ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #376
Rodooo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 59
I found GSA screen ok. No better or worse than my own bike with bmw touring screen and wunderlich deflector
Rodooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #377
fenske
Adventurer
 
fenske's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: sedona az
Oddometer: 29
real world report

ok... this is my 3rd 800... 2009 2012 & th3 2014GSA
The GSA FRICKIN ROCKS!!!! Right out of the box did the COBDR, flew right by the usual 600 first check and it felt fine...

1. Windscreen is awesome it even tunnels the water over your head in fast deep crossings...
2. Ride settings are great... they do as there told... you just need to know how to tell them.
3. DONOT do any heavy climbing in loose crap with traction control on... turn everything off, including ABS, go to endure mode, Sport, and hammer it!!!
4. Stupid plastic bash plate change that before you leave the dealer.. and the exhaust
5. Already had a Pannier come off on the highway and it was locked down Hmmm???
6. Bike is tall and heavy
7. Throw on the knobbies asap
8. footpeg rubbers are bolted in so don't think you can just grab them out when wet.
9. Would like to see some upper crashbars from someone soon..
10. body panels still nonexisting in shops
11. center stand works a 1000x easier than last 2 bikes
12. hand guards interfere with any mounts that use same bolts as mirrors...
13. BEST BIKE EVER
__________________
fenske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #378
Icy Roads
Adventurer
 
Icy Roads's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Alberta
Oddometer: 57
nice to hear but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenske View Post
ok... this is my 3rd 800... 2009 2012 & th3 2014GSA
The GSA FRICKIN ROCKS!!!! Right out of the box did the COBDR, flew right by the usual 600 first check and it felt fine...

1. Windscreen is awesome it even tunnels the water over your head in fast deep crossings...
2. Ride settings are great... they do as there told... you just need to know how to tell them.
3. DONOT do any heavy climbing in loose crap with traction control on... turn everything off, including ABS, go to endure mode, Sport, and hammer it!!!
4. Stupid plastic bash plate change that before you leave the dealer.. and the exhaust
5. Already had a Pannier come off on the highway and it was locked down Hmmm???
6. Bike is tall and heavy
7. Throw on the knobbies asap
8. footpeg rubbers are bolted in so don't think you can just grab them out when wet.
9. Would like to see some upper crashbars from someone soon..
10. body panels still nonexisting in shops
11. center stand works a 1000x easier than last 2 bikes
12. hand guards interfere with any mounts that use same bolts as mirrors...
13. BEST BIKE EVER
Fuel range on full tank is my question.
__________________
Icyroads
Icy Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #379
moulin6801
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: TN
Oddometer: 167
Question

Great feedback thanks!! Please keep posting more! I am about to go test drive on this Wednesday, wanting to trade down my 1200GSA...
How do you feel about the Tube tires??? I am so disappointed to learn that BMW would make an "ADV" bike with tube tires.... crazy!!! That has been a turn off for me.... but still want to test drive and see what the fuss is all about!!
Do you feel it being heavier than your other 800gs's as you maneuver it around and offroad ?? Can you feel the extra 30lbs?? That is one of my concerns, since it now is only 30lbs lighter than the 1200GS
Thanks!!!
moulin6801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #380
Rodooo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 59
At least with tubes can fix a puncture at road side. If have no tubes and get a big rip in tyre u r parked and going nowhere
Rodooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:14 AM   #381
gs_lad
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Crete, Greece
Oddometer: 28
The bike seems well improved on all aspects, except for the aesthetic part..
Why oh why did they "inflate" the front faux tank so much that it protrudes like a large chunk of plastic towards the sides? If this happened only as a reference to the larger (functioning) tank of the r1200GSA, it only succeeded in rendering all of the current crashbar-designs useless for this model..
gs_lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #382
Motorman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Motorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by moulin6801 View Post
Great feedback thanks!! Please keep posting more! I am about to go test drive on this Wednesday, wanting to trade down my 1200GSA...
How do you feel about the Tube tires??? I am so disappointed to learn that BMW would make an "ADV" bike with tube tires.... crazy!!! That has been a turn off for me.... but still want to test drive and see what the fuss is all about!!
Do you feel it being heavier than your other 800gs's as you maneuver it around and offroad ?? Can you feel the extra 30lbs?? That is one of my concerns, since it now is only 30lbs lighter than the 1200GS
Thanks!!!
+1 Too bad about the tubed wheels.
__________________
"Put On The Armour Of LIGHT"
"Light Up The Darkness"
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #383
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs_lad View Post
The bike seems well improved on all aspects, except for the aesthetic part..
Why oh why did they "inflate" the front faux tank so much that it protrudes like a large chunk of plastic towards the sides? If this happened only as a reference to the larger (functioning) tank of the r1200GSA, it only succeeded in rendering all of the current crashbar-designs useless for this model..

I'm not sure why they did it, but the result is a little bit better wind protection for those for whom that is a concern.

I was a bit disappointed as well when I realized the current all encompassing crash bar designs won't work on the Adventure, nor do Touratech's current ZegaPro mounts due to the increased fuel capacity.

Just have to wait until the aftermarket guys address these issues.
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #384
Motorman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Motorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Oddometer: 489
I trust that Touratech is working on mounts for the Zega Pros.
__________________
"Put On The Armour Of LIGHT"
"Light Up The Darkness"
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #385
moulin6801
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: TN
Oddometer: 167
Hey guys, just an update... I have had a heart break test ride with the new 800GSA today. The dealership in Louisville KY were awesome, they let me have the bike, and told me to have some fun with it. Great people! Will give them business when I can.... :)
In any case, I love the 800GSA on the road, lots of power and agile, however offroad and slow riding was disappointing, compared to my 2012 1200GSA. The clutch on 800GSA was harder, the bike was thinner but felt almost as heavy, and the handle bar was narrower. Also did not lack the lack of torque that the 1200GSA has, in slow speed and offroad, means that on 1200GSA you need to rev the bike less and less clutch than the 800GSA. In fact, the bike died on my several times during slow maneuvering offroad, just because I am not use to have to rev/clutch so much....
Too bad, because I was excited about trading for the 800GSA....
So, next spet is wait for the KTM 1190R and the 2014 1200GSA....
Cheers!!
moulin6801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #386
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer
 
speed_racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by moulin6801 View Post
Hey guys, just an update... I have had a heart break test ride with the new 800GSA today. The dealership in Louisville KY were awesome, they let me have the bike, and told me to have some fun with it. Great people! Will give them business when I can.... :)
In any case, I love the 800GSA on the road, lots of power and agile, however offroad and slow riding was disappointing, compared to my 2012 1200GSA. The clutch on 800GSA was harder, the bike was thinner but felt almost as heavy, and the handle bar was narrower. Also did not lack the lack of torque that the 1200GSA has, in slow speed and offroad, means that on 1200GSA you need to rev the bike less and less clutch than the 800GSA. In fact, the bike died on my several times during slow maneuvering offroad, just because I am not use to have to rev/clutch so much....
Too bad, because I was excited about trading for the 800GSA....
So, next spet is wait for the KTM 1190R and the 2014 1200GSA....
Cheers!!
I havent rode the 800GSA yet, but I owned the f650 twin, did a good ride on a 13' f800gs and same on a 1200gsa, and the 8gs felt great in comparison, like I couldn't fault it.. the 1200gsa felt heavy and took a lot of effort to do twisties left to right sort of stuff.. Where the 8gs felt more like my motoX bike.

i was hanging out for the 8gsa but then found the ktm 1190r and put the deposit on it ;)
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #387
pilesofmiles
Life is an Adventure
 
pilesofmiles's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
I havent rode the 800GSA yet, but I owned the f650 twin, did a good ride on a 13' f800gs and same on a 1200gsa, and the 8gs felt great in comparison, like I couldn't fault it.. the 1200gsa felt heavy and took a lot of effort to do twisties left to right sort of stuff.. Where the 8gs felt more like my motoX bike.

i was hanging out for the 8gsa but then found the ktm 1190r and put the deposit on it ;)
The KTM is a decent machine..I had an 08 990 gun metal grey...dealer support just about non-existent or few and far between here in the Carolina's. One dealer did not even have a 990 on the floor at the time, said he did sell enough to justify ordering one? tells me if a major failure occurs it will be a very costly hassle to get the bike repaired. Hopefully the land down under has more dealerships.

I rode it or awhile, sold it and moved on.

I am loving the 2014 launch edition F800 GSA, exactly what I want to ride.

Look forward to your review of the 1190 even as subjective as reviews are..
__________________
"Life is no dress rehearsal"

pilesofmiles screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 09:21 AM
pilesofmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #388
sinuhexavier
Adventurer
 
sinuhexavier's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Atwater, CA
Oddometer: 60

had the opportunity to take the new GSA for a spin between Reno and LA for Overland Journal. Managed to add a few hundred extra miles going through Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia NP and NM... A lot of fun.

iPhone pic... Sorry the big ones are for later...
__________________
Overlandia ---- www.themightymotor.com

Twitter: sinuhexavier Instagram: sinuhe xavier

2010 Triumph Scrambler - 2012 Triumph 800xc
sinuhexavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #389
pilesofmiles
Life is an Adventure
 
pilesofmiles's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinuhexavier View Post

had the opportunity to take the new GSA for a spin between Reno and LA for Overland Journal. Managed to add a few hundred extra miles going through Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia NP and NM... A lot of fun.

iPhone pic... Sorry the big ones are for later...
Awesome photo!
__________________
"Life is no dress rehearsal"
pilesofmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #390
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer
 
rmhrc628's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: The high country VIC
Oddometer: 2,288
Spotted the new GSA at Melbourne BMW this morning in tan colour.

Looks good.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014