AC909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #152
swamp OP
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,795
mexistan and central bunghole

Tuesday April 16th 2013
Granada Nicaragua to San Jose Costa Rica

*this is a very whittled down version. if you are interested in the whole thing you can go here---> clicky thingy

Leaving Granada:
The bartender kicked my ass last night; it was difficult getting dressed this morning. When I walked out to the bike it was gone, as in: “not fucking there”. . .

Mosquitos and Windmills:
The section of road that runs between Lake Nicaragua and the Pacific Ocean was lined with huge, white windmills. People place windmills where there is wind. . duh. . and these were pretty damn large ones. The wind blasting off the Pacific Ocean was constant and strong, easily keeping the wind-blades spinning all day.

In this same area is where I began encountering enormous clouds of mosquitos; like plague from the bible shit....

The bugs began filling up the chin-bar vent of my helmet then squishing themselves all over my nose, upper-lip and my neck. I was riding through guts and I could now smell the humid, bug entrails with every breath....

Plague of Mosquitos

Nic/Costa Rica Border video

Costa Rica

The story of Herman, free rider forever:

Just as I passed Puntarenas I was riding next to the beach and the Pacific Ocean. Off to the right out of the corner of my eye I saw a flash and then some guy waving his arms in the air. I thought I saw a bike on the beach. Five seconds passed before I decided to turn around.

Herman was standing on the side of the road wearing leather and his chrome-dome Harley helmet was gleaming in the Sun like The Shield of Perseus. He had ridden his ground pounder out onto the beach and got it dug in. This was going to be fun. I had never pushed a friggin’ Harley out of a sand pit before.

I stood behind his loud ass bike pushing and getting sand in the face as he gave it gas. A few seconds later and we had dislodged it from the Puntarenas sand box. It just happened that Herman was also headed to San Jose so we made a high speed bombing run to San Jose lane splitting and passing huge highway-ties of cars all the way there. The road into San Jose is littered with toll booths, Herman didn’t allow me to pay a single one. He insisted on paying my tolls. When we arrived on Paseo Colon (one of the main streets in San Jose) I gave Herman a D12 sticker and he wrote “Free Biker Forever” on my gas tank. Hell yea, stay in the wind holmes.

Herman Free Rider Forever

After lashing the new tire to the back of the bike using the awesome lashing system of the Giant Loop Great Basin bag (http://www.giantloopmoto.com/ ) we headed across town to the BMW dealership to see if they had a gasket in stock.

I have a sticker problem… and the only cure is more stickers.

Good trade, one of mine for one of theirs… behold the Japanese Shocker !
Two in the poon-tang and one in the butt-tang.

Hanging out at JJ’s bike shop. i purchased another new tire here

removing the fuel pump from the tank to replace the leaky gasket requires a special tool

Riding with tires strapped to the bike just sucks; plain and simple.

Bike at Rest

I have to admit that I got pretty damn drunk off the whiskey; stuff snuck up on me. At one point in the night the subject turned to knives so I had to show Mr. Greg how sharp the blade on my KA-BAR was. Definitely a “hey ‘yall watch this” moment for me. I start shaving the hair off my arm when I drunkenly take too steep of an angle and slice down into my god damn arm. Conveniently Greg had a first aid kit at the house, we were able to clean it up nicely. That scar is going to be there for a while. Lesson here: “Don’t drink and shave with your KA-BAR”.

Sir Gregory giving an explanation of rope-knobby technique

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #153
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 323
If you exercise your 2nd amendment right, I sure hope you have a different way of demonstrating how badass your guns are .

I just picked up another bottle of Rye . Thanks for stopping by Swamp, and any-time your in the hood drop a line.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln

GRinCR screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 09:09 PM
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #154
swamp OP
U lie&yo'breff stank

Wink mexistan and central bunghole.. dude you're such a bunghole

sorry for the long delays 'fellas. i've been doing lots of riding, camping and trail cutting lately (3-4 x / week !). ..

sometimes i take my son Forest with me (he's 6 months old and already a woods rat !)

anyways.. ride report. Go.

San Jose, Costa Rica ( 2nd Day) April 17th 2013

I grunted out of bed with a hangover and two hours of sleep in me; I decided that today I would to stay in one spot, exert the least amount of enthusiasm and effort possible, eat chips-or-something, lay in my hammock, read my book and then at some point in the day; mount my new rear tire (rear tire number 4). The day began perfectly but by mid-afternoon I would be kicking myself in the head.

After Familia de Greg place I strung my hammock up in his garage area and hung out in the cool breeze reading the book I had brought with me: Walking the Amazon by Ed Stafford. This is the first time that I have ever thrown a book in my motorcycle luggage while going on a long ride. Usually I consider them to be too heavy and bulky, but since I was riding a 650cc bike on this trip I thought a little bulk and weight wouldn’t matter much. It turned out to be one of the best things I could have taken. Reading this book helped me take my mind off of my tire problems while in Mexico. Every time I would open this book and read about Ed and Cho suffering through their Amazon trek it made my tire problems seem like eating cake. From now on, I’ll always carry a book with me while doing solo, international riding.

One thing that travelers secretly indulge in is their collection of passport visas and stamps. My personal favorites are the large, sticker type visas that take up a whole passport page. At one point I had four of these sticker-type Chinese issued visas in my passport at once along with a whole shitload of European train stamps, I had run out of pages in the passport (.. it was fun to look at).

Reading in the hammock

..so I was hanging in the hammock; flipping through my passport inspecting all of the different colored stamps and trying my best to determine what country they were from. I pulled out all of the different receipts and other papers I had received from the border agents up to this point. “Where are my Costa Rica customs documents?”.. “why is there no Costa Rica stamp in my passport?”. (hot flashes filled with anxiety, self-loathing and disbelief). I never visited the Costa Rican side of the border. In other words; I had exited Nicaragua but never officially imported myself or my bike into Costa Rica. “Son of a bitch, I’m an illegal immigrant.. now what?”.

The first thing I did was to send a message to Greg asking his opinion on the subject. Here is the message stream from advrider.com:
Originally Posted by swamp
Im still at your home.hungover I was looking in my passport I don't see a Costa Rica visa and I wasn't given any import papers for the bike... I think something is wrong here . How did i get into the country wi th no visa? Thoughts ? Or am I freaking out or something? Where should I go to get this resolved? The police?

Originally Posted by GRinCR
Another thought would be to head to the Airport tomorrow and track down Immigration and Aduanas? Import you and the bike there.

I didn’t want to screw with the people at the airport so in my head the next logical step I could take was to jump on the bike and haul-the-friggin-groceries the United States Embassy. I pulled up “Embassy” on my GPS Unit ( I had made waypoints for all of the United States Embassies in Central America) then hit GO.

The traffic was so damn heavy. My bike has no rearview mirrors on it. I’m lane splitting and generally riding like a Honduran. If two of those moto-cops that look like CHIPS ,,,,,,,, were to have seen me they would have a hair-combing tantrum.

The buildings I arrive at look like bunkers with these thick green, metal, trapezoidal shaped doors. There isn’t anybody around them. “surely I’m in the wrong spot”. The only embassy I had ever been to before was in Guangzhou, China and it was on the 10th floor of a giant sky-rise building. There should be people with guns standing around somewhere but there’s not. Eventually I find a black and white gate which is guarded by handicapped man with a holstered pistol. One of his eyes pointed at the sun and the other down at the worms. . “this guy must be ruthless”.

Communication was useless. I was simply in the wrong place. 20 minutes later I finally arrived at the correct US Embassy. I pulled directly up to two guards dressed in black who were standing in front of a heavy, armored sliding steel door. In front of the guards were these large 3 ft tall metal columns that would sink into the ground when they approved a car to enter. Very Star Wars Death Star-esqe. One of the guards was fucking pissed at me when he spotted the knife attached to my backpack. He was shouting upon me his Spanish as I shouted upon him my English and visa problems. I thought he was just pointing at me but he was actually pointing at the knife. While he was pointing at the knife I started digging in my pocket to produce my passport which really fucking pissed him off…. (yea, I know. I’m lucky this guy didn’t think I was a terrorist or something). When I pulled out my passport he was so pissed; shaking his head at me. He pointed across the street so I rode over there to park my bike.

I finally figure out that I was supposed to go to “the brown building at the top of the stairs”. There were a few other Americans there being all huffy-puffy and hoity-toity. Some guy comes halfway-out of a heavy door (we are standing outside) and asks me what I want: “Ya , hi. Somehow I’m in the country illegally. I don’t have a Costa Rican visa stamp in my passport and I don’t have customs/ importation documents for my motorcycle. What should I do? “… now get this. The Great OZ of the US Embassy tells me: “ Sorry, we are closed now. Come back tomorrow we are open from 8:00 – 11:00”. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!? 8:00-11:00? What kind of hours are those for a US Embassy?

No way in hell I was going to play their game. They probably spend the rest of the day cooped up inside that building producing stem-cell-researched Obama-clones and little fake, clone children that follow the Obama-clones around chanting “guns are bad, remember Treyvon. Guns are bad, you didn’t build your business the social welfare system built it”. . anyways; I jumped back on the Sertao and headed back to Greg’s.

I sent Greg a Message once I arrived back at his place:
message stream:
Originally Posted by swamp
I just got back from the useless us embassy. They are only open from8-11..?? Something gives me the feeling that this happens all the time. Ill just show up early in the morning and play gringo which shouldn't be difficult because I am one. Im guessing that they will fine me...or tell me to go all the way back to the entry point and do it over

Originally Posted by GRinCR
8-11... I need to get a job there. See you in a bit.

I killed the rest of the day installing the rear tire I had purchased from JJ’s, looking over maps and poking at my GPS unit

Later Greg told me that he had a fixer at the Paso Canoas border… it required calling the guy, then trying to find him at the border then hoping everything went well. I didn’t really want to inconvenience Greg with all this crap and I really didn’t want to deal with a fixer guy. My plan was to ride to the smaller “middle of the border” crossing at Rio Sereno.. and “wing it”. Complex right ?

__________________________________________________ _______________

Thursday April 18th 2013
San Jose to Cerro Punta (Chumbago) Panama
06:00

The last time that I rode in Costa Rica I attempted to cross into Panama over on the Eastern side (Caribbean side) of the country near Manzanillo (Sixaola “the one with the rail road bridge”). I say “attempted to cross” because the border officials wouldn’t allow me to exit Costa Rica on a rental bike.. hey it was worth a shot right ?

(Flashback Photo)

The route that I had calculated for today would take me up into those beautifully chilly, cloud covered mountains on my way to the Panamanian border. The morning air was cool; it was going to be a perfect day. Even though I knew that I was going to have problems at the border yet for some reason I felt extremely comfortable, relaxed and HAPPY.
When traveling on a motorcycle the highs are soaring and the lows are usually not so bad… in retrospect. Simple things like an oil change or speaking with a kind person can punt doubt out of the picture. Good weather, new roads, the rider’s imagination and encounters with different environs, ecospheres and “the natives” draw the rider deeper into the painting.
There is very little traffic; the road is my personal race track. As I continue to climb in elevation the temperature drops dramatically, I’ve already set my hand-warmers to the full power setting and my teeth are chattering. I fumble with the GPS display until it shows the elevation readings. The elevation of the highest section of road today would top out at 12000ft.

The mountains of SE Costa Rica are some of the most unique in the world. What makes this place different is the lushness, immense amounts of dense fog, the switchback roads , warm friendly “country” people… and the lighting. The light gets filtered through the fog, the waxy jungles and the chilly air; its like something out of a glitter-throwing 1980’s fantasy movie. The yellow sunlight breaks through the dripping trees, contacts the heavy fog setting off hundreds of broken prism effects. This is a cloud forest in the early morning.

When I ride through locations such as these my tendency is to dream about one day owning a cabin with few acres of land or starting some kind of small business in one of the small towns that I’m riding through. I imagine what it would be like to completely change everything I know about the world and my-self by moving my existence to a different dimension. These are what I call “drifter’s dreams”. Deep down I know that the only way I would live permanently in a foreign country is if my life in the USA went to complete shit… like a giant, steaming elephant dropping of a shit.
I know myself well enough that I’m only able to tolerate experience and deal with places such as these (foreign countries) in passing; or for brief periods of time. For me, the longer that I stay the less-enchanting it all becomes. It truly is all about the journey for me, forward motion, the encounters and the situations that result from travel but at the same time, not feeling like I need to be at a set place at a given time.

Little mountain farming towns and native “Indian” villages are located along this stretch of endlessly scenic road. I stopped and rode around these “towns” on my way to the border: Paso Real, Los Vuelta, Tablas, Platanilla, Sabanilla, Vito and Limoncito. All of them were beautiful.

These gas station attendants were very friendly. They were very interested in the bike and the trip. (see GPS data)

Costa Rica / Panama Border
Costa Rican side of the border (exiting Costa Rica )
Arriving as an illegal immigrant (no passport stamp) and with no “papers” (importation documents) for the bike
11:30
I arrived at Rio Sereno knowing:
1. I didn’t have the proper documentation
a. Costa Rican entrance stamp
b. Customs forms (importation papers) for the bike
2. I may be denied exit and be “punished” in some way such as a fine or bike-impounding.
3. That in a few of the guidebooks that I had read; that Rio Sereno didn’t have the ability to process vehicles. So, I may just be going a long long way … out of my way
However, I felt strongly that this was the best of my options as far as the entire trip was concerned. Sure it was higher risk than dealing with a fixer or waiting on waiting around on the US embassy to tell me what I should do; but the reward (if I got lucky) would be huge. I was feeling lucky today.

This border is very basic. There is a rocky dirt road that leads up to it. The Costa Rican side has two concrete buildings. I pull up to the one which houses the police; they direct me to the other building. I like the lay out and I’m the only person here trying to cross the border!
The tiny office of immigration gives off a good vibe. The officer inside can speak good English. “Where is your stamp!?” (with what-the-fuck-face) says the officer who flips back and forth through my passport searching for my stamp. With my best what-the-fuck-face I ramble out “what do you mean? I rode here from Mexico, the guard at the border let me through the gate see here are all of my papers (I hand him all my important things) it has to be in there because I’m here”. Officer: “… no it’s not here. You have a big problem”.

(( friggin f*ck .. shit crap woohoohoo ))
Officer: “..the lady in customs will take your bike back to San Jose and fine you $500.”
Me: “nooo please don’t take my bike! I am traveling on the bike, It’s the only thing I have come--- on -- maaaaan!”
Officer (shaking his head, looking down at his desk and smiling then looking back up at me smiling)
Me: “… so .. can I pay a fine ? “
Officer (laughs and shakes his head more): “let me talk to the customs lady, I will speak English for you”.
Me: “YESS! Sweet!”

I stand up and grab the guy buy the shoulders, pull him towards be and go in for a man hug but he peels me off before I can rub my diesel coated beard all over him. He stands up and walks out of the room with my passport and all of my travel papers.

The stamp is just setting there on the desk and I think “maybe I can stamp my hand then later lick my hand and press it onto the passport page… hmm”
The immigration officer returns to the room with a woman and another man. Immigration officer sits in his desk, the woman stands by the door that leads outside and the other man stands at the other door in the room. I’m kind of nervous about what they are about to tell me.

Immigration officer pointing toward woman: “This is the lady who is here to take your bike”.
Me (turning around in my chair to face the lady, she is smiling): “Please don’t take my bike !”
Everyone in the room starts laughing.

He stamps my passport then draws a red x on the stamp ((Marmalade !)). The lady and the other guy leave the room. I ask the officer “I’m sure this happens all of the time. Has anyone had this problem before?” “No” he says. “You are the first one. We should give you an Oscar for your good performance!”

Panama Side of the border (entering Panama)
Copied over from my ride journal from 4/18/13 written while listening to the song “upstream” by The Union Trade.
“i’m the only one at the border trying to enter panama. tiny blue shack for immigration. i walk in and the lady won’t acknowledge me so i stand there for a few moments, give up and say “immigration es aqui ? “ . she says “c” . then ignores me even more. … hmm.. I sit down in the chair next to her and hand her all of my papers. She grabs them up shuffles through them then pushes the pile back at me. “seguro” she tells me. I ask her where and she points out the door.

The roads that make up this little border town are all dirt. There are small (like room for two office chairs and a desk top computer) plywood buildings lining one of these streets. All the doors (also plywood) have padlocks on them. I’m betting that one of these places sells insurance. Across the street from the blue immigration building there is a little outdoor restaurant and a grocery store. I go inside the shop to get some water and a Coke. The cashier gives me my change back in Blaboas and one fucking US Nickel.. (I look at her, laugh and say: “oh shit a nickel!) I ask the cashier if she knows what time the insurance vendor opens. She tells me they open at one o’clock. So I proceed to loiter.

Little grocery store at the Costa Rican Panamanian border

The blue building is the Panamanian Immigration office

International BBQ anyone?

At 13:00 the white, plywood insurance hut opens it’s door for business. Inside I find one of the laziest people ever to hold a sales job. There are two office chairs, I sit down in one and she sits in the other poking away at her smart phone. I say “buenos tardes” …. and nothing … she is still text messaging or facebooking or something. “err.. hello? Hi hows it ? “. She raises her finger in the air telling me to wait until she finishes texting. ((Are you freakin kidding me !? )) I put all of my papers down on her desk; she glances down at them as she types a message out on her phone then giggles like a pirate. She slowly takes one of her hands off of the phone and begins the slow process of reaching down towards my pile of papers. About half way down her phone dings and she is back to text messaging again. No wonder she is working in this twat of a plywood shack in no-man’s-land. “

Lazy:
1.averse or disinclined to work, activity, or exertion; indolent.
2.causing idleness or indolence
3.slow-moving
4.the creature holding the cell phone in the below photos

Gotta’ go have copies made. Gotta have stamps on the copies. I forget my wallet in the customs building then have a running-freak-out back to the immigration office, dump the entire contents of my back pack onto the floor… nothing. Hauling as much ass as possible in enduro boots back to the customs office I find my wallet setting on top of the copy machine… “fucking hell!”..

Back at the blue immigration office, the lady’s attitude is completely different than it was an hour ago. She smiles and welcomes me into her office. The radio is playing and she is singing along with it. Every time a different song comes on she tells me that “this is my favorite song, the singer is so handsome”. It was nice joking around with this lady; she made me look forward to the rest of the day.

video

Having completed all of my customs, insurance and immigration duties the last step was to see the military police. They wanted to inspect my motorcycle luggage which didn’t take much time because I wasn’t carrying very much stuff. The guys were very nice to me and after they were satisfied with the contents of my packs they shook my hand and told me “welcome to my country, do not harm my country”. I told them “I promise that I will not harm your country, thank you for welcoming me here and I wish to welcome you to my country one day”. The younger guy laughed and said “I do not want to go to your country, I only love my country”. I don’t know why but this made me feel very proud of him for saying that. I get all mushy around patriotic people because they make me feel well.. patriotic. I gave him the biggest, smile of understanding that I’d had cross my face in a long time, shook his hand, put my gloves on and rode off.

Within the next thirty minutes I was stopped at two military check points where my papers and visa were inspected and my destination was asked for. They went smoothly and the military was very friendly to me. My first few hours riding in Panama were amazing. The road and the scenery were a perfect match and complement for each other: Narrow, steep, jungle mountain roads lined with dripping green leaves and little red and purple flowers.

I could not possibly be more comfortable, my spirit was calm and it was still rather early in the day; so I decided that instead of heading for the town of David I would ride north, higher into the western Cordillera de Talamanca range towards Vulcan Baru to see what could be seen. The area I was headed to is part of the La Amistad Reserves; the largest nature reserve in Central America.
Most of the land in the area seemed to be farm land and homesteads. There were no large plantation style farms or crops due to the difficult terrain (steep jungle); only small subsistence farms with a few cattle and some chickens. I also noticed that there were a couple coffee growers in the area which was cool because I love-me-some-coffee. Businesses and industry are few and far between. The humidity is high, the dense white clouds move slowly, the roads are damp and everything seems to be in perfect balance.

map (see enduroearth.com site)

Images from Western Panama in and around La Amistad
I’ll let the pictures and video do the writing for a while

Momma Jenny’s
So there was this nice looking bed and breakfast near the base of the mountain. I thought it was strange that someone would build a business this far-off away from everything. Surely they don’t get very many customers through here. I decided to try to get a room here so I parked the bike. There was a small sign out front that read “ Momma Jenny’s Chinese Cuisine”. ((hmm, Chinese people in panama ? )). A Chinese lady walks out and starts speaking Spanish to me.. I’ve never met a Spanish Speaking Chinese before. My wife is Chinese so I can speak a little bit of Mandarin. In Chinese I ask her if she can speak English, she tells me no and that its odd that I can speak Chinese. So, we alternate between Mandarin Chinese and Spanish.. which was crazy. Using the two languages I determine that all the rooms are taken, she recommends a hotel, gives me directions to it then asks if I would like to eat.

Momma Jenny sets me up at a nice table overlooking a gorgeous garden. Brings me some hot honeysuckle tea and a beer; I order up some a few things then enjoy the view and the eats. Super nice lady and her place is absolutely beautiful. Outside, the only outside is the gurgling creek and the random, alien bird call. Inside, the only sound is the cracking of my first of many Balboa beers.

(Beers of The World) As long as you keep bringing them, I’ll keep drinking them

this was friggin awesome

The ride into town was sweet. The weather was perfect and the sun was hiding behind the mountains. Not very many people out. The farmlands in this area are simply among some of the most picturesque in the world. Lush green valleys surrounded by steep jungle ridges. Stunning stuff.

I was hunting for a place to crash when I stumbled upon this really neat looking eco-lodge called Los Quetzales. It is so quiet around here, so peaceful and relaxing. The air is the perfect humidity and the perfect temperature. Someone’s going to sleep good tonight! (this was the best night sleep I had during this ride)

this momma dog had been hit by a car the day before I arrived. It has a broken leg and is wearing a cast while feeding its little puppies. If this doesn’t make you feel mushy then you are truly an asshole.

.....next: huge waves, muddy holes and dance clubs

swamp screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 07:34 PM
Old 07-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #155
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,125
Been following on the site, but glad to see this bumped up!

Nice camping setup, I've been fine tuning my hammock. I swear, I sleep better in it than in my bed at home!
Old 07-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #156
swamp OP
U lie&yo'breff stank

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Been following on the site, but glad to see this bumped up!

Nice camping setup, I've been fine tuning my hammock. I swear, I sleep better in it than in my bed at home!
hey buddy,
thanks for following along on the site.
what the hell have you been up to man i haven't seen any RR from you in a while. got a link for us ?

ya its hard to beat a hammock really... it just bothers me that all of a sudden EVERYONE uses one. i used to be "that weird guy that uses the hammock" now heh... not so much. so lately (in an attempt to retain my "weird status") i've been trying to ween myself out of the trees and back to terra firma . during this process i've developed what will surely be "the new ultralightcamping craze". I call it "The Arborist ". its so lightweight the entire system will fit in the front pocket of your jeans and you only need ONE rope! here is my uncle demonstrating the new rope design and proper "hang" method.

swamp screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 09:11 PM
Old 07-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #157
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,125
HAHAHAHAHA! Nice!

Not much new on my front, haven't even been riding much this summer, just been super busy. This fall, it's on. Will likely be riding more "road" stuff, but it's great in a way. A very good buddy of mine got a Vstrom, hopefully to pound down some mild off-road with him in the coming years.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #158
swamp OP
U lie&yo'breff stank

good to hear man.
keep it weird.

if you two ever head down my way send me a message.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:27 AM   #159
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,156
Thank you!
Old 07-15-2013, 03:07 AM   #160
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,440
Damn! I know better than to start looking at the RR section when it's getting late! Of course, I had to find this one - which is pretty close to the trip I want to do myself, and got sucked in..... Fucking FUNNY writing Swamp.... Several times I oscillated between cracking up, and nodding my head knowingly.... lol....

That bike is actually really cool too... looks like you really built it up right.

Great RR - keep it coming, and if you're ever out this way, you got free beer, a garage that I'm sure you'll need to fix something (Christ, keep your bad luck totem at home next time - or don't leave the good luck totem at home... whatever!) and a SHOWER with SOAP and not rubbers!

Now, I need to sleep so I can get up for work in a couple hours! Damn!!!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #161
swamp OP
U lie&yo'breff stank

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Damn! I know better than to start looking at the RR section when it's getting late! Of course, I had to find this one - which is pretty close to the trip I want to do myself, and got sucked in..... Fucking FUNNY writing Swamp.... Several times I oscillated between cracking up, and nodding my head knowingly.... lol....

That bike is actually really cool too... looks like you really built it up right.

Great RR - keep it coming, and if you're ever out this way, you got free beer, a garage that I'm sure you'll need to fix something (Christ, keep your bad luck totem at home next time - or don't leave the good luck totem at home... whatever!) and a SHOWER with SOAP and not rubbers!

Now, I need to sleep so I can get up for work in a couple hours! Damn!!!
Thanks for the invite. If im ever around Utah again i'll drop in and say hi.
the invite is extended to you here in Lower Appalachia. Ill send you a PM with my contact info in case you are ever passing through

ya i like that bike. it's perfect for this kind of riding: lots of miles, long days, luggage and some interesting off road excursions.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #162
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
I have to admit that I got pretty damn drunk off the whiskey; stuff snuck up on me. At one point in the night the subject turned to knives so I had to show Mr. Greg how sharp the blade on my KA-BAR was. Definitely a “hey ‘yall watch this” moment for me. I start shaving the hair off my arm when I drunkenly take too steep of an angle and slice down into my god damn arm. Conveniently Greg had a first aid kit at the house, we were able to clean it up nicely. That scar is going to be there for a while. Lesson here: “Don’t drink and shave with your KA-BAR”.

I just spat my wine all over my keyboard. Totally classic

Great stuff Swamp. I'm in if not a little late.

Cheers
KTMInduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #163
swamp OP
U lie&yo'breff stank

Hi Monty,
Glad to hear from ya'
sorry about your keyboard.
i hope your wine didnt come out of your nose. that hurts.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #164
70East
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
ya its hard to beat a hammock really... it just bothers me that all of a sudden EVERYONE uses one. i used to be "that weird guy that uses the hammock" now heh... not so much. so lately (in an attempt to retain my "weird status") i've been trying to ween myself out of the trees and back to terra firma . during this process i've developed what will surely be "the new ultralightcamping craze". I call it "The Arborist ". its so lightweight the entire system will fit in the front pocket of your jeans and you only need ONE rope! here is my uncle demonstrating the new rope design and proper "hang" method.

I thought you were talking about this, when you said one rope.

I was thinking you truly are a genius and talented.

Love your threads and your blogs.

70East screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 09:26 AM
70East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #165
swamp OP
U lie&yo'breff stank

Thumb now thats some skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox8 View Post

I was thinking you truly are a genius and talented.

Love your threads and your blogs.

definitely neither... just relentless

thanks for posting the picture of that shaolin hammock!
looks like i've got some practicing to do if i want to reach minimalist Nirvana.

swamp screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 01:40 PM