Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
epicwin OP
Young and handsome

Oddometer: 4
How much value can aftermarket improvements add to a bike?

So my situation is that I'm looking at a 2003 KLR that I'm thinking is a little pricey, but I figured I'd try to ask my question in a way that will hopefully be useful to others as well.

How much value can farkles, aftermarket shocks, crash bars, etc add to a bike? I see this ten year old bike, and the fella is asking nearly $4000 for it, and I do the math in my head and it sounds right considering all the stuff he's put into it. At the same time, it's still a ten year old bike with almost 20,000 miles on it.

Sorry I don't have much of a question here. I'm just wrestling with a potential purchase here. I particularly like the work on the shocks, since I'm hoping to ride two up with my wife on this bike, but I'm struggling at spending so much on a bike with that many miles.
epicwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,555
Unless the aftermarket addons are exactly what you want don't give them
too much weight. Yes he spent a bunch of money in them. If he wants his money back he should part it out and sell the bike stock. You never recoupe the money put into modifying a bike because the next buyer won't want the same things you do.

The only exception would be hard luggage. That might increase the overall value by no more than 50% of the new price of the identical luggage, but only if it's luggage you want.

When it's all said and done the farkles are just as used as the bike and some times more troublesome than stock down the road.

Typos and nonsensical words courtesy of fat fingers on a make believe keyboard.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
I think your seller would be lucky to get 40-50 cents to the dollar for the aftermarket parts.
If the suspension hasn't been recently serviced then maybe less.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,477
If its what you would want to do anyway, why not. You said almost 4 thousand, so 3500 bucks for a bike that's ready to go, not a bad deal. I have 900 bucks into the suspension on my dr650 and it was worth every penny. I'm sure a klr is just as bad stock as my dr was. 20,000 miles, get the valves adjusted and do a compression check. Clutch plates are easy.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
Treebone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
You can find a buttload of KLR's on the market right now by going to searchtempest dot com. You might have to drive a couple hundred miles, but may be worth the effort.
That 03 must have suspension made from unobtanium to make it worth that money.
For example, there is a 2012 with 2000 miles up in CO, asking 4500. and I bet it goes begging.
If you jump on a high priced older bike, you might end up kicking yourself when you realize there were some REALLY good deals to be had with just a little bit of searching.
Besides that, the later generation KLR already has decent suspension (compared to the first generation)
Treebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
IMO - Aftermarket stuff usually has zero value, as far as re-sale value goes. There are some exceptions, as mentioned here - hard luggage being one. An aftermarket shock is also usually a bonus, providing that it is the correct make and model for the bike.
To me, and aftermarket pipe actually *decreases* value, unless the original (in good condition) is included.
From a buyers perspective:
Jetting - Zero
Tires - Zero
Graphics - Zero
Pipe/muffler - Minus (unless original is included - then, neutral)
Motor work - Minus
Suspension work - Zero
Seat - Possibly a plus, depending on make/model
Protection, Hand guards, skid plate - Good ones? OK, maybe $25.
Custom paint - Minus (unless you are talking about an already over-priced cruiser)

A bike with new tires, chain & sprockets, documented valve inspection/maintenance, with original paint, and exhaust will probably be the highest priced specimen of any bike on the market. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule - like if you find a real KR TZ750, or an ELR that was actually raced/ridden by these folks, or an RZ350, with Toomey pipes (as well as the originals).
In terms of the KLR you are looking at, to me, the rear shock may hold *some* value, but not the $600 or so the owner paid for it.
JMO.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
If you are the seller; 80-90%
If you are the buyer, 10% (according to the buyers on this forum......)

:)
everetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,979
epictwin, what is the value of the farkles to YOU?

Think about it; would you pay the premium for the outfitted bike, or . . . buy a cheaper stocker, and then go out and BUY, at full price RETAIL, the accessories and mods the existing bike already possesses?

Where lies your price advantage, in these two cases?
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Sometimes a bike can even be worth less with mods depending on how hacked up the bike got. Good service and maintenance is great, but that's easy work anyone can do. Aftermarket stuff can take a bit of work to make fit right and depending on who did that work it can end up being done in a rather hackish manner. You might end up buying a bike with a bunch of stripped out bolt holes, wiring run wrong, or shit hammered into place. Also with pipes people can do a terrible jet job or not jet or tune them at all, then you're buying a bike that was run lean for who know's how long.

So you may get the mods with the purchase, but you might pay for them later. Remember their's no such thing as a free lunch.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
surlywill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Seems overpriced to me. Im in N Arizona and a fully farkled gen1 would not go for more than 3 grand. See a lot of gen2 with low miles go in the
3-4 grand range.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,560
No comment on whether $4000 is a good price for a KLR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
IMO - Aftermarket stuff usually has zero value
Don't agree that it's zero value on all parts. Some zero yes, other desireable ones probably add 20-30% of parts value (seller could remove them and get 60% off-bike here in the Flea Market).

Quote:
Suspension work - Zero
Not Zero. Getting the suspension sorted is probably the #1 modification you can make to a bike and lets face it, the KLR needs all the help it can get.

I can't imagine anything exotic was done to the aftermarket shock (though I'd check) so it's probably just a matter of is it a good shock and does the spring rate match (else factor in cost of replacing spring).

I tend to shy away from bikes (usually dirt) where the suspension has been "revalved" unless the seller can give really precise info on what was done and I think it matches me/my riding style.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer: 823
Only mods I will credit a seller of a bike is cosmetic, non performance based mods, and even then its not for what they paid for em..

If a seller has say put hand guards, hard bags, I might credit em with fifty cents on the dollar..

Unless you are buying a bike from a friend and know the performance mods are done right, you never know what your getting into.. The mods might be great and done right ie not harmfull but they might not be to your taste... You can never be 100% sure that you can easily put it back to stock (if the parts are available) or what you will have to do to change something, as you would with a stocker..

I certainly would NOT credit or add $500 bucks to the cost of a bike, if the seller had spent that for say adding a Big Gun exhaust.....

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
hondahawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Just the fact that I rode a bike, adds several hundred dollars, if not thousands, to the value.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
From what Ive seen,even if a buyer really wants the extras and they're just what he would put on anyway...............Still wont pay pennies on the dollar for em.

Ive stripped every bike Ive sold of all expensive extras possible in the last 5 years or so. Easy to sell the extras separate,worth nothing when mounted on bike. Buyers always try to hammer a seller down so it only makes sense to sell a bike bare bones.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondahawkrider View Post
Only mods I will credit a seller of a bike is cosmetic, non performance based mods, and even then its not for what they paid for em..

If a seller has say put hand guards, hard bags, I might credit em with fifty cents on the dollar..

Unless you are buying a bike from a friend and know the performance mods are done right, you never know what your getting into.. The mods might be great and done right ie not harmfull but they might not be to your taste... You can never be 100% sure that you can easily put it back to stock (if the parts are available) or what you will have to do to change something, as you would with a stocker..

I certainly would NOT credit or add $500 bucks to the cost of a bike, if the seller had spent that for say adding a Big Gun exhaust.....
I would much rather the carb/exhaust/engine be stock on a used bike,ups the value for me.
Guys can and do screw bikes up royal trying to outguess a factory engineer,they think it makes more power cause it makes more noise,not always true by any means.
Backyard jetting usually works ok at the altitude the bike lives at,then blows black smoke and gets crap mileage when higher altitude is encountered,very common.