Originally Posted by Petzl View Post
Plastic skid plate ?
philratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #213
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
ESA 2?

Is $15k the final price? How much on road costs ?

It's $21500 down here in Aust.
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:26 AM   #214
Rodooo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Mmmmmm loving the GSA. Could be tempted
Rodooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #215
Rodooo
Adventurer

How come on the tech specs of 800 adventure it says its slightly less economical than a standard 800 and less top speed? I thought it was just exact same bike except big tank
Old 05-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #216
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodooo View Post
How come on the tech specs of 800 adventure it says its slightly less economical than a standard 800 and less top speed? I thought it was just exact same bike except big tank
because as you said it's the same engine but heavier and takes more wind with it. When you load your F800GS don't you get lower fuel mileage? physics :o)

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #217
Rodooo
Adventurer

So true
Old 05-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #218
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,295
An "Adventure" model with a plastic skid plate and street tires????
Old 05-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #219
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Come on now - this model is nothing worth the extra money. If someone wants a ADV inspired F800 they would be better off getting a used F800GS and then replacing the wheels with some nice Woody's 21/18 and either replacing the forks or swapping to Ohlins drop-ins, then doing the usual air box mods etc etc, ditching the cat and swapping to a better exhaust, and having renazco make a decent seat.

Anything less is just marketing fluff. The model they're posting on the magazines solves none of the established issues with the platform and continues to be just another overloaded wannabe touring bike.

{speaking from experience with tearing the F8 apart to fix all the above mentioned issues and then moving on to more suitable offroad bikes...}
Old 05-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #220
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieO View Post
An "Adventure" model with a plastic skid plate and street tires????
Strange, but I've seen pictures both with the plastic skid plate and the aluminum skid plate that came on my 800GS Trophy. Not sure which is right.

As for the tires, I don't think too many "adventure" bikes come with real off-road tires. the 1200 GSA comes with street tires too I believe.
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #221
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapenagary View Post
I don't know if I'm getting the "launch edition". But it's coming with:

Enduro PKG which includes Off Road Mode (ABS/ASC)
Enduro ASC

Luxury PKG which includes Heated Grips
On Board Computer
Center Stand

LED Fog Light

ESA II (electronic Suspension ADJ)

Total Price including destination charge $15,545.

Some people make remarks about the price. It seems reasonable for a BMW. Not for a V-Strom or some other mid sized bikes. Besides, it's only money and you only go around once. Ask me, I know. I'm 71.
No, you're overpaying. Plain and simple. If you want an actual adventure ready F800GS then buy a used one and customize it. The one they're selling as the GSA model is, quite literally, a waste of money. You are not getting your money's worth when you buy into the marketing hype that is very heavily surrounding the GSA version.

I paid $13400 for a brand new 2010 OTD, put around $5-6k into it (including a full WP front and rear suspension, woody's wheels w/ 18" rear, every skid plate possible, EFI controller, arrow headers, leo vince pipe, side+rear racks, tubliss conversion, useable pegs for offroad, Scotts damper, Shorai battery, etc etc etc). That is a getting your money's worth for less than $20k if you want an adventure moto for offroad long haul trips. If you want a name tag with a BMW on it that says "I spend a lot of money" then by all means pay for the hype but this GSA model is not any more adventure ready than the previous version.

If you want extra range there are plenty of other options. If you want a real offroad adventure bike there are better options via significantly cheaper solutions (and not just better by price but better by performance). If you want a name and an image then buy the F800GS Adventure.

señormoto screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 05:26 PM Reason: hurr words
señormoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #222
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
No, you're overpaying. Plain and simple. If you want an actual adventure ready F800GS then buy a used one and customize it. The one they're selling as the GSA model is, quite literally, a waste of money. You are not getting your money's worth when you buy into the marketing hype that is very heavily surrounding the GSA version.

I paid $13400 for a brand new 2010 OTD, put around $5-6k into it (including a full WP front and rear suspension, woody's wheels w/ 18" rear, every skid plate possible, EFI controller, arrow headers, leo vince pipe, side+rear racks, tubliss conversion, useable pegs for offroad, Scotts damper, Shorai battery, etc etc etc). That is a getting your money's worth for less than $20k if you want an adventure moto for offroad long haul trips. If you want a name tag with a BMW on it that says "I spend a lot of money" then by all means pay for the hype but this GSA model is not any more adventure ready than the previous version.

If you want extra range there are plenty of other options. If you want a real offroad adventure bike there are better options via significantly cheaper solutions (and not just better by price but better by performance). If you want a name and an image then buy the F800GS Adventure.
You are making some pretty sweeping generalizations. One man's waste of money can be another man's reasoned purchase.

Money equals time. The time it takes to find and purchase a good used bike, and then to mod said used bike, may far exceed any monetary savings for some. Personally, I try hard to avoid blanket criticism of other's purchases based on my own valuation of time and money. What works for you, and seems the most rational for you, may not be so for every rider on this board.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #223
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post
One man's waste of money can be another man's reasoned purchase.
Agreed. And to me personally there's a huge VALUE in buying new over used. It's a huge value to me to know exactly how a bike has been treated before I got my hands on it. I'll happily pay more for that. How many horror stories on this board start with: "so I bought this bike from some guy, and now..."
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #224
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
I'm only familiar with the Touratech expanded tank, what are the other options besides something like ropax?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
If you want extra range there are plenty of other options.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #225
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post
You are making some pretty sweeping generalizations. One man's waste of money can be another man's reasoned purchase.

Money equals time. The time it takes to find and purchase a good used bike, and then to mod said used bike, may far exceed any monetary savings for some. Personally, I try hard to avoid blanket criticism of other's purchases based on my own valuation of time and money. What works for you, and seems the most rational for you, may not be so for every rider on this board.
He's making points based on personal view of course as well as objective comparison to what else is out there. The f800gs doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Honestly the suspension comments are completely justified. A $15000 bike with no adjustable (in fact deliberately non adjustable is a joke in 2013. Maybe in 1985 it was ok. But with all modern bikes having adjustable forks it is a serious omission.

Shock bolts getting bent is another issue.

Does it cost more to have a well made bike?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote