Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #136
Buckee
Ah, Grasshopper...

Oddometer: 35
Hi G - my Montana 600 bundle arrived Thursday (fast - thank you) and the mount's on, City NAV installed, test drive done. Question is re the Southeast 24K DVD - is that among the maps that have been updated? I am hesitant to open the package as the only date evident anywhere is a 2010 copyright date - and the Montana is not included in the long "Compatible Units" list.

It looks like the part # is 007-01734-00 Rev A. Do I have the most current map? Thanks, Buckee
Old 07-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #137
GPSCity OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckee View Post
Hi G - my Montana 600 bundle arrived Thursday (fast - thank you) and the mount's on, City NAV installed, test drive done. Question is re the Southeast 24K DVD - is that among the maps that have been updated? I am hesitant to open the package as the only date evident anywhere is a 2010 copyright date - and the Montana is not included in the long "Compatible Units" list.

It looks like the part # is 007-01734-00 Rev A. Do I have the most current map? Thanks, Buckee
Glad to hear your unit has arrived!

Garmin does not update their topo DVD's, so don't worry about the version of them. If they do update it, it's once every 9-10 years if that so you don't need to worry. It will work with the Montana for sure, thanks for checking!

Jordan
GPSCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #138
Jazz62
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
Nuvi options

Since I'm not able to afford a dedicated "motorcycle friendly" gps, and don't plan on intentionally riding in the rain with my wife for our upcoming trip, I'm considering the Nuvi options with a Ram mount for my 1150GS. If it starts to rain I can just put it in my tankbag temporarily. I found it difficult to compare the multitude of options on the GPS City site. My site nav skills are likely to blame but if there were some type of column where you could check boxes with the desired features and have the site's engine gives you the results, it would be helpful.

Having said that.

I want a unit that

A. has no larger than a 5" screen (no smaller than 4" for these aging eyes)
B. allows me to plan routes on my PC (included street nav maps+++) don't need traffic or topo.
C. has bluetooth so I can use my iphone or the bluetooth set-up soon the be available for my Lazer helmet.
D. has an available motorcycle mount and power options.
E. All the above for $300 or less.

Also looking for opinions on the best way to get power to the unit. I'm not opposed to running direct power from the battery to the tank bag and plugging the GPS in from there, just not sure of what I need to do that, or if a powerlet to usb is better than the included cigarette style to usb. Thanks for the help.
Jazz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #139
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz62 View Post
B. allows me to plan routes on my PC (included street nav maps+++) don't need traffic or topo.
C. has bluetooth so I can use my iphone or the bluetooth set-up soon the be available for my Lazer helmet.
D. has an available motorcycle mount and power options.
B: You want one with lifetime maps, or you'll want to buy a map update. Otherwise you'll be stuck doing all your routing while connected to a computer. You're pretty much stuck doing all your routing with Garmin's BaseCamp. I know there are other options, but they're much mor involved. You'll also want to make sure all the routing choices are the same, and add lots of extra way points, because inevitably, the GPSr will want to route a different path than what you designed and it will do it in the most inconvenient places.

C: I've played with a couple, and they didn't play well with the iPhone AND a Bluetooth headset. One or the other.

D: Most of the current offerings use USB for power. According to many it lacks durability in a high vibration environment like a motorcycle. If not using one of the Garmin branded power supplies, you'll have to change settings on the unit to get it to operate properly. (Sorry, don't remember which.)

I would find the extra scratch to buy either the Montana 600 combo or one of the motorcycle specific units. Just a much better fit for motorcycles. I spent the equivalent of buying the Montana trying to find an acceptable solution, before I finally bought the Montana, and I couldn't be happier. Perhaps it might be worth the effort to scour for used motorcycle units.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #140
Jazz62
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
I would find the extra scratch to buy either the Montana 600 combo or one of the motorcycle specific units. Just a much better fit for motorcycles. I spent the equivalent of buying the Montana trying to find an acceptable solution, before I finally bought the Montana, and I couldn't be happier. Perhaps it might be worth the effort to scour for used motorcycle units.
Thank you for your input. I do indeed appreciate it. I keep my eye on the fleamarket all the time but have had bad timing on the reasonably priced units. They sell quickly.
Jazz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:59 AM   #141
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
One thing I didn't know until recently: You can send a Zumo back to Garmin for an 'after warranty' repair. They pretty much just receive yours and send you a refurbished unit. It's $150 for a Zumo 550, which does navi, xm radio, xm traffic and weather, mp3's, shows your caller ID, Dials your phone, and I'm sure I'm missing some. I'm really amazed with it. Then, you can move it all to your car and have the same stuff there. Pretty cool.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #142
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
One thing I didn't know until recently: You can send a Zumo back to Garmin for an 'after warranty' repair. They pretty much just receive yours and send you a refurbished unit. It's $150 for a Zumo 550, which does navi, xm radio, xm traffic and weather, mp3's, shows your caller ID, Dials your phone, and I'm sure I'm missing some. I'm really amazed with it. Then, you can move it all to your car and have the same stuff there. Pretty cool.
You have to own the actual device they replace. This is the web page which describes which models they still refurbish and how much for each.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #143
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oddometer: 736
I'm at gpscity and am looking to buying a Montana 650 with street maps and ram mount but the advrider15 coupon no longer works. I get this error

The required item for the coupon code ADVRIDER15 is not in the cart.

Did the coupon expire?
Old 07-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #144
clint64
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatec View Post
I'm at gpscity and am looking to buying a Montana 650 with street maps and ram mount but the advrider15 coupon no longer works. I get this error

The required item for the coupon code ADVRIDER15 is not in the cart.

Did the coupon expire?
Using the wrong code. Take a look at this post.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=21
clint64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #145
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You have to own the actual device they replace. This is the web page which describes which models they still refurbish and how much for each.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html
Yeah, so it seems like you could buy a fairly ratty one and send it in for $150. It seems like that would make the shopping for a used GPS a little easier.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #146
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Any word on that SPOT Gen3 unit?

Looks like its showing up in stores now, but its not showing In Stock with you guys yet =\
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #147
GPSCity OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post

Looks like its showing up in stores now, but its not showing In Stock with you guys yet =\
We were expecting them today but they are arriving a day late from UPS. They should be here tomorrow!

Jordan
Old 08-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #148
GPSCity OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post

Sintax,

Did you have an order placed with us for a SPOT 3? If so, please PM me your order number.

Jordan
Old 08-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #149
bjoseph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
How about putting together a discounted Monterra bundle! Is it still expected soon?
bjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #150
BONEDOC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Ship to the US......?

I just spent 20 min finding the parts I need and at checkout I see a "ship internationally"? So I click on the link and now I'm back at the home page and the cart is empty???

What's up with that?
British Columbia 2005
Eastern Europe via Africa Twin 2006
Western Europe via AT 2007
OBDR (Oregon Discovery Route) 2008
BONEDOC is offline   Reply With Quote