ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Too Tall OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Too Tall's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Iowa Great Lakes
Oddometer: 167
Canadian Border Tire Duties?

I plan to carry a spare, new motorcycle tire with me when I cross the border from the US into Canada this summer. I'll change the current rear tire somewhere in Canada when it is used up. Should be good for the rest of the trip tire-wise then.

Question, will Canada have any fees or duty on the new/spare tire when I cross the border?
__________________
-Fortunately still working on my Bucket List-
2014 KTM 300XCW
2013 KTM 500EXC
2012 Triumph 800XC
2010 KTM 990 SMT
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
I plan to carry a spare, new motorcycle tire with me when I cross the border from the US into Canada this summer. I'll change the current rear tire somewhere in Canada when it is used up. Should be good for the rest of the trip tire-wise then.

Question, will Canada have any fees or duty on the new/spare tire when I cross the border?
If your a US citizen and the tire is for your own use, then no, there should be no border fees at all... Even a Canadian citizen is allowed a certain dollar amount exemption before any fees are charges... Motorcycle parts are duty free for Canadians except they may get charged HST on them depending on value...
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street
 
Jick Magger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Okanagan Valley BC, Canada/Scottsdale, Arizona
Oddometer: 808
tires

Nothing to worry about in the least.
__________________
"Blessed are the Cheesemakers"


RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
Too Tall OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Too Tall's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Iowa Great Lakes
Oddometer: 167
Thanks for the quick replies. Looking forward to the trip thru Canada.
__________________
-Fortunately still working on my Bucket List-
2014 KTM 300XCW
2013 KTM 500EXC
2012 Triumph 800XC
2010 KTM 990 SMT
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mtl_Biker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Oddometer: 496
Not so. Whether duty is charged or not isn't a question of are they motorcycle parts or not, but rather of their country of origin. If the product you are buying (any product, for any purpose) is MADE IN THE USA then there is NO DUTY, thanks to the NAFTA agreement. But if the product is made somewhere else, like Asia or Europe, then duty IS charged.

But as to the OP's question, I think it is extremely unlikely that he'll have any trouble at all (or any fees) in bringing his spare tire along with him into Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Motorcycle parts are duty free for Canadians except they may get charged HST on them depending on value...
__________________
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
Not so. Whether duty is charged or not isn't a question of are they motorcycle parts or not, but rather of their country of origin. If the product you are buying (any product, for any purpose) is MADE IN THE USA then there is NO DUTY, thanks to the NAFTA agreement. But if the product is made somewhere else, like Asia or Europe, then duty IS charged.

But as to the OP's question, I think it is extremely unlikely that he'll have any trouble at all (or any fees) in bringing his spare tire along with him into Canada.
In theory the parts made in US are duty free... In reality, I have never heard of anybody being charged duty on MC parts made in Euro/Asia, only sales tax... I think the duty free designation covers parts that are manufactured for the US market ...
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street
 
Jick Magger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Okanagan Valley BC, Canada/Scottsdale, Arizona
Oddometer: 808
Spare

Tell him you are on your way to Alaska, in the "highly unlikely" event he was to give you a hard time over carrying a spare tire. No one ever questions a car driver who carries a spare. Just say Eh!
__________________
"Blessed are the Cheesemakers"


RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Lewiston,ID
Oddometer: 1,628
The tire is free, but they will charge you for the air.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014