ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #1
Cheddarhead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Cool2 Motorcycle Rental Recommendation: Berkeley area

Greetings from Flyover Country!

I'll be in Berkeley for the week of 29 March - 4 April...I get to meet my (now) one-day old Granddaughter for the first time!

Thinking that I should plan a day rental to do some local touring...strictly flower-sniffing pace, as I won't know the roads / traffic patterns / handling characteristics of the 'cycle. In all honesty, I'm just a slow rider, but the other stuff makes it sound much better-er.

So...any local recommendations on a rental shop I should support...or one to stay away from?

My current ride is an ST1300...so I'm used to a heavier bike. It's possible that I'll be riding two-up, although it could be just me going solo. In any case I won't be (intentionally) scraping pegs and such.

I intend to be back in the area again later in the year, so I don't need to see / do it all in one day...but what sights / destinations are "must-see" from your local perspective? I do have a very strong desire to visit the Giant Redwoods...anything else is / will be a bonus.

Thanks in advance!
Cheddarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
Sfcootz
Banninated

Oddometer: 3,443
Yes, contact Dubbelju in SF.

http://www.dubbelju.com/

Viva la figa
Sfcootz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
sparkymcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
+1 on Dubbleju. Great guys.

Avoid Eagle Rider like the fucking plague.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:51 PM   #4
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Greetings from Flyover Country!

I'll be in Berkeley for the week of 29 March - 4 April...I get to meet my (now) one-day old Granddaughter for the first time!

Thinking that I should plan a day rental to do some local touring...strictly flower-sniffing pace, as I won't know the roads / traffic patterns / handling characteristics of the 'cycle. In all honesty, I'm just a slow rider, but the other stuff makes it sound much better-er.

So...any local recommendations on a rental shop I should support...or one to stay away from?

My current ride is an ST1300...so I'm used to a heavier bike. It's possible that I'll be riding two-up, although it could be just me going solo. In any case I won't be (intentionally) scraping pegs and such.

I intend to be back in the area again later in the year, so I don't need to see / do it all in one day...but what sights / destinations are "must-see" from your local perspective? I do have a very strong desire to visit the Giant Redwoods...anything else is / will be a bonus.

Thanks in advance!
What the other folks said, and as far as the recommended route, how much is a day for you? And how many twisties do you want? I don't ask just to put you on sportbike roads, but just taking a really nice route around the north bay area might be a few hundred miles, most of it very twisty.

In any case, I really like the redwoods on hwy 128, from Boonville out to the coast. There's a really nice section of redwoods just in from the Hwy 1 junction, and the Hendy Woods state park has a nice walking loop. And if you're headed up that way, the Tomales Bakery is a good stop in the morning. If that's too far out, you could go to Armstrong Redwoods near Guerneville. Or Muir woods. But I do highly recommend a trip up the coast and back down 128.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:24 AM   #5
(I^2)R/746
Rider

Oddometer: 173
That section of 128 by the coast is pretty awesome. Incidentally it's where the speeder scenes for "Star Wars: Return of The Jedi" were filmed. Now whenever I go through that curvy section in the redwoods, along the river and close to the coast, I make speeder noises in my helmet and imagine Ewoks hiding behind the trees somewhere.....
(I^2)R/746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:44 PM   #6
Cheddarhead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Awesome suggestions, guys!

Thanks very much for your inputs....not sure if I'll be able to pull this together this week, but I'll be back in late May, as well.

If you ever find yourself in the Land 'o Cheddar...sing out...I'll gladly spot you a beer and a set of suggestions for good riding...even if the shoreline is Lake Michigan instead of the Pacific!
Cheddarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:18 PM   #7
SirSkizzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Thanks very much for your inputs....not sure if I'll be able to pull this together this week, but I'll be back in late May, as well.

If you ever find yourself in the Land 'o Cheddar...sing out...I'll gladly spot you a beer and a set of suggestions for good riding...even if the shoreline is Lake Michigan instead of the Pacific!
Another vote for Dubbelju. Used them a few years ago - last minute rental but they were very accomodating. Great choice of bikes, nice people, and they gave some good suggestions for a day ride, including places to stop and eat.
SirSkizzo is offline   Reply With Quote