User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2015, 07:29 PM   #1
cali800gs OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Budget farkle for po'folks..

Ok so I bought myself a new f800gs, to commute most of the time and have fun on the week end and holidays.it's my main mode of transportation. I am a teacher in a tiny rural school in the middle of nowhere, so that means a pretty ridiculous salary but I love my job. Anyhow, having very little money I still have the same passion as those of you with more Mullah..I am looking for budget accessory tips, meaning stories on how you got something on the cheap, by making it yourself, or adapting something from somewhere else etc...that worked. So far I got a ricochet skid plate and BDSM lense protector, Caribou topcase ( had to splurge on that one to carry all my school stuff and lock/have a place for my helmet that is dry)
I still need crashbars, handlebar protectors,taller windshield, good knobbies, soft luggage or hard panniers etcc . I plan to do the trans America trail next year and hope I can have the bike set up and ready and have a bit of dough left for the canned beans for diner.
I have scoured and looked at I am sure everything around..so again, I am curious about the weird but awesome ways you got to keep your wallet fat.
Thanks guys and gals, and yes, I do know that you get what you pay for...unless you are more clever than that he he..I'd like to be!
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2015, 09:54 PM   #2
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 4,398
So, a BMW on a KLR budget?

Got it.

Your best bet without making a new bike look dumb is to stick with used farkles. Ebay, local Craigslist etc. There's lots of guys that buy a bike, farkle it out then trade it in. Dealers won't pay for accessories so they'll get stripped and sold at half price. You can find crashed crash bars and repaint them. Lots of ways really. I started with wrecked bikes so it didn't matter.

Yours new or new to you?
Old 03-23-2015, 03:43 AM   #3
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,815
do it like Oscar said and get your parts second hand. Mostly they are in good state since people strip and sell them.

Cheapest crashbars should still be Givi. Cheapest floodlights that work are from advmonster. You even get a 10% discount when you're a member here.
Cheapest knobbies that work good and have a good life span are from mitas.
Cheapest hard panniers are from heavy duty. on soft luggage I'm out.

Lucky you that the $ and are almost the same right now so that you can shop for cheap here in europe. That is how we did it the other way round a 'till a couple of months ago . Don't ya wanna start another war so that I can get my farkles cheap ?
Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
cali800gs OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Thanks Reaver, indeed I have been scouring Ebay, CL.. etc..unfortunately not yet too much luck. My F800gs is a 2014 I got new in February ( great deal on financing and on the bike) I guess not many around yet to have used parts, but I certainly am looking daily..
Loutre, thanks as well. You know your post reminded me that I am headed to Germany for a school exchange in a couple of month so I started looking at stuff there online and holy cow, Touratech and Wunderlich stuff is soooooo much cheaper..and I am sure there are grands there I haven't even heard of. (Actually I had never head of Heavy Duties panniers, thanks for the tip!)..and lots and lots of used stuff..so I think I may do this like this indeed
Cheers!
Old 03-23-2015, 08:09 AM   #5
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 4,398
BTW, the Real north isn't anywhere near California.

I was going to say wait till the snow melts.

You just have to be patient. Stuff will show up in trickles. You need to be aware of what will fit your bike as well. Ebay'rs will only list what's on the package for application but may fit other models. Handguards are '13+ only for your bike for factory parts.

How do you know you want a taller windscreen? What do you want it to do? Less turbulence often means shorter. Rain protection? See the threads.

For a new seat...unless you're one of the few that can stand stock, there are a variety of makes and your butt will have a preference. Have you rode it more than 2 hrs, or burnt a tank in one ride? Walk funny after that?

For the seat and screen, try to borrow one for trials before you commit. I used to lend out my Comfort seat and taller windscreens for trials. Many guys have spent a fortune trying to find what works for them, buying new all the time so don't make that mistake.

Your bike came with factory luggage racks so find a set of beat up Varios for a quick fix. Some (a lot) of people drop their precious once and scratch the bags, then want new. Yoy may have to go one at a time. I bought a few where the expanding mech was broke and fixed it myself. There's threads here if you're handy. Get some luggage that will protect the bike for when you drop it on the trail. Should you decide to sell the bike, it'll need to be pristine so let the removable accessories take the hit.

1) Figure out what you want.
2) Wait for it.

After the TAT you'll be looking at suspension options.

Just sayin'.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
midlifecrisis388
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
cheap farkle

Throttle lock (Caterpillar O Ring) - about $1 on ebay and works better than those costing over $100

midlifecrisis388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
inbred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
That your Moped? If so, Take those blue panniers off your moped and figure a way too mount 'em on your new ride. Zip ties work great. Bike panniers make excellent dual sport packs. I have a pair of Robert Beckman panniers that have given me 15 years rugged use on a DRZ 400.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #8
coolrunnings
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Dealership Swap Meet

Look for a dealership near you that does an annual swap meet. In the PNW we have two dealerships that do this.

You will find all sorts of gear. I found brand new wolfman bags for $120.They retail for 270.

They will have all sorts of things you could use to cheaply farkle with. Like maybe adapting a 1200gs windscreen for $50....

Try imagining the possibilities when you look at buying used gear, sometimes you will stumble onto some great ideas.
coolrunnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #9
flei
cycletherapist

Oddometer: 1,173
Check out these threads for some inspiration: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279286

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761582

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683736
Old 03-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #10
JGoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
http://www.dbzproducts.com

Has an inexpensive rack and soft bags that work well. The bags aren't waterproof but the sell liners if you need. I have the Rangers on an f 650 gs. The rack took about 10 min to install.
JGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #11
mischief
misadventurer

Oddometer: 650
Another thread

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post26437305