User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Capt.saveaho OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Scottoiler...

Who's got it and what do you think? For those who know of it I'm doing the Utah 1088 with my dad and chain oil is going to be needed.

Thanks
Erik
Capt.saveaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
LC8rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
I have the touring kit fitted behind the plate. I'm on my first change of chain & sprockets from new and I reckon I've another 5000m left in them yet. Bike has done 40,000m. And no, I don't ride like a pu$$y
Old 04-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
uk_mouse
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
I fitted one under the seat. Keeps it nice and clean but it gets a bit hot in there and the oil tends to come out too quickly. I use EP90 gear oil in it which is a bit thicker (and cheaper!) but really I should get round to mounting the Scottoiler in a better location.

Soon someone will be along to tell us you don't need to oil an O ring chain
Old 04-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
Roeligan
Belgium power!!!

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_mouse View Post
I fitted one under the seat. Keeps it nice and clean but it gets a bit hot in there and the oil tends to come out too quickly. I use EP90 gear oil in it which is a bit thicker (and cheaper!) but really I should get round to mounting the Scottoiler in a better location.

Soon someone will be along to tell us you don't need to oil an O ring chain

correct, you don't...
BUT:
chainlife is extended if you keep it clean, and that is exactly what the scottoiler does (maybe a little less with thick oil): it washes the dirt of and makes sure corrosion stays away longer AND: keeps the o-rings from drying out & destroying themselves...
And that prolongues chain life ;)

I've mounted mine like this: (not a scottoiler, nor my picture, but same location)
Roeligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
Unruled
950S

Oddometer: 106
I have the Tutoro auto-oiler, even less hassle, cheaper and it works a treat. After you've found a sweet setting, that is, I drained an entire reservoir in the first 30 miles using factory recommendations. I guess they don't factor in off-road use, it being kinetically activated and such...
Old 04-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,709
I settled with these

http://ptlube.co.uk/motorcycle-chain-oiler/

After two sets of scotoiler, I found them distorting in high temperatures. Scotoiler need to run "cool". Away from exausts and motor. The tools compartment isn't cool enough. Cheers.
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
stevodadevo
What happened?

Oddometer: 177
Oiling your chain?! pfffff
stevodadevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,709
Yeah, I know, it is a gay thing to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevodadevo View Post
oiling your chain?! Pfffff
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
Capt.saveaho OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
http://ptlube.co.uk/motorcycle-chain-oiler/

After two sets of scotoiler, I found them distorting in high temperatures. Scotoiler need to run "cool". Away from exausts and motor. The tools compartment isn't cool enough. Cheers.
I'm going to take a look at them, I'm going to average about 1100 miles a day do it won't get much rest.
Capt.saveaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
Kikemon
Poseur

Oddometer: 239
I had the Scott electronic (pump) oiler - "e system" or some such after going through two of the gravity fed types. I never could get any of them to work too well. The gravity fed ones seemed to either dump too much oil or none at all and the e-system kept resetting itself and basically turning itself off. I would think that for a long road trip a gravity fed one would work once you got it dialed in. It seems like the settings you would need on a long day of touring are very different than what you would need for commuting or around town riding. I don't have one now because I am fed up with trying to get them to work, but I still like the concept. It is just that the execution is lacking. They can put a man on the moon...
Kikemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikemon View Post
I had the Scott electronic (pump) oiler - "e system" or some such after going through two of the gravity fed types. I never could get any of them to work too well. The gravity fed ones seemed to either dump too much oil or none at all and the e-system kept resetting itself and basically turning itself off. I would think that for a long road trip a gravity fed one would work once you got it dialed in. It seems like the settings you would need on a long day of touring are very different than what you would need for commuting or around town riding. I don't have one now because I am fed up with trying to get them to work, but I still like the concept. It is just that the execution is lacking. They can put a man on the moon...
You've said from experience what I've always thought about the Scottoiler. I am in the camp that believes an O or X ring chain doesn't need lube. However, I do spray this on from time to time:

The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,089
I run the oiler I like it but its messy

Extends my chains life by double

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:09 AM   #13
JanB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
I kept the oil-lines short and the oiler within easy access... its a little messy, though... but thats the point of it. Washing away the dirt.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:47 AM   #14
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikemon View Post
Why not have a push button on the handle bar, pisst your good for 200 ks.

I have been using wd 40 for about 6 years , it helps degrease the chain before you wash then spray the chain off with a hose , then straight away drown it in wd 40 . i'll use Chain lube for long distance dusty stints over 300 k and pre extreme mud racing, it creates a thick sticky barrrier which seems to help keep sand out better. its good stuff but not nessesary Its messy and expensive. A clean and well lubed chain is a beautiful thing.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #15
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme 2 View Post
I have been using wd 40 for about 6 years , it helps degrease the chain before you wash then spray the chain off with a hose , then straight away drown it in wd 40 .
Not to take this thread to that place but these two suggestions are a huge no-no with sealed o or x ring chains.

Firstly, WD40 is a penetrant and degreaser, with minimal lubricating properties. It penetrates PAST the rubber sealing rings and clears out the grease that the chain manufacturer put in there. Once the WD40 clears out that grease in behind the sealing rings it is impossible to replace it. It pretty much turns your o or x ring chain into an unlubricated chain. So, WD40, not recommended. I know, I know, 'you've been using it for years and haven't seen any problems with it'. That is an honest response. However, the damage WD40 does is not visible to the naked eye. It exists behind the rubber o or x type sealing rings.

Secondly, spraying the chain with water is never necessary or recommended when cleaning an o or x ring chain. The main reason is that the water, if pressurized, can blow past the rubber sealing rings and get in where the grease is sealed in by the manufacturer. This will cause rust, corrosion, and break down of the grease that the chain manufacturer put in there. Secondly, water will make the chain rust in no time. Water to clean chain? No.

Sorry, dude, but I couldn't let this one go unnoticed.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote