Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #16
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Oddometer: 479
[QUOTE=LilGreenBooger;21257610]Good to see that you're well enough to start this thread Craig.

Myself, Fredgreen, and C-Stain were out for a ride. I was on point, on a nimble fast KLR, C-Stain on his GS, and sweeping the rear was Fred on his new Ural Gear-up. I was riding like an asshole,scrambling really fast, and I blame myself partially for the accident; if I wasn't riding so fast, C-stain might not have been riding so fast. Mrs.Stain has told me that it's not my fault, but I still feel bad.

So I was riding fast, jumping little bumps, rocks, and kicking the rear out on the corners. I've been riding off-road for 25 years...and I'm 30. I'm in my element. I just got a new (to me) modified KLR, and I'm diggin it. Every 5 minutes or so, C-Stain and I would pull over, and wait for Fred. We'd have a smoke, or shoot the shit or whatever, but this was our MO. I was surprised that C-stain was staying right on my 6 in a set of ruts/whoops, and as I rounded a corner, and wheelied up a hill, I realized he wasn't behind me anymore. slow down....stop....kill motor. Silence. Take a piss...silence.

I 180 and find him right about where I saw him last in the mirror. I shut off, dismount, and remove my helmet, thinking he needs help to right his bike, and shake it off. he tells me his leg is broken, and not to touch him because he's comfortable. what he really wants is a smoke. I get his smokes, but his lighter is in a pocket under him. in true KLR fashion, I rev up my bike and light his cig off the header pipe. He called me MacGruber.

I get Fred and we do a 911 call. Give GPS coordinates. FD will be first on scene. I ride out 8km and meet them, lead them right to him. about an hour later a crown vic and a pretty lady cop get there. Then another hour later the ambulance gets there, and craig gets his drugs...but it doesn't seem like enough - scroll up for x-rays. after some crafty maneuvering with a backboard and the stretcher, they get him loaded in the ambulance...to cut his boot off.

I rode the GS out to a waiting trailer to take the bike home for him. Fred took me back to my bike in the Ural, and sorry to say, it was the highlight of the day for me.

Some Pics:

The day started out great.

This is the type of trail we were on:

My Bike, and C-Stain & GS in background:

Fredgreen:

C-Stain had a minor get-off and had to summon Russian Tech Support to fix a bent shifter...of course I had to summon Russian Tech Support earlier that day for the KLR, so I don't hold it against him too much, lol:

So I decided I would be a good friend, and not take his pic while he was lying there, before help came. after help came, it was fair game!

The nice firefighters gave him some blankets, to cover his ugly ass up. he could still smoke though:

The Paramedics arrive, and after teasing the shit out of him...because he's a paramedic, and he works with them...they juice him up with some feel-good.

That's a pretty good yarn Nate, buts here's the truth about what really happendid: 11 am meet up at Timmy's, Nate calls to say he can't get a spark plug out of a KLR without adult supervision, Craig and I decide that although we aren't really adults, we should ride across the width of Nova Scotia and show him how to get the plug out of a 1 cylinder bike. With that accomplished we bugger off down the road into the woods. While demonstrated the Ural's ability to go fast and wheelie down the road (actual photographic evidence):

Craig decides to emulate this wheelie with one of his own. About this time Nate goes by on the Supersonic KLR waving a pack of smokes and Craig goes off in chase like a dog after a kong ball. Nate then threw the smokes on the road, Craig looks down, breaking his concentration and the rest is like Nate said. This is my story and I'm sticking to it!
fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #17
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,663

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #18
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
[QUOTE=fredgreen;21259519
About this time Nate goes by on the Supersonic KLR waving a pack of smokes and Craig goes off in chase like a dog after a kong ball. Nate then threw the smokes on the road, Craig looks down, breaking his concentration and the rest is like Nate said. This is my story and I'm sticking to it![/QUOTE]

BAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Sorry about the leg! but that was funny.
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #19
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
So sorry to hear Craig.

FreddieG was kind enough to fill us in on the dualsport site this am.

This reinforces that fact that we should always ride with someone if at all possible. Especially if they have a camera.

Rest up and hopefully the bike wasn't too badly damaged.
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,069
Oh man.......

What a fucking bummer!!! I love the stories you guys whipped up to go along with the truth. Good friends are worth their weight in gold, and so glad you weren't alone. Man, heal up!!! Pronto!!!!!
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #21
JoshBMW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Man C hope ya feel better soon!

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." Don Nelson my friend gone from us, 06/06/04.
JoshBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #22
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
This is why I try not to ride alone, Swift recovery wishes and glad you had such good friends with you! Cheers!
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #23
PrtclMn001
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 979
Aw, man. Sorry to hear about your get off :(

Hope you heal up fast.

Your friends are a hoot.
PrtclMn001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #24
C-Stain OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrtclMn001 View Post
Aw, man. Sorry to hear about your get off :(

Hope you heal up fast.

Your friends are a hoot.
Yes, they are. A guy couldn't ask for a better bunch of friends to go riding with. Now if I'll be ABLE to get riding again before NEXT season starts, I'll be happy.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #25
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Yes, they are. A guy couldn't ask for a better bunch of friends to go riding with. Now if I'll be ABLE to get riding again before NEXT season starts, I'll be happy.
+1

...especially since we now have a guy with a Ural that can carry the beer...

Old 04-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #26
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
+1

...especially since we now have a guy with a Ural that can carry the beer...
What you don't carry it in the milk crate like I do?
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #27
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtReeper View Post
um, I ride a KLR...the milkcrate has all the extra oil and duct tape I need...

Old 04-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #28
C-Stain OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtReeper View Post
Easy! The Ural carries MORE beer and carries it covered in ice in a cooler! Sheesh!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #29
kl Richard
This is a Dark Ride!!

Oddometer: 107
WOW....a well told wreck story.

I hope you heal up soon Craig.

Last time I read a story this well documented, including pics, was on NSDSC, many years ago.....I think it was a ride report titled "Pipe Line Bunnies" very graphic, not for those with a weak stomach. The guy that crashed was known localy as Buskie.

On Xmas eve the same year(2007)I think; I suffered a broken right hand do to a son that wasn't well educated in the art of bump starting a contankerous KLR....my fault!

Buskie and I encountered each other quite frequently in rehab. He regretted not wearing his boots that day, and I admitted that my boy was suffering from his youth. Some of you will recognize the typical responses.
"I Know I Know, you don't have to tell me how to do it.

Cost me a broken hand, which took 10 hours in emergency, to get an X ray and for the medicos to decide to splint it and let it heal....come back in a couple weeks....

Still not 100% but I can get out on the ol KLR once in awhile.
kl Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #30
kl Richard
This is a Dark Ride!!

Oddometer: 107
WOW....a well told wreck story.

I hope you heal up soon Craig.

Last time I read a story this well documented, including pics, was on NSDSC, many years ago.....I think it was a ride report titled "Pipe Line Bunnies" very graphic, not for those with a weak stomach. The guy that crashed was known localy as Buskie.

On Xmas eve the same year(2007)I think; I suffered a broken right hand do to a son that wasn't well educated in the art of bump starting a contankerous KLR....my fault!

Buskie and I encountered each other quite frequently in rehab. He regretted not wearing his boots that day, and I admitted that my boy was suffering from his youth. Some of you will recognize the typical responses.
"I Know I Know, you don't have to tell me how to do it.

Cost me a broken hand, which took 10 hours in emergency, to get an X ray and for the medicos to decide to splint it and let it heal....come back in a couple weeks....

Still not 100% but I can get out on the ol KLR once in awhile.
kl Richard is offline   Reply With Quote