Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #106
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Great stuff...

Hey Mr EvilClown...

Damn fine "non ride report" RR! Thanks for all the great info.
Here's to your continued adventures...
R-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #107
EvilClown OP
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzerwheel View Post
After review.....

I didn't say: "Are you ready?"

I said: "You are ready"

A classic case of motorcycliata dyslexiama

gotta start digging into the video archives.....this is gonna get ugly
Um...go back and listen again their, Mister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-W View Post
Hey Mr EvilClown...

Damn fine "non ride report" RR! Thanks for all the great info.
Here's to your continued adventures...

Why, thank you! Whizzerwheel is actually pulling it all together.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #108
whizzerwheel
Using Occam's Razor

Oddometer: 1,228
Onward and Downward..or is that Upward

Who knows...its a lota both

Having an altimeter whoulda been interesting...
WR's in NH and Maine: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733821
whizzerwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:18 AM   #109
EvilClown OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
...We load up and make our way towards it...
But not before Dave busts a move...

...to this tune...

~Augustine of Hippo
Old 05-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #110
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
More praises...

"Why, thank you! Whizzerwheel is actually pulling it all together" .

Well then, kudos to Whizzerwheel also!
R-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #111
whizzerwheel
Using Occam's Razor

The cool thing

about being on the ecuator and sun clocks is....they actually work perfectly. No compensation needed for longitude, latitude, or even attitude.....

When it's siesta time.....it's siesta time...

EvilClown, always the rule follower...no dirty boots on the pavillion...

This is gonna hurt.....
Old 05-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #112
EvilClown OP

We stumble upon the 'other' equator a little ways up the road...

While snapping this shot a bus full of tourists rolls in...

...and start taking pictures of other tourists - us!

I'm sorry, but compared to a motorcycle tour of Ecuador that has got to suck.

We decide to park the bikes and head in...

...we leave all the gear on them - except my GoPro...

We wander around a bit and have an ice cream. Meanwhile, we're told an English speaking tour will start in about 15 minutes. Cool.

After a bit we meet up with our tour guide. Damned if I can think of his name now.

I do remember this, though. That specimen of a fish he's holding up in the jar will reportedly swim up your wienerschnitzel and cause complications.

Well, ok. Let's get real. A smaller version of that type of fish will.

These aren't pets...

Cuyes!

Actual shrunken head...

Interesting stories to go along with it. "...They aren't officially shrinking human heads anymore..." Who's monitoring this stuff? Do you need a permit or something?

Today they use sloths for this ritual...

Various creatures to encourage camping...

BTW, leaving the camping gear behind was a good call.

Finally, we head out to the 'equator'...

...and get the low down on how finding it back in the day without our fancy electronics of today was accomplished...

Hint: sundials were involved.

Amazingly enough, this was taken a little after 3 pm...

Before moving onto the cool experiments they put everyone through a sobriety test...

Dave may have been a bit wobbly here but you should have seen him juggle the oranges!

Then he tries his hand at balancing an egg on the head of a nail...

The 'other' equator marker can be seen in the background from here...

Somewhere along the line - no pun intended - they use a basin to demonstrate the whirlpool direction of swirl on each side of the equator...

This is also where we develop the rest of our itinerary...

~Augustine of Hippo
Old 05-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #113
EvilClown OP

Quote:
When it's siesta time.....it's siesta time...
Wrong country, wrong un-ride report, Mr. F. Jones.

Jus' sayin'.

~Augustine of Hippo
Old 05-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #114
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536

Enjoying the ( non )report.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #115
whizzerwheel
Using Occam's Razor

Something

that never fails to amaze me is the time frame involved in pulling off these expeditions...This was a many year event. Just imagine the travel accomodations.....

Honey....I've got this project the king wants me to do...down in Ecuador...I'll be back in a bit....

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
The French Geodesic Mission (also called the Geodesic Mission to Peru, Geodesic Mission to the Equator and the Spanish-French Geodesic Mission) was an 18th-century expedition to what is now Ecuador carried out for the purpose of measuring the roundness of the Earth and measuring the length of a degree of latitude at the Equator. The mission was one of the first geodesic (or geodetic) missions carried out under modern scientific principles, and the first major international scientific expedition.

Contents

[hide]

Background [edit]

In the 18th century, there was significant debate in the scientific community, specifically in the French Academy of Sciences (Académie des sciences), as to whether the circumference of the Earth was greater around the Equator or around the poles. French astronomer Jacques Cassini held to the view that the polar circumference was greater. Louis XV, the King of France and the Academy sent two expeditions to determine the answer: one was sent to Lapland, close to the North Pole, under Swedish physicist Anders Celsius and French mathematician Pierre Maupertuis. The other mission was sent to Ecuador, at the Equator. Previous accurate measurements had been taken in Paris by Cassini and others.
Expedition [edit]

Ecuador

The equatorial mission was led by French astronomers Charles Marie de La Condamine, Pierre Bouguer, Louis Godin and Spanish geographers Jorge Juan and Antonio de Ulloa. They were accompanied by several assistants, including the naturalist Joseph de Jussieu and Louis's cousin Jean Godin. La Condamine was joined in his journey down the Amazon by Ecuadoran geographer and topographer Pedro Maldonado. (Maldonado later traveled to Europe to continue his scientific work.)
The Ecuadoran expedition left France in May 1735. They landed on the Caribbean coast in Colombia, sailed to Panama where they traveled overland to the Pacific, and continued by sail to Ecuador, then called the Territory of Quito by Spain.[N 1] In Ecuador, they split into two groups, traveling overland through rain forests, arriving in Quito in June 1736.
Bouguer, La Condamine, Godin and their colleagues measured arcs of the Earth’s curvature on the Equator from the plains near Quito to the southern city of Cuenca. These measurements enabled the first accurate determination of the size of the Earth, eventually leading to the establishment of the international metric system of measurement.
They completed their survey measurements by 1739, measuring the length of a meridian arc of three degrees at the Equator. They did this in spite of earlier news that the expedition to Lapland led by Maupertuis had already finished their work and had proven that the Earth is oblate, i.e., flattened at the poles. However, problems with astronomical observations kept them in Ecuador several more years.
Bouguer returned first from the expedition, going overland to the Caribbean and then to France. La Condamine, along with Maldonado, returned by way of the Amazon River. Godin took a position as professor in Lima, where he helped rebuild the city after the devastating 1746 earthquake, and returned to Europe in 1751. Bouguer, La Condamine and the Spanish officers each wrote separate accounts of the expedition, which opened up European eyes to the exotic landscapes, flora and fauna of South America, and led directly to the great naturalist expeditions by Alexander von Humboldt and others.
Observations during the mission [edit]
  • Ulloa and Juan visited the architectural Inca complex in San Agustin de Callo and subsequently wrote a descriptive document of what they observed at the ruins. Ulloa made a drawing of the ruins.[1]
  • The scientists witnessed two eruptions of the Cotopaxi volcano in 1743 and 1744.[1]
Expedition members first came across rubber tapping (and thus rubber), the identification of the correct types of cinchona tree that produce the active form of quinine (anti-malarial agent) and the development of what became the metric system for units of measure.
Subsequent mission [edit]

In the late 19th century, the Academy of Sciences sent another mission to Ecuador at the behest of the International Association of Geodesy to confirm the results of the First Geodesic Mission and commemorate the relationship between the two republics. This second mission was led by Captain E. Maurain and several other military personnel during its tenure in Ecuador from 1901–1906. The only two members of the French mission to spend the entire time in Ecuador were Lieutenant (later General) Georges Perrier and medical officer Paul Rivet, later an important anthropologist and founder of the Musée de l'Homme in Paris.
Monument [edit]

A reproduction of the pyramids that marked the baseline for measurement at Yaruqui (which was destroyed by Quito authorities in the 1740s) was erected in 1836, the centennial of the expedition, by the Rocafuerte administration of the nascent republic of Ecuador. This monument fell into disrepair over the next century but was rebuilt in 1936, minus its original French inscription, for the bicentennial of the first geodesic expedition along with a second pyramid at San Antonio de Pichincha on the equator. These monuments still exist today. The new Quito international airport opened in the Yaruqui valley. Though talks of having a mural celebrating the Geodesic Mission took place during planning stages, no acknowledgement of the scientific importance of this site currently exists.
In 1936, the French American Committee of Ecuador sponsored the idea of the Ecuadoran geographer Dr. Luis Tufiño and raised a monument commemorating the bicentennial of the arrival of the First Geodesic Mission. They raised a 10-meter-high monument at Mitad del Mundo in San Antonio de Pichincha, in Pichincha Province of Ecuador. However, there is no record that the Mission ever visited the area. Moreover, the monument bears a suspicious resemblance to a fictitious pyramid in Frederic Edwin Church's painting "Cayambe" rather than to any actual Ecuadorian site.
There is a project to build a new pyramid on the Equator designed by famed architect Rafael Viñoly.

Unsolicited editorial:

of Course the Incan's had this figured out hundreds of years previous to this.....The French just have to keep kicking the dead horse....then eat it as well..........

In case anybody cared....

Damn....my neck is getting a little tender....

This is the Andes after all...

I think I heard Hektoglider refer to it as "nuclear sun" in his awesome ride report...

whizzerwheel screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 11:21 AM
Old 05-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #116
EvilClown OP

Quote:
...The French Geodesic Mission (also called the Geodesic Mission to Peru, Geodesic Mission to the Equator and the Spanish-French Geodesic Mission) was an 18th-century expedition to what is now Ecuador carried out for the purpose of measuring the roundness of the Earth and measuring the length of a degree of latitude at the Equator. The mission was one of the first geodesic (or geodetic) missions carried out under modern scientific principles, and the first major international scientific expedition...
Thanks, Cliff.

Of course, I think I bored Dave to tears on the plane reading about some of the back stories involved in their expedition. Rest assured there was a woman involved and I seem to recall someone actually got beaten and stabbed to death over her.

The Big Bang Theory has nothing on these scientists.

On the way out...

~Augustine of Hippo
Old 05-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #117
whizzerwheel
Using Occam's Razor

Hmmmpf

Pepe sez.................

Go take a siesta.................................

Old 05-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #118
EvilClown OP

We pack it in and find our way out of town...

Ironically, we're in search of a room...

"I don't see any down there..."

We keep riding down into the valley just in case we missed one.

Some kind of mining operation...

Slim pickin's for rooms, we stop in the next village and see if someone can point us towards a hotel...

Surely, someone here can help us...

If the dog could talk he'd say, "These gringos are sooooo screwed...."

It was a fun exchange. We learn we're continuing on...

We eventually reach another village. Through a series of miscommunications we end up in front of a place we think is the local hotel. There in the street are a bunch of the locals playing some kind of game...

We chat as best we can and observe. I ask one of the guys what they're playing in a way that only I can butcher. He tells me to watch...

I don't catch it all on the video but that's a 'top' he throws into what I'll call a puck. He first yanks the string wrapped around it and gets it spinning before he carefully picks up the spinning top and throws it at the puck sending the puck, like a missle, down the street. Then they all chase it. I believe they just keep on moving down he street from where ever it comes to a rest.

There doesn't seem to be any concern for what the puck hits along the way.

Hoping miguelitro or someone will jump in here and tell us what it's called and the object of the game.

Either way, it was one of those cool glimpses into another culture that you can only stumble onto.

~Augustine of Hippo
Old 05-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #119
EvilClown OP

Around the 2 minute mark (I've got no way to edit these GoPro videos, yet) you can begin to get a feel for how deep into the valley we'll be traveling to come up on the other side...

You can also see why it takes so long to move an inch on the map. Their straight line may =14 kilometers. When you get out in the field these are the type of roads you encounter - not that that's a bad thing.

~Augustine of Hippo
Old 05-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #120
whizzerwheel
Using Occam's Razor

Cliff sez:

Every community it seems, depending on its size, has either a little church or a large elaborate church at the center of town. This is pretty much without exception. There is also without exception a park or gathering place in the center of town. Every evening this area comes alive with people playing games, talking, or just sitting around and watching the goings on. I've decided this is a cultural phenomenon...when there is no t.v. very few cellphones, and minimal computers, people actually interact with each other...and look forward to doing it. Think about all those town greens with a pretty little gazebo in the middle of them back in the states, that sit starkly empty every day and night. Pleasing to the eye but providing little to no functional value to the people that live near them.