Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #31
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Without being distasteful, was the tank-slapper implicated in the death of Kevin Ash?
I was thinking more of the lock to lock slapper that the one journo had that broke the lock stops off. Popular interweb rumour has the guy riding off road, cc on and hands off the bars. Obviously, BM were a tad upset.

So this months issue is to be taken with a pinch of salt.

After having had a go on the GS, i just can't see what all the fuss is about.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #32
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
I was thinking more of the lock to lock slapper that the one journo had that broke the lock stops off. Popular interweb rumour has the guy riding off road, cc on and hands off the bars. Obviously, BM were a tad upset.

So this months issue is to be taken with a pinch of salt.

After having had a go on the GS, i just can't see what all the fuss is about.
Quote:
Four journalists reported a problem with the bike that could characterize a scenario for an unprovoked accident (a Canadian from Canada MotoGuide.com, an Italian from Motociclismo.IT, an American from Motorcycle.Com and an English journalist from Bike Magazine). Below is the account from the American journalist, Kevin Duke of Motorcycle.Com where he reports this problem at 45 mph (72 km/h). The three other journalists reported this happened at higher speeds, one reported it at around 75-85 mph (120-140km/h). Accounts indicate it was related to riding the bike while standing up, bikes that were set up on Enduro Pro mode, with tires for off-road, on straight gravel roads with washboard sections or when encountering a bump on the road or something that disturbed the front wheel.
However with most of this stuff, no owners have had it yet so who knows...It may have been quietly corrected.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:55 AM   #33
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Here's one for you Rick...

Just a normal day in outback Australia..

Yes that is a tow rope between the Vstrom and the KTM...and the KTM isn't pushing...
To be fair Graham, the Wee Strom only towed the broken Kato 1,235 klms in two days.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #34
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
To be fair Graham, the Wee Strom only towed the broken Kato 1,235 klms in two days.
Yeah poor effort..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 04-28-2013, 05:27 AM   #35
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,724
Quote:
Yeah poor effort..
But at least the Wee was orange!

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #36
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,590
I could give 2 shits what some motorcycle journalists say about bikes they don't even own.........unless its about the best bike ever, a 2013 Stelvio like mine.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #37
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,468
...and in the long run, that's all that counts.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #38
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Kinda like the Top Gear guys always raving about German cars and bashing American cars as unreliable.
I don't think "unreliable" is what they usually refer to when they criticize American cars.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #39
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Here's one for you Rick...

Just a normal day in outback Australia..

Yes that is a tow rope between the Vstrom and the KTM...and the KTM isn't pushing...
To be fair, the V-strom could be towing any of a cast of unreliable 1.2 liter travel bikes.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 04-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #40
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
I could give 2 shits what some motorcycle journalists say about bikes they don't even own.........unless its about the best bike ever, a 2013 Stelvio like mine.
Nice.

I've read many "debates" here about motorcycles, where people get personal about their choice of a motorcycle. I love it when people articulate their opinion to elevate their choice or to downgrade other people's choices. It is an art form.

I find it revealing, it is a characteristic of human nature, how easily people are influenced by other people's opinion, especially the ones that have, in their perception, more credentials than they do. It could be journalists, it could be a fellow rider who happens to be an excellent rider. Or someone who writes well and convincingly.

And it is interesting also to see how on these debates people want others to corroborate with their choice, so they feel their choice is justified. That's when they try to convince others that the rational they followed for choosing their bike is undoubtedly the most reasonable of all of the rationals and their bike is the best bike.

But it is always fun. And I admit, I always learn something about the bikes in question from these debates, after filtering potential biases, of course.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 08:19 AM
Old 04-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #41
icebox
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 984
Ford, Chevy, Dodge

who's got the bigger dick,

Now, if someone bought you one of the three, S10, Katoom, or HORRORS, a BM, and you had to ride it for a year, would you really be that miserable? mines paid for, was cheap enough used, and I stll have fun. just like girls though, don't mind looking, and still wave at all you FYYFFs
Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #42
Ulyssessix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Motorcycles are like screwdrivers.

You can have the most expensive, fanciest screwdriver available, but if it doesn't fit the screw its worthless.

I remember one ride we went on which involved overgrown trails, it was cold with ice in the mud, instant elevation changes of around five feet and several sections where you had to maneuver around trees with no path at all. We had two bike, a DR-Z400 and a XT225. Do a comparison like this one and every tester would pick the DR-Z400. But that day, in those conditions the XT225 was the bike to have. Overall power, suspension, clearance, the DR-Z trounced the lowly XT. But that day the smaller bike with the easiest reach to the ground, the easiest to handle in the tight and very loose conditions we were in was the clear choice.

Motorcycles are so different, individuals need to find what works best for them and what they want to do with them. Even then I do not believe there is one motorcycle that fits all conditions. Even in this comparison of all adventure bikes, these four bikes have strengths and weaknesses. The KTM has long been hailed as the best off road. The BMW started the segment and what it gives up to the KTM, it gains in comfort for the long hall. S10, relative newcomer gives another choice, with a big parallel twin, as comfortable as the BMW for less money, and for us short legged folks a better reach to the ground. I do not have any experience with the new Explorer, but the Triumph triple is as sweet as it comes. It gives us riders choices and to me that is always a good thing. All four of these bikes and the lowly DL are contenders to replace my Uly when the time comes.

06 Buell Ulysses
99 Buell M2 Cyclone
99 Honda Z50R (Hot Rod)
Ulyssessix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #43
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyssessix View Post
S10, relative newcomer ...
In the is photo you will see Teneres aged from 30 years old on the left to 3 years old on the right...

So apart from a gap in the production of 10 years the S10 is just the biggest of the Teneres to date.

Maybe they were not available in the States, I don't know.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #44
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,926
I was out riding off road today. 3 KTM 990s a GS800 and my Tenere. Came up to a guy
on a vintage tote-gote. Had the biggest grin on his face bouncing around with no suspension
and a Briggs&Stratton power source. We are too fucking spoiled to know it.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #45
Ulyssessix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Super Tenere not Tenere

Quote:
In the is photo you will see Teneres aged from 30 years old on the left to 3 years old on the right...
In the context of this comparison, the article was discussing big bore adventure bikes. The Tenere may be as old as the original GS, but not the Super Tenere. Comparing a Tenere to a Super Tenere would be like comparing a F650GS to a R1200GS. They share a name/designation only. Even in Yamaha's website they differ the Super Tenere as an adventure bike and the Tenere as a dual sport. And sadly no, the Tenere is not available in the US.

06 Buell Ulysses
99 Buell M2 Cyclone
99 Honda Z50R (Hot Rod)
Ulyssessix is offline   Reply With Quote