Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 01:35 AM   #16
wmoncrieff OP
New Oldie

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by plodalong View Post
Had an 86 model back when I was a pup (in my 30's) and did some great trips on it. If a good one came up I would be sorely tempted. Have to make do with an xt660r these days as the new Tenere is out of my price bracket.

An old picture taken on the Barry way back in the 80's

That's what my Ten SHOULD look like, sadly it's nothin like it and unless work picks up, it won't be. I discovered my rare as rocking horse shit 28 litre tank is rooted

No wonder the bike was fitted with an XT600 tank from a wrecker, it still has the wreckers black texta writing on it
wmoncrieff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:37 AM   #17
wmoncrieff OP
New Oldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by touser View Post
If it was a horse you'd shoot it.
Yep. Then sell the meat to the local butcher as beef
Old 04-26-2013, 04:02 AM   #18
johnquinnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Noticed an XT tank in eBay when I was trawling through it last night Scott (William) - my be worth a look?
JQ
johnquinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:09 AM   #19
johnquinnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
After seeing that rear sprocket William, I don't have much respect for the previous owner.
johnquinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:17 AM   #20
wmoncrieff OP
New Oldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnquinnell View Post
After seeing that rear sprocket William, I don't have much respect for the previous owner.
No John, it's a real shame. He even tried to weld the ball back on the end of a broken clutch leverwho does that when they cost $15!! It's got a good[ish] XT600 tank on it sans the 'air scoops]. maybe I could turn the crook Tenere tank into a fake cover, just to fill that seat/tank gap
Old 04-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #21
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,511
A decent proper panel beater could fix that tank so you'd never know, but he'd want to be a mate, otherwise the labour charge would kill you. Seriously, a bloke in Byron Bay used to fabricate tank panels and such, and widen stock tanks for added range, and you'd never pick them unless they were parked next to a stocker they were that good. It CAN be repaired.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #22
Eric66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by plodalong View Post
Had an 86 model back when I was a pup (in my 30's) and did some great trips on it. If a good one came up I would be sorely tempted. Have to make do with an xt660r these days as the new Tenere is out of my price bracket.

An old picture taken on the Barry way back in the 80's

Hey Plodalong,the sheepskins and gearsacks are still popular,here's a photo of mine cooling off at Bellthorpe yesterday.
Regards Eric
Eric66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #23
wmoncrieff OP
New Oldie

Sheepskins? Yep got one of those too And a pair of throwovers. I'm not giving up on the tank just yet. I can still get the bike roadworthy and use it with the little XT tank in place and get the big 'un sorted over time.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #24
Eric66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
A decent proper panel beater could fix that tank so you'd never know, but he'd want to be a mate, otherwise the labour charge would kill you. Seriously, a bloke in Byron Bay used to fabricate tank panels and such, and widen stock tanks for added range, and you'd never pick them unless they were parked next to a stocker they were that good. It CAN be repaired.
Hey Godsilla,that bloke in Byron Bay is my brother, he did a few XT550 tanks to bring them up to 20ltrs,he was a top notch panel beater then, now he is the mechanic at Desmo HQ and this is his daily ride Nice Patina
Regards Eric
Eric66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #25
wmoncrieff OP
New Oldie

Like the free flow airboxThat highway peg on the engine mount is a great idea for us older less flexible riders. Added to my list
Old 04-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #26
damo2010
damo

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric66 View Post
Hey Godsilla,that bloke in Byron Bay is my brother, he did a few XT550 tanks to bring them up to 20ltrs,he was a top notch panel beater then, now he is the mechanic at Desmo HQ and this is his daily ride Nice Patina
Regards Eric
Hey Eric, I've seen a XT600 up at Perigian in similar condition to this, to much life at the beach. I think it had board mounts on it

Yamaha Tenere XTZ660 4UX
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...rbiW8y1XLQCMtY
damo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #27
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric66 View Post
Regards Eric
Wow! You're brother is Jungle Jim? Far out.

I had one of the 550XT tanks from him too, it was a beautiful piece of work, and indistinguishable from a stocker unless they were parked together.

I also had (as in the photo above) a set of his highway pegs, the front and rear racks (adjustable rear bar placement too) and the subframe welded at the rear for my XT600 Tenere from Jim, he is the MAN! My Tenere got stolen with all those accessories still on it, they were so bloody good and well made.

I'm stuffed if I know why he works for someone else, with those skills he could be stinking rich from making bike accessories.

Say g'day from me, let him know he is well remembered, and I'll let old mate Bootlace know where he is too. Cheers.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:18 AM   #28
wmoncrieff OP
New Oldie

Rough as guts finish, but this bike will never be a showpony brushed on a coat of Dulux Signal Red epoxy enamel, as there was paint off the frame in the strangest places and surface rust was taking hold..neutralised with convertor, prime sand and brush. Very soothing painting by brush

Looks as crook as Rookwood but it looks better than patches..

Found more corrosion here too, but disassembled it today and hit it with convertor in prep for....yep, a brush coat of black epoxy enamel

Also fitted a generic white Cemoto front guard I already had, make a nice partner to the newOEM Yamaha rear one I bought. I'll get a rattle can mixed in acrylic color matched to the rear Yamaha guard to spray the headlight surround and whats left of the original sidecovers. Still stressing about that feckin rear rim though