessian42 View Post
mile marker 11.11 off the "1". Los Burros Rd. super fun maintained double track dirt mountain road, links up to Nacimiento. amazing views and good FREE camping off it.
that would be (B) here.

(A) is the top of Naciemento-Fergie

View Larger Map

pierce screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 03:25 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #29
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

I've camped a couple times up near where the Hang Gliders launch. Nice ride down to the coast. One of those roads is now taken over by a Mad Women who owns property up there. She is in a battle with County for closing public roads. But the one road still goes through all the way. North bound dead ends.

Here is the beginning of the road, coming UP from the coast heading EAST.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #30
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,502
Plaskett Ridge rd is the one that is closed. Los Burros rd takes you down
to HWY1 just north of Gorda.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote