User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
jrod OP
squidless

Oddometer: 141
Lessons Learned

My wife and I took a leisurely stroll Friday Afternoon to our favorite local dirt road. On the way home, we ran into a slight problem when a rock became lodged between the back of the front fender and the tire whilst in a left sweeping turn. Rode the bike into the ditch and then high sided. We were thrown forward and came out in pretty decent shape, considering what had happened.

Fortunately, we were able to get the bike up and going, and drive to the hospital where, luckily, Sharon's hand had an x-ray and no broken bones could be found.

Lesson 1: If you run the TKC on the front, modify your fender for additional clearance. This may or may not make a difference, but it sounds like a good idea right now!

Lesson 2: Any crap attached to the dash or handlebars is going to attempt to grab you upon launching. I had a RAM X holder for my cell phone, mounted on the Strombone. Sharon caught her right leg on it, luckily it just scratched it a bit. It could have been worst. Just installed the Euro sport screen and had it at the lowest setting, thankfully it was not a large screen that may have snagged us.

Lesson 3: All the Gear All the Time No exception. Sharon had Olympia Airglide jacket and pants, Olympia Kevlar gloves, Sidi boots and an Arai helmet. I had Olympia moto x pants, Dainese Jacket, Sidi boots, Aerostich gloves and Shoei Hornet. Again, her hand is in horrible shape but getting better, but nothing is broken, no other rips, tears or broken bones. I took some impact above my left hip.

Lesson 4: The Protaper CR bars are bomb proof, wow!

Lesson 5: The OEM mirrors cannot support the weight of the bike.

Stripped the bike down and am slowly putting it back together. Frame and forks are great, some of the plastic not so good. Madstad bracket was crushed, but straightened out and works well. Happy trails rack snapped and shifted, will have to weld it up, boxes need pounded flat. Left side is bulged out, right side is dented in from the rack. Absolutely no side impact! Front headlights are perfect. Indicators not touched. No dents or broken plastic, just a couple minor cracks.

Need to replace: Mirrors and hand guards. Will install the Elka while it is still apart, and am thinking of a Holeshot exhaust system while Im at it.
jrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Flying Tivo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Gear

I just got my 13GSW and its still in the garage due to my gear not arriving.
Sure makes me feel I'm making good decisions.

Glad it was nothing mayor, lots of NSAID`S and rest.

Felipe
Old 10-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Gener
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I'm glad to hear you were both OK and that you were able to ride out. Too bad about the damage to yourselves and the bike; mostly superficial but still painful (body and pocketbook).
Gener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 266
Glad you and your wife are OK. How friggin' big was this rock?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
jrod OP
squidless

Oddometer: 141
Size

About the size and shape of a half a piece of corn-on-the-cob would best describe it.
jrod is offline   Reply With Quote