ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #16
Cloudhopper
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Dublin
Oddometer: 68
I love how they go on about how similar the BMW R1200GS and KTM 1190 Adventure R are offroad and yet the KTM is more fun.

And then look closely and carefully.
That isn't a KTM 1190 Adventure R, that's the bog standard 1190 Adventure, is it?. Front wheel too small, wrong color scheme, no bars.

So if the normal one is already the best on slippery, slimy, snowy mud.... what's the real Adventure R going to do to the competition?
__________________
Bikes:
Moto Guzzi Stelvio
BMW F650GS
Cloudhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #17
svs
All Hands on Deck!
 
svs's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Huntington Beach
Oddometer: 23,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudhopper View Post
I love how they go on about how similar the BMW R1200GS and KTM 1190 Adventure R are offroad and yet the KTM is more fun.

And then look closely and carefully.
That isn't a KTM 1190 Adventure R, that's the bog standard 1190 Adventure, is it?. Front wheel too small, wrong color scheme, no bars.

So if the normal one is already the best on slippery, slimy, snowy mud.... what's the real Adventure R going to do to the competition?
The R is gunna be more better.

Fo sure!

__________________
"We came into this world screaming and covered in blood; We ride so we can increase the odds of going out the same way..."
svs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #18
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding
 
Lion BR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
A little FYI on Rick, he's a well-known troll in the S10 threads so take everything he says about the bike with a bucketful of salt.
Don't know Rick West. But on that particular post he didn't say anything different than what MCN say on their test.
__________________
Whenever we are riding, we are an ambassador to our sport

I'd rather be riding!


Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #19
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding
 
Lion BR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudhopper View Post
I love how they go on about how similar the BMW R1200GS and KTM 1190 Adventure R are offroad and yet the KTM is more fun.

And then look closely and carefully.
That isn't a KTM 1190 Adventure R, that's the bog standard 1190 Adventure, is it?. Front wheel too small, wrong color scheme, no bars.

So if the normal one is already the best on slippery, slimy, snowy mud.... what's the real Adventure R going to do to the competition?
According to a German magazine that compared the 1190 and 1190R, it is likely that the people who will buy the 1190R will buy the wrong bike. Their assumption is that unless people are really serious about off road riding and do spend a good amount of their riding time on off road situations, the 1190 will do the job fine, is a better street bike, will be a better choice.
__________________
Whenever we are riding, we are an ambassador to our sport

I'd rather be riding!


Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
Cloudhopper
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Dublin
Oddometer: 68
Yeah i watched that video too (was it from 1000PS? i think).
Well in all honesty here in Europe most of the big trailies dont see 70/30 or 80/20.
To ride those ratios you really have to put an effort in and there are large areas in Europe where the roads are paved and everything that is gravel is off limits by regulations etc.

I think 95/5 is pushing it, most of the bikes will maybe see 99/1 if the owners are really honest with themselves (gravel parking lots do NOT count!). And this is clearly reflected by the latest generation of tyres for big trailies. Look at the Anakee3, Tourance Next, Conti Trail Attack 2 (All tyres available as OEM fit on the new BMW and KTM). Even the manufacturer say 95/5 or 99/1 usage, they completely dropped the pretending now and set those bike up for the road. And I applaud them for it, most european owners will enjoy their bikes more on those rubbers than on TKC, Scout or Tourances. In the US that might be different, gravel and dirt roads more accessible.

And thats where those guys in that test were coming from when they said those guys buying the R might be buying the wrong one. It's like with the previous generation KTM, were there were few little differences in the R and non-R verison. This time they are setup for a purpose, on- or offorad. Make a choice. An "R" behind the name doesnt mean "more" or "faster" anymore, it means you are buying a bike that needs dirt to come into its own.
__________________
Bikes:
Moto Guzzi Stelvio
BMW F650GS
Cloudhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #21
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 8,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Don't know Rick West. But on that particular post he didn't say anything different than what MCN say on their test.
The offroad test itself was a bad joke, but typical for MCN when it comes to ADV bikes. Wobbling around on some hard-packed unsealed roads then offering a critique about as thoughtful as that you'd hear from a 10 year old.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #22
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...
 
WARRIORPRINCEJJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: South Central Texas
Oddometer: 8,880
Plus, once again...


I don't care if they are a Brit rag, they love them some German/Austrian bikes.


.
__________________
I spent all my money on motorcycles, 4X4's, whiskey, and women...The rest I just wasted. (edited to fit/original phrase by "WIBO")

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #23
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudhopper View Post
Yeah i watched that video too (was it from 1000PS? i think).
Well in all honesty here in Europe most of the big trailies dont see 70/30 or 80/20.
To ride those ratios you really have to put an effort in and there are large areas in Europe where the roads are paved and everything that is gravel is off limits by regulations etc.

I think 95/5 is pushing it, most of the bikes will maybe see 99/1 if the owners are really honest with themselves (gravel parking lots do NOT count!). And this is clearly reflected by the latest generation of tyres for big trailies. Look at the Anakee3, Tourance Next, Conti Trail Attack 2 (All tyres available as OEM fit on the new BMW and KTM). Even the manufacturer say 95/5 or 99/1 usage, they completely dropped the pretending now and set those bike up for the road. And I applaud them for it, most european owners will enjoy their bikes more on those rubbers than on TKC, Scout or Tourances. In the US that might be different, gravel and dirt roads more accessible.

And thats where those guys in that test were coming from when they said those guys buying the R might be buying the wrong one. It's like with the previous generation KTM, were there were few little differences in the R and non-R verison. This time they are setup for a purpose, on- or offorad. Make a choice. An "R" behind the name doesnt mean "more" or "faster" anymore, it means you are buying a bike that needs dirt to come into its own.
This.

And these bikes are monstrously expensive.

Who the hell would risk them on our crappy 'off-roading'?
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #24
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Plus, once again...


I don't care if they are a Brit rag, they love them some German/Austrian bikes.


.
BIKE just declared the new GS is still the king; they did 4000+ miles in 8 days to test it (I think, I don't have the issue at hand).
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #25
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Plus, once again...


I don't care if they are a Brit rag, they love them some German/Austrian bikes.


.
Kinda like the Top Gear guys always raving about German cars and bashing American cars as unreliable.
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)
Kawidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #26
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Paulvt1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Wolverhampton. England.
Oddometer: 3,441
That BIKE magazine test would make any PR spin doctor proud. 16 pages of GS promo.

I wonder if the rumored law suit by BM against Bauer media over the report of the "headshake issue" influenced that fluff piece..
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #27
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...
 
WARRIORPRINCEJJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: South Central Texas
Oddometer: 8,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
That BIKE magazine test would make any PR spin doctor proud. 16 pages of GS promo...

To me, MCN is no different. They're always leg-humping the Beemer or the Orange machine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Kinda like the Top Gear guys always raving about German cars and bashing American cars as unreliable.

Exactly.

MCN lost cred with me during their last "adventure bike" test, when one of the test morons found the perfect dip in the road, to bash the Super Tenere's engine case against the slab. Then, when the camera focused on him, he had a look on his face like a nine-year-old who just got done pumping the neighbors' dog. I was almost expecting him to point his finger and say, "He did it!"


.
__________________
I spent all my money on motorcycles, 4X4's, whiskey, and women...The rest I just wasted. (edited to fit/original phrase by "WIBO")

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #28
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
That BIKE magazine test would make any PR spin doctor proud. 16 pages of GS promo.

I wonder if the rumored law suit by BM against Bauer media over the report of the "headshake issue" influenced that fluff piece..
Without being distasteful, was the tank-slapper implicated in the death of Kevin Ash?
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #29
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Without being distasteful, was the tank-slapper implicated in the death of Kevin Ash?
Repeat after me..
There is no head shake issue...
There is no head shake issue...
...
...

But when Aussies test a bike they really do test it...


They liked it even though it was a bit weak...Or limp...Or a girlie bike...

Only kidding. It's a good thing....... for a while....

Looks like a bit of a weak point right where that spoke pokes through the rim.

Repeat after me..

The rims aren't soft....
The rims aren't soft....
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 05:08 PM
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #30
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 4,926
The fun never ends...

Here's one for you Rick...

Just a normal day in outback Australia..


Yes that is a tow rope between the Vstrom and the KTM...and the KTM isn't pushing...
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014