Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #76
nicktulloh
n00b

Oddometer: 5
This thread boggles my mind. I guess that's ok because I didn't see it coming.

Seriously, SMIDSY is a defense for nothing, IMHO. It may be technically or academically interesting and rich fodder for defense lawyers but not only is it ridiculous as a defense, it's also correctable.

I was an airline pilot for 25 years, long enough to catch the tail end of an era where mechanical failure became almost unknown and the powers that be focused on human factors. We had (and they still have) hundreds of hours of training which was initially received with skepticism (to put it mildly) but the results have been impressive. Human factors training is very sophisticated these days and SMIDSY as an inevitable, uncontrollable, faultless event is without foundation. SMIDSY happens because of any number of things, all controllable or trainable.

It's also addressable more globally, as others have pointed out, in initial driver ed. The US licensing system and Driver Ed is a joke compared to the rest of the world.
nicktulloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #77
foggy50361
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktulloh View Post
This thread boggles my mind. I guess that's ok because I didn't see it coming.

Seriously, SMIDSY is a defense for nothing, IMHO. It may be technically or academically interesting and rich fodder for defense lawyers but not only is it ridiculous as a defense, it's also correctable.

I was an airline pilot for 25 years, long enough to catch the tail end of an era where mechanical failure became almost unknown and the powers that be focused on human factors. We had (and they still have) hundreds of hours of training which was initially received with skepticism (to put it mildly) but the results have been impressive. Human factors training is very sophisticated these days and SMIDSY as an inevitable, uncontrollable, faultless event is without foundation. SMIDSY happens because of any number of things, all controllable or trainable.

It's also addressable more globally, as others have pointed out, in initial driver ed. The US licensing system and Driver Ed is a joke compared to the rest of the world.

These days people believe it's there right of way where ever they go and f**k everybody else.
foggy50361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #78
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMeUp View Post
I say we advocate for locomotive type lighting, (spiraling spotlight) being added as standard equipment on bikes. Then if someone pulls a SMIDSY ........throw the book at them!
This might be a valid argument, except for the fact that over 5000 people pull out in front of trains in the USA every year. Most say (the live ones) "I didn't see it".
Old 07-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #79
yokel84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
To the OP—Very sorry to hear of your loss.

In discussions about driving safety/responsibility in forums, there often appears to be a lot of hubris at play. Regardless of how good or attentive of a driver one is, one can always improve. Most of us, if we're really honest with ourselves, probably have times when we drive a bit distractedly. I know I have anyway (and I'm the best driver in the world). It haunts my thoughts and makes me careful to try to be a better driver.

Even so, as far as the SMDSY effect; I noticed that, with the tests, I had to be staring VERY intently at that central focus to lose sight of the other objects. Anyone who regularly drives with that type of inappropriate focus (which, in my mind is -at least in terms of driving- tantamount to inattention) will assuredly repeatedly have near-miss accidents. I can recognize my own lapses into inattention through the built-in safety mechanism my brain seems to have; if, when driving, I'm not actively looking at all aspects of surrounding traffic for impending danger, I feel confused and unsafe. I realize that my level of attention is insufficient, and I DON'T PULL OUT. This rarely happens to me (especially since learning to ride an mc) but it occasionally does.

My point is: to drive safely we HAVE to intuitively develop techniques to overcome motion blindness. I know people that haven't. They seem to think people are always honking at them for no reason. They should probably have their licenses revoked. The only way I've learned was by driving. Learning to drive is always dangerous (in the US).. probably unless you live in rural Arizona or something.

The penalties for injuring someone while speeding excessively have definitely caused me to rethink my driving. I know that, if someone's killed in a collision, and I was violating traffic laws, I'll likely be responsible regardless of whether or not that person jumped intentionally in front of my car (not that I would've driven carelessly or fast around pedestrians). Awareness of these consequences has definitely affected my behavior.

When I heard about people getting harsh sentences (as well as in accidents) for drunk driving. I was more conscientious about dissuading my friends from driving after drinking.

Anyway. Awareness helps, and consequences help both to varying degrees in different situations. Nothing will prevent all accidents.

No statistical analysis at work, just empiricism.. for what it's worth.

Also, the world is not going to hell in a handbasket (except perhaps environmentally) and people are probably no more or less responsible/careful on aggregate than they ever were [though I welcome evidence to the contrary]
yokel84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #80
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
One of my best friends was killed when a semi steam rolled him after he hit a deer and lost control (friend). I was pissed, wanted blood, calmed down after awhile.
His sister whom I was also very close to was Killed in an auto accident 10 years before him, I wanted someone to be held accountable, it took me years, more thought, and her brothers death to begin to come to an understanding.

Mom was killed in a car accident which was a bit odd, could have been pushed off the road, or she could have made a mistake herself, its unkown. What I do know is she refused to listen to me, a professional driver or my father who was a professional over the road driver, had she listened she may not have overcorrected and would have been sitting here today.
What I do know is ruining another life and punishing someone else for the rest of theirs solves absolutely nothing and only carries forth unneeded hate and resentment. An accident is just that, a very unfortunate circumstance, taking a life is something someone has to live with for the rest of theirs, and it usually changes them, normally not for the best.
A major problem is this country however is the Nanny do everything for you state, Automatic cars take yoru attention away from driving as does every other distraction one can think of.
I also believe the movie industry takes away the reality of losing someone, people honsetly think they will always be around, and live like they will magically come back, they do not.
I have also noticed that in other countries where there are well almost no traffic laws there seem to be less accidents, the nanny state has made us complacent in our quest to make things safer, in many aspects, it has made people more dangerous as they are less attentive (the single biggest cause of an auto accident)

I wrote this Yesterday take from it what you will and I hope it helps someone dealing with a loss settle their demons.

Two years ago today my Mother was torn from this earth.
I still remember the phone call, the uncertainty.
Flying down the highway and seeing the cherries flashing on the police cars and sliding to a hault, they did not need to say anything they knew how I jumped from the car, and I knew by their eyes as they looked down all I needed to know.
I dropped to my knees and let the spirits hear my anguish.
I say this not for Sympathy, I am far beyond that now, I say this because to often we let petty things get in the way of a relationship, even things not so petty as we let the past haunt us and Demons whisper in our ears.
None of which is worth it, love and happyness are far more grand, and those around us who make up our lives are worthy of our thoughts, our hopes, prayers and sympathies.
It is beyond important that we cherish what we have, all of us expect tomorrow to be there and to often it is not.
So share kindness with all that matters and at the worst, that is with a smile that you can know they carried it with them.

Some previous thoughts again, I hope they help someone else deal with a trajedy.
http://thoughtsoftheages.blogspot.co...call-that.html

I am curious, why people do not seem to care that the Medical community who are responsible for 500 deaths every single day which are their own mistake and could have been prevented.
My father and brother in law were both casualties to varying extent of this, again, I am trying to turn it into something positive and bring about change.

TheBlurr screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 02:37 PM
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote