User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
Disco97 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
KTM 640 Adventure temp idiot light questions

I recently purchased a 2000 KTM 640 Adventure and have put lots of time and money into it just trying to get it road worthy. One thing I am trying to find out is whether the Temp idiot light is working or not. I don't want to rebuild the engine again. Is the light supposed to come on when the ignition is switched on and go out when the engine is started?
Mine doesn't come on and hasn't when I have test ridden it for the first couple of miles. Which is good, I guess. Is there a way I can test the light and/or sender to make sure it is working properly?

Thanks!
Disco97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,907
There must be a temp sender unit.

If you remove it and boil it it should close the conacts internally(test for continuity with a meter), alternatively to test the light remove the leads from the temp sender and hook up power and ground...the light should light.

IMHO.
b

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Disco97 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thanks Bill. I'll give that a shot. I remember doing this with thermostats in high school! I'm hoping it's just a burnt out bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
There must be a temp sender unit.

If you remove it and boil it it should close the conacts internally(test for continuity with a meter), alternatively to test the light remove the leads from the temp sender and hook up power and ground...the light should light.

IMHO.
b
Disco97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Temperature switch for warning light is on cylinder head, hidden between thermostat housing and intake rocker shaft.
Brass colored switch with single wire.

For light test simply ground this wire to engine with something conductive and light should light.

Switch testing involves draining coolant and removing switch from head, and then heating it up to 110c when switch should close.

There isnt any automatic bulb test on adventure, warning light dosnt normally light when ignition is on.
Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by seikkailu_r View Post
temperature switch for warning light is on cylinder head, hidden between thermostat housing and intake rocker shaft.
Brass colored switch with single wire.

For light test simply ground this wire to engine with something conductive and light should light.

Switch testing involves draining coolant and removing switch from head, and then heating it up to 110c when switch should close.

There isnt any automatic bulb test on adventure, warning light dosnt normally light when ignition is on.

+2

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote