Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
KTMSAM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Duluth MN to Pikes Peak International Hill Climb 2013

INTRODUCTION:
I've been a long time follower and fan of the PPIHC and it has been a dream of mine for over a decade to make it to the mountain and spectate the race first hand. I was hoping to make it there before the road was entirely paved, but I wasn't able to make it happen. So last fall I decided that 2013 was going to be the year of Pikes Peak for me.
During the same time that I was thinking of this trip, I started to seriously consider getting a new bike also, so after a few weeks of trying to decide what I would get, I put my 2008 KTM Super Duke up for sale. I then called my KTM dealership and they had a trade that I couldn't refuse for a brand new 2012 990 Adventure. So I went for it!

THE PLAN SO FAR:
I started asking around with my friends and family and immediately found 2 guys to come with me that live in Minneapolis. (both guys will be on street bikes, so I wont be able to explore many back country roads along the way) There are a couple of guys that might come, but we are hoping for 4 guys total since we already purchased the tickets and it would make 2 people per tent. We also purchased Sena SMH-10's so that we can converse during the trip.
We plan to leave Minneapolis on the Thursday morning before the race (June 27), and head straight west into South Dakota and continuing on until the Black Hills and Mt. Rushmore. Somewhere in this area we plan to find a place to set up camp for the night. Friday morning we will continue south through the Rocky's (trying to find the most scenic/fun route) until we get to the Colorado Springs area where we will find a place to camp again, or possibly get a hotel room if we decide it's needed.
Saturday morning will be open for us to explore anything that we chose or maybe see what Colorado Springs has to offer, and then at noon Pikes Peak opens and we will head there to set up our reserved campsites at Glen Cove (The highest elevation campground available that night). We will hang out on the mountain and soak up all the beautiful scenery for the day and then anxiously await the start of the race on Sunday morning.
Sunday night we will pack up our things and head off of the mountain to repeat our trip in the other direction. Possibly putting a fresh set of tires on in Colorado Springs depending on how much life is left on them. We plan to be home either Tuesday night or Wednesday.

QUESTIONS:
- Do any of you have any other recommendations for our trip?
Places to stay? Roads to ride on?
- Best place to spectate the race where we can see multiple corners from one spot?
- Places to go around Colorado Springs on Friday night/Saturday morning?
- Anything else you'd like to add?

Thanks ahead of time, I greatly appreciate any input!
KTMSAM
Old 04-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,295
I can suggest a hotel if you need one, and I'd be glad to meet you guys for a beer or three on Friday night. I'll be working the race, so I probably won't be able to ride on Sat morning, but heading up Old Stage/Gold Camp to Cripple Creek, then looping around to the Pikes Peak highway would be my suggestion....pretty much circling the peak.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
KTMSAM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Thanks CJ, once the time comes and we have a better idea of our agenda, I will definitely let you know if we have time to meet up for a meal or something. Those roads look great also
Old 04-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,250
When we were there, we stayed at the Pikes Peak Inn in Manitou Springs. The back room on the second floor has two bedrooms, and a balcony that overlooks the creek below. It was cheap, but that wasn't during the PPHC event.

Adam's Mountain Cafe was really good. We tried to eat someplace different every time, but ate there both nights we were in Manitou Springs because we liked it so well.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote