User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,632
Jetta TDI (it had to be said)

OK seriously, the Elantra is boring to drive, the Corolla is a step above a painful death to drive.

Buying new only makes sense if you plan to finance and the rate kicks ass. VW was running a 0% for 66 months....so I have one.

New the corolla is 3.63% right now though 60, Elantra is 2.9%, neither is amazing.

A Hyundai certified used car might be the ticket:

Quote:
As low as 0.9% APR for up to 36 month terms or 1.90% APR for 37 – 48 months available to customers who meet Hyundai Motor Finance (HMF) credit guidelines. For well qualified buyers; not all buyers may qualify. Higher rates may apply for buyers with lower credit ratings. This offer is valid for all Hyundai Certified Pre-Owned models (model year: 2011-2014) delivered and sold from April 2, 2013 – April 30, 2013.
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/financial...pre-owned.aspx

Lower price tag AND cheaper financing. Just load the thing up with a huge warranty and you still come out on top.

The Cruze is 500 off AND 1.9% new (48 months), it's probably my favorite car overall in the segment.

VW is still kicking everyone's ass with their financing, a Jetta is .9% for 66 months. They're trying to become a big volume seller here in the US so there's a huge push with the rates.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 12:05 PM
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #17
pachap OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Jetta TDI (it had to be said)

OK seriously, the Elantra is boring to drive, the Corolla is a step above a painful death to drive.

Buying new only makes sense if you plan to finance and the rate kicks ass. VW was running a 0% for 66 months....so I have one.

New the corolla is 3.63% right now though 60, Elantra is 2.9%, neither is amazing.

A Hyundai certified used car might be the ticket:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/financial...pre-owned.aspx

Lower price tag AND cheaper financing. Just load the thing up with a huge warranty and you still come out on top.

The Cruze is 500 off AND 1.9% new (48 months), it's probably my favorite car overall in the segment.

VW is still kicking everyone's ass with their financing, a Jetta is .9% for 66 months. They're trying to become a big volume seller here in the US so there's a huge push with the rates.
I test-drove a Cruze. I really liked it and would have bought it on the spot, but they didn't want to deal. Checked around with some other Chevy dealers and it was the same story. I can get an Elantra for $2k less.

With that kind of financing, I will definitely check into a Jetta.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #18
pachap OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post
Your thought process is not quite right.

"Bad luck buying used vehicles..."

Learn how to buy a used car. Buy it from a new car dealer with a warranty. DON'T eat the new car depreciation.

"Two years worth of oil changes..."

That adds up to about $200 savings. Now that's a deal.

"2005 Model gave me too many problems..."

2005 was possibly a crappy year model, so they all must be?

Research reliability ratings in Consumer reports.

Pick the vehicles and years that are the best and meet your criteria.

Find your options on new car dealer's used lots, not the standard used only lots that will finance anyone. Use the web.

Buy at the end of the month. Be willing to make it an all day affair. Learn about the 4 Square before you go.

Yeah.... you wrote the book on buying a car didn't you?

Any used car that I have purchased has been no more than two years old with low mileage and plenty of warranty left. I have even purchased CPO's. Never really worked out for me. The hassle that I have got from used cars is worth the depreciation on a new one. And I don't really swap vehicles a lot. Our last 4 we have had for at least 6 years. The one I have now I've had 10. So the depreciation doesn't bother me. And yes, I buy at the end of the month if at all possible.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #19
pachap OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM View Post
Well, let's think about this logically, shall we....

Which one of these 2 otherwise similar vehicles has the

10 YEAR 100,000 MILE WARRANTY ????????

Elantra----YES

Corolla-----NO

There, it's settled

Now, wasn't that easy?
Yeah, I think this is going to settle it for me.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #20
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap View Post
Yeah, I think this is going to settle it for me.
It's not as good as it sounds, you'll still want to get the bumper to bumper part extended to the full 100k (that's the shit that's likely to go wrong and also can be pretty expensive with how complex they're making cars). The automakers usually throw in free loaner cars and I got roadside assistance as well with my VW.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 04-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #21
glynb
Relentless Underachiever

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Time for a new one. I have been trying to avoid it since last fall, but I have to buy another vehicle now. Transmission is about to go on the ol' 2004 Mountaineer, and it feels like the rear is "binding up" on it... that is about the best I can explain it.

I've done my due diligence as far as looking at all the vehicles similar to the ones in the title, and I've narrowed it down to those two. I like them both. I had a 2003 Corolla, but sold it because I needed a work truck. The Corolla comes with two years worth of oil changes, but I can get the Elantra about $1500 cheaper here.

FWIW, I will be buying new. I have had so much bad luck buying used vehicles in the past that I will never do it again. Yeah I know I'm eating a ton of depreciation...

Also, I am not considering a Honda Civic. I had a 2005 model that gave me way too many problems.
It's a shame you had that experience with that civic. I've got a 2006 Civic EX coupe that I've owned since new, and have had not one single problem with it. it's been a great, sporty little car.

"Pour yourself some backbone, and shaddup!"
Movie- Colt .45
glynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #22
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,274
Quote:
Yeah.... you wrote the book on buying a car didn't you?
Not really, but I do know two years of free oil changes is a killer deal.

Looks like your advrider shopping research is going to get you your next POS vehicle.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #23
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
I test-drove a Cruze. I really liked it and would have bought it on the spot, but they didn't want to deal. Checked around with some other Chevy dealers and it was the same story. I can get an Elantra for $2k less.

With that kind of financing, I will definitely check into a Jetta.
The one downside of the car is the MPG, the city is pretty similar to the rest but the highway is only 34 so if you drive a ton that might be an issue. Also how long do you plan to own the car? And which trim level were you looking at for the other cars? The Jetta is supposed to be a lot better with the 2.5L I-5.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #24
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,413
The Elantra is a good bang for the buck, but I ended up with an Accord. Proven and long lasting. The 2012 Elantra felt too cheap inside IMO. Every one I've talked to with the Korean cars around here say they regret it. The sealed transmissions are stupid. One elderly lady lost her trans at 104k. But, Hyundai did cover it out of warranty, so that was good and bad. Bad since the lifetime tyranny fill is BS and good since she was taken care of.

I may try a CRV next, the 2011 accord has been perfect for the last 51K. Not one problem. Honda has given me the most reliability. Diesel is pricey these days so the trucks stay parked more than the 4 banger accord.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #25
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
The Elantra is a good bang for the buck, but I ended up with an Accord. Proven and long lasting. The 2012 Elantra felt too cheap inside IMO. Every one I've talked to with the Korean cars around here say they regret it. The sealed transmissions are stupid. One elderly lady lost her trans at 104k. But, Hyundai did cover it out of warranty, so that was good and bad. Bad since the lifetime tyranny fill is BS and good since she was taken care of.

I may try a CRV next, the 2011 accord has been perfect for the last 51K. Not one problem. Honda has given me the most reliability. Diesel is pricey these days so the trucks stay parked more than the 4 banger accord.
My mother drove an Elantra GT (the hatchback) her comment about it sums it up "it's a car". Then she bought a Chevy Sonic with the 1.4 turbo...passing up the Dart Turbo because it was ~5k more after all the deals Chevy had going.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #26
pachap OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post
Not really, but I do know two years of free oil changes is a killer deal.

Looks like your advrider shopping research is going to get you your next POS vehicle.

Read the review and it sounds fine to me. Really didn't sound negative. I've looked at most of the other cars that are listed above it and felt like they weren't as roomy as the Elantra, and that a made a big difference to me.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #27
Kris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
My daily driver is a 03 Corolla. I bought it in 04 as a certified used from a Toyota dealer. It has 180,000 now. It always gets 31mpg, and still drives well. It is comfortable and handles well.
Only down side was the auto trans failed at 120k miles. It was probably a fluke as they are not known for transmission problems and our local trans repair shop had never had to repair a Corolla transmission before. They put a used one in. Zero repairs other than that.
I would buy another Corolla without hesitation.
I have kicked around the idea of getting a new or newer car, My short list is another Corolla, Honda Fit, Outlander Sport (they are made locally have a long warranty and local dealer is willing to deal)
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #28
pachap OP
Studly Adventurer

Just an update, the tranny on the Mountainer sharted the bed today, shortly after I wrote the OP. Lets just say reverse is less than dependable right now.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #29
pachap OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynb View Post
It's a shame you had that experience with that civic. I've got a 2006 Civic EX coupe that I've owned since new, and have had not one single problem with it. it's been a great, sporty little car.
Alternator, both the front wheel hubs 2x each, water pump went out, 2 sets of gaskets, AC went out.... all before 80K miles. It was a 2005 EX Coupe.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #30
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,387
My '01 Corolla that i bought new has 310,000 miles. I just had to replace the alternator for $79 bucks.

Boring? Yup. So what? It's just an appliance.

My next car will likely be the Hyundai Elantra Touring, or some other cheap hatchback.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: