Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 02:08 AM   #1
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
A Viking searching for the south east end of Europe.

Hi, here goes nothing..
I have been lurking this forum for a few years and i have loved every minute reading. specialy the ride reports. All this great reports and all the inspiering riders have inspired me to do my own epic ride. Not epic in the scale of most reports here but to me it is epic. I also wat to give somthing back to ADV community, so will try to do a report. Even if my english skill will limit my ability to do so. I hope you have patience.
The plan is to leave Norway 3 may. Maybe a day earlier if work will let me. Then im heading sout east and hopfully il end up on the south coast of Turkey before the 11 may. My wife and daughter is flying down then and will meet up with me for a week of relaxation. We have a holiday apartment there and when they fly back home im packing the bike again and hedding north.
This is the planned route down

And this is the return.

Will be fun to get back home and see what i ended up doing compared to the original plan.

So what do i ride.. ITs not a adveture type bike but a road warrior.

I hope to be back at the end of may as 4 weeks is the time i have off from work.
I'm hoping to do a "live"report but if that dont work out i will write the report when i return.

The Rider:
Im 39 years old, hopfully 40 in july. Married and have a 13 year old daughter. Normaly she ride with me on all my rides but this one she is flying. Her mother wont let her go on this one and she is not happy about itShe love two things and thats riding with me on my bike and her special efects makeup. She have a blog going so if anyone of you care to have a look she would love to get some more views. http://justmakeup.blogg.no/
Thanx to anyone taking the time to have a look. Might make her less sad over not comming with me.
My wife ride a bike to but sadly she have a bad knee so cant come with me on anything this long. So this is my ego trip. No one else to care about but myself.

This will be it for now i need to go and sort my gear and do some packing.
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:11 AM   #2
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Sounds good, and you have the perfect missile for the job, built to cross continents quickly.
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:27 AM   #3
Chev.
The Final Drive?

Oddometer: 157
Go Johnny - go!

Best wishes for your ride, from annother Norwegian.

Modifications on my 2003
Chev. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The big day is here. Im leaving at 1300. Ferry to Denmark at 1630 and thats the last of my fixed plans. If you dont have a plan it cant go wrong.

Here is the gear that i have packed.
Had room for it all exept the cat. she will be staying at home.

Weather here is not great. Just a tiny bit over freezing and windly, but luckely no rain today. I hope the weather improve as i travel south.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This is it, im on my adventure. I will travel unknown lands, experience unknown culture, strange people, concour high montain passes. Like a templar knight i set out to slay the hords of Mordor, kill Dragons and rescue virgins in there tow.... oh back to reality.
Im still in Norway, 1 hr from home. Waithing for the ferry that will take me to Denmark. a ferry i have been on hundreds times before.

But this is MY adventure and even if it dont reach the level of all the other RR on this great forum its still my epic adventure and i DO feel like a Templar knight off to the far East

Here is a pic of my setup before leaving.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
Andyflex
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Subscribed

Im with you on this one fellow viking
Andyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
AlpineGuerrilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Love your enthusiasm about the trip. I'm following.
AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
djminta
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Subscribed

Enjoy your trip. I lived in Germany for three years and had great fun riding there, the Alps and the Dolomites in Italy. Be safe.
djminta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
ramscab
rams

Oddometer: 3
I'm in - enjoy the trip and all its beauty.
ramscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Awesome! Can't wait to hear more about this.

When I was planning my loop from Munich to Istanbul and back, I got some really good advice to avoid the Adriatic coast and instead explore further inland through Albania, etc. The coast looks like it would be fun, but the traffic and the tourist dives make it unpleasant in the extreme. The inland route is much less travelled, but still easily navigable on your bike.

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The ferry arrived on time and I got the bike strapped down securely, in fact i think the bike was so secure even a hurricane would not have made me worry.

The sea was calm and we reached Denmark my bike was where i left it and unharmed. Don't even think it was lonely as another Kawasaki and a Yamaha was there for company.

I ate (to much) a nice dinner and sat on the rear deck enjoying the sun and sea.

Highways in Denmark is often windy so I was not looking forward to the riding, as i only planed on staying on the highway and find some place to spend the night quickly so i could get up early next morning to start my Iron Butt ride. But it was not so bad and i did a few more km then I thought i would.

The Hotel was nothing fancy but warm and clean and only 60 Euro. And i must say i did love the parking.

I was less happy about what i found when i opened my right pannier and found coke all over it. One of the coke cans i bough on the ferry was leaking.

Thankfully the damage was minimal. Only one pair of socks was soaked, the rest was packed in plastic bags. First 30 min at the hotel was spent cleaning the pannier. And i don't think it ever have been this clean before.
Should be all set for a good night sleep now. And only need to repack the pannier before setting off tomorrow. hoping to reach Wien before sunset, 1000 miles from here.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
Kurro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
This is it, im on my adventure. I will travel unknown lands, experience unknown culture, strange people, concour high montain passes. Like a templar knight i set out to slay the hords of Mordor, kill Dragons and rescue virgins in there tow....

I like this...... if you find a lot virgins, run !!!

Safe ride Johnny
Kurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
Coots
That's what she said

Oddometer: 155
Shibby

In on this one, should be great. Where are you meeting your daughter at? Good on you for keeping them involved in your plans. Ride safe..

03 DL1000 "Bumble Bee"
91 XT600
03 SV650S SOLD
Coots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #14
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My wife anddaughteris flying ti Antalya on the south coast of Turkey. Two hours from where my step father have a holyday apartment. 11 to 18 may will be with them relaxin.

Here is a pic of me and my daughter when i stoped at her school before setting off.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:41 AM   #15
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTh View Post

But this is MY adventure and even if it dont reach the level of all the other RR on this great forum its still my epic adventure and i DO feel like a Templar knight off to the far East
This made me smile. I'm really looking forward to following your adventure.

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote