User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
SQ Beemer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Question Plastic vs aluminum brake fluid reservoir cover

I know it is meant for protection from people, and not from crashes.

That said, there doesn't seem to be many options. I had a plastic TT cover on and it broke off in a decent crash in the sand. I am looking at the cost of the plastic part ($70) and the aluminum part ($42), and cannot make any sense out of this.

Only thing I can come up with is that the plastic guard is made to break before the reservoir, whereas in an equivalent dump as the one I had experienced, with the aluminum part on, I probably would have more broken parts on the bike.

Am I off my rocker on thinking the plastic part is the safer part?

TT plastic:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...o-2012-plastic

TT aluminum:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...inum-2008-2012

Wunderlich aluminum:
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...00071-072.html
SQ Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 2,907
The Wunderlich aluminium one is way thicker than the TT one and holds up better in crashes. Some guys here have tested them in sturdy ways. Anyway 70 bucks for a piece of plastic seems high =/

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
SQ Beemer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
The Wunderlich aluminium one is way thicker than the TT one and holds up better in crashes. Some guys here have tested them in sturdy ways. Anyway 70 bucks for a piece of plastic seems high =/
Yes, if going aluminum, I am getting the wunderlich part just because I am trying to reduce my spending with TT (out of business principles).

What are you using?
Old 04-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ Beemer View Post
Yes, if going aluminum, I am getting the wunderlich part just because I am trying to reduce my spending with TT (out of business principles).

What are you using?
Touratech since I got it for free but I just use it because it prevents the urine sample to move around :o) and of course because it looks bang-tidy

R1150GSA SE

Old 04-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
SQ Beemer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Plastic or aluminum?
Old 04-01-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ Beemer View Post
Plastic or aluminum?
aluminium :o). Wouldn't buy it though. Wanted to jump a wunderlich one back then but then a friend sold his 800GS and gave me his touratech for free so never looked back.

R1150GSA SE

Old 04-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
lookaught
Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 207
My bike came with the Wunderlich one. I'm not really convinced it will do anything other than bend in a crash. I'm honestly not sure what it even does other than add weight.
Solo Ride Pennsylvania to Anchorage, Alaska and back 2011

Two Ape supermotos take on the Dragon
lookaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
SQ Beemer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Getting a Kiladala made, 4 mm aluminum cover. Really apprehensive about switching from plastic to aluminum because of auxiliary damage potential in a sandy crash (which I am forever destined for); however, I don't want to buy anymore TT products if possible, so we will see how this goes!

The part is not on his website and it's a limited run, so if anyone wants in on it let me know. $50 USD plus shipping.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:20 AM   #9
GoneAgain
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,300
I've stacked a billion times, flipped the bike a few times, made it do cartwheels after hitting roos..... And never damaged Mr bobble head... Move on...

If your real worried about it.. convert to the 2013 model setup....

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:26 AM   #10
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
I bought the plastic Tourtech. It broke off in short order when the bike was being shipped Panama to Columbia. Frankly I think you don't need any guard.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #11
SQ Beemer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll be honest, half the reason I want the guard is so that I don't have to see the fluid shaking around in my lower peripheral vision. Modifying to the '13 version is not on my list of things to do.

Breaking my plastic TT guard in a sand crash leaves me torn between thinking we don't need it (since just the guard broke), and thinking it may help (did it sacrifice itself?).
Old 04-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #12
lookaught
Loner Extraordinaire

Why don't you buy a set of wrist sweat bands that tennis players use and just put one on the res?

It's really common to do that on sport bikes. Apparently sunshine is bad for brake fluid... I kind of find this hard to believe that sun will really affect the fluid, but the band will at least keep you from seeing the fluid sloshing around.

I used to have one on my old 800 before it lost elasticity and eventually blew off. It came as a freebie in a can of tennis balls that I bought for my dog.

$5 fix.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #13
SQ Beemer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I can't believe I didn't think about something like that. Maybe something more plastic or even gorilla tape. Just more permanent.

My only issue with using any type of fabric is having to replace it, and think about replacing it, as it WILL get nasty on my bike. Definitely a set it and forget it kind of guy!

I suppose an expensive chunk of aluminum will do the same. Plus I love supporting small business (Kiladala in this case).
Old 04-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #14
lookaught
Loner Extraordinaire

Yeah that white one lasted about 10k miles, but was exposed to a LOT of rain, probably 3,000 miles of heavy, constant rain. And sunshine in AK for three months, where the sun is potent.

It did discolor a bit over time too. Eh, it was free and I sure as hell didn't have anything else to to with the single wristban that came in the can of tennis balls! I guess I'd buy a black one if I went to buy one. The trackday guys use these because you can pull them off quickly to get access to the res to adjust fluid or change fluid, and they don't leave residue or make it hard to open like tape.

I also don't really understand Touratech's claim that the guards are to prevent passerbys from loosening the cap... who would loosen a brake res on a bike? That's probably the least likely thing to happen, if anything, someone might try to steal something, not mess with the brakes.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #15
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookaught View Post
I also don't really understand Touratech's claim that the guards are to prevent passerbys from loosening the cap...
It's called Marketing. First they develop a product then generate the need. Reminds me of the Brita water filter commercial. Did you know the same water that you drink from the tap also fills the toilet? OMG!

The bolt that goes from the weight, through the bracket and into the res is supposed to break like mine did - saving the plastic res. You can buy MC specific covers for the res. Even with the BMW roundel. Maybe more UV resistant, IDK. I honestly don't see my bobble head just like cars don't see me.

EDIT: This one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-FOR-BMW-...502339&vxp=mtr

Reaver screwed with this post 04-04-2014 at 11:38 AM
Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote