ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2015, 06:52 AM   #1
IrishXJ OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Possibly moving to Phoenix.

So, I got news from my employer last week that my position is going to be terminated (As well as hundreds of others like mine across the company.) this time next year. Major bummer. I quite liked my job. Of course, they let me know about the massive layoffs after buying a new bike.

I've already been offered a guaranteed position in Phoenix -- offered to me at anytime of the year that I feel like going down to take it and with a significant moving expense bonus. It's a position I don't want (Call center environment.), but something I will likely have to do. Employment prospects in my neck of the woods in Kentucky are not plentiful with the current pay grade I've currently got.

What sort of riding opportunities are there around Phoenix? I flew over a few years ago and made note of a lot of dirt roads on the way in, but I've got no clue. Tonto National Forest looks to be right on Phoenix's doorstep, so that looks promising.

For the LadyIrish, what sort of things is there for her? Shopping, neat sights, etc? I imagine that giant hole in the ground called the Grand Canyon would likely get boring quick.

Any helpful hints on neighborhoods to avoid renting at or places to stay my pale butt out of? What SPF do I need ? IS IT REALLY THAT HOT?

The worst part of all of this is the fact that I've got to leave the '85 Rebel behind. I'm taking my truck and a trailer with our stuff in one go, flying back for the KLR, and taking a cross-country tour back on that. I'm going to miss that little 250, though.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,234
There is great street and dirt riding around Phoenix. Yes it does get that hot. Get your a/c serviced!!! I was warned against Glendale and ended up in the Good part of El Mirage. Their is stuff for the missus depending on what she likes. Give me a call sometime: 573.528.5212.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
nmtrialsguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Eek Phoenix is HUGE

The metro area of Phoenix is HUGE, so I would think you want to be somewhere near your employment location, you may get more feedback if you can tell where you will work! Good luck anyway and take your time.
There is a lot of riding around Phoenix!
Baja Survivor: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1046271
nmtrialsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #4
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
I was warned against Glendale and ended up in the Good part of El Mirage.
Warned against living in Glendale and found a good part of El Mirage. Now that is the first time I heard a comment like this.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #5
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
Warned against living in Glendale and found a good part of El Mirage. Now that is the first time I heard a comment like this.
Different strokes I guess
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
OR Trail
looks for unlocked gates

Oddometer: 363
We're fairly new here and found a great bit of riding. Mountain biking and hiking are fantastic too. I picked up trials, plus the desert riding is incredible. The Tonto NF goes on and on - days of exploring there. Altitude cools things off quick.

I gave up on street riding in the metro area after being a daily rider for over 20 years - I find it's too risky and stressful. Already had 1 car hit twice, the second time being a major T-bone. Think high in-town speed limits with drivers hell bent on going way over them, running red lights, glued to a phone texting.
OR Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:38 PM   #7
IrishXJ OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
There is great street and dirt riding around Phoenix. Yes it does get that hot. Get your a/c serviced!!! I was warned against Glendale and ended up in the Good part of El Mirage. Their is stuff for the missus depending on what she likes. Give me a call sometime: 573.528.5212.
I'll keep your number in my phone. As I get closer to being able to make a decision (They're flying me out to Phoenix on the company dime in a few weeks/months to let me visit the location.), I might give you a holler. I'll PM you here first, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmtrialsguy View Post
The metro area of Phoenix is HUGE, so I would think you want to be somewhere near your employment location, you may get more feedback if you can tell where you will work! Good luck anyway and take your time.
There is a lot of riding around Phoenix!
Since the layoffs haven't been made public and I like keeping myself and my company separate at all possible, I can at least say that it's only a few miles east of Glendale.

I just looked a bit more in-depth at the map of the Phoenix Metro area and compared it to nearby Louisville. I was expecting the two cities to be similar in size. Holy crap, Phoenix is huge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OR Trail View Post
We're fairly new here and found a great bit of riding. Mountain biking and hiking are fantastic too. I picked up trials, plus the desert riding is incredible. The Tonto NF goes on and on - days of exploring there. Altitude cools things off quick.

I gave up on street riding in the metro area after being a daily rider for over 20 years - I find it's too risky and stressful. Already had 1 car hit twice, the second time being a major T-bone. Think high in-town speed limits with drivers hell bent on going way over them, running red lights, glued to a phone texting.
That's alright with me. Depending on the time of year, I try to ride the bike into work -- though usually I find an excuse not to. Too tired, too sleepy, too late, too rainy, too hot, too cold. I'll most be riding weekends and on vacation days around the area to the local deserts. Now, getting there out of the metro area?

... Gonna go put more reflective tape on my KLR.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:16 PM   #8
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,331
Phoenix area... huge growing metropolis... great riding everywhere once you become accustomed to desert scenery... more restaurants, malls, golf courses and manicured lawns than you can imagine... although the lawns are made of sculpted rock gardens rather than grass.

Lock the job in.... be an adventurer... you'll be entering a bigger economy that will allow you better long term options even if you move elsewhere later in life.

Guests are encouraged.

Jeff aka BOLT screwed with this post 03-29-2015 at 07:52 PM
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #9
verboten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Hot is easier than cold IMHO.
More riding in AZ than you can do in decades of trips.
Housing is cheap.
Live close to work, driving across town during rush hour sucks.
30-60 minutes in any direction = trails.
Move before the end of April, moving furniture in the summer in no Bueno.
Good luck!
verboten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #10
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,952
What Verboten said....

If you want to ride year round, choosing a domicile in north Phoenix will get you out of the valley to altitude quickest.

We in Maricopa county communicate our whereabouts by stating the closest cross streets. Like, I live at 35th Ave and the 101. That get's you within a mile of the actual location and since Maricopa county is like a giant square mesh of roads, it's super easy to get around. Neighborhoods vary mile to mile, so find someplace nice close to where you work. Traffic hasn't been getting any better over the years. I live 30 miles from work and if I start at 6AM, I can get there in 25 minutes. However, getting home at 5PM takes over an hour during the TPC/Barrett Jackson/Super Bowl/Spring Training season (Jan-Mar). Travel times are pretty short during summer when the schools are out.

Oh, yeah, the riding is EPIC!!

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM   #11
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,161
In 1984 my firm transferred me from the SF Bay Area to Phoenix. I lived here for about 4 years until the next transfer. I always new I'd be back. Last year I bought a patio home in north Scottsdale to spend my winters. I shipped two bikes and set up my garage to service them. Within 5 miles I can be riding up into the high country on my sport bike, or hitting the many dirt paths on my little dual sport. Within 2 hours riding I can be in alpine forests or grassland for cattle ranching. Of course the Sonoran Desert surrounds me and has its own special appeal.

Culturally, the area is a full blown city and all that means. You need never be for lack of something interesting to do. Plus I think the restaurants here are better than NYC or Boston. They rival San Francisco. Then there is the big time pro and NCAA sports! Arizona State is right here and they are always a force. The Diamondbacks Stadium even host Supercross!

I think the 'livin' is easy' around these parts. You should take a job here and rent for awhile. The summer will be a challenge the first year, but not after that. If you get through that you will stay I think.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM   #12
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 26,626
moved from NYC to AZ coming up on 6 years due to similar circumstances. one of the best decisions I have even made.

Although, I'm not sure I could deal in a call center environment.

Good luck.
Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM   #13
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 26,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishXJ View Post

I just looked a bit more in-depth at the map of the Phoenix Metro area and compared it to nearby Louisville. I was expecting the two cities to be similar in size. Holy crap, Phoenix is huge!
..-.

The 6th largest city in the US. People forget that and think that all of AZ is just one big arid desert.

Your KLR will be right at home here. I ride to work year round and while it sucks in the mid months at least bikes can jump on the HOV lanes on the freeways. For this being such a big city traffic is fairly light. I know the natives think I'm crazy but this is NOTHING compared to other big cities around the US.
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM   #14
IrishXJ OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Although, I'm not sure I could deal in a call center environment.
That's my biggest worry about the move. I've worked in a call center environment and the setting was a complete nightmare each time I went into work. On the other hand, it was working for a far less pleasant company. Regardless, I think if I can talk them into allowing me to work four ten-hour shifts or three twelves a week, I can suck that up and do some riding everyday that I can.

I appreciate all of the advice and info, guys. I have a call with HR within the next two weeks. Spoke to my manager this morning. Looking at a moving date between December-February. He seems to think I'm going to get a pay raise out of the whole thing and a promotion to supervise my own team. Sweet riding, weather and my own team of minions? Where do I sign?

In the meanwhile, I'm going to ride the snot out of Kentucky!