User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #391
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Question for former 800 owners and now GSA owners:

Can you fit the GSA seat to non GSA 800?

Can you fit the GSA screen to non GSA800?

I'm not sold on the tan Colour scheme of the gsa800...yet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #392
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenske View Post
ok... this is my 3rd 800... 2009 2012 & th3 2014GSA
The GSA FRICKIN ROCKS!!!! Right out of the box did the COBDR, flew right by the usual 600 first check and it felt fine...

1. Windscreen is awesome it even tunnels the water over your head in fast deep crossings...
2. Ride settings are great... they do as there told... you just need to know how to tell them.
3. DONOT do any heavy climbing in loose crap with traction control on... turn everything off, including ABS, go to endure mode, Sport, and hammer it!!!
4. Stupid plastic bash plate change that before you leave the dealer.. and the exhaust
5. Already had a Pannier come off on the highway and it was locked down Hmmm???
6. Bike is tall and heavy
7. Throw on the knobbies asap
8. footpeg rubbers are bolted in so don't think you can just grab them out when wet.
9. Would like to see some upper crashbars from someone soon..
10. body panels still nonexisting in shops
11. center stand works a 1000x easier than last 2 bikes
12. hand guards interfere with any mounts that use same bolts as mirrors...
13. BEST BIKE EVER
Re no 11: is the centre stand different to nml gs800?

Old 07-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #393
pilesofmiles
Life is an Adventure

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post

To answer your questions;
No and aaaaaaaaaaaaa No.

Can't help ya on the color. I love the sand mat.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #394
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilesofmiles View Post
The KTM is a decent machine..I had an 08 990 gun metal grey...dealer support just about non-existent or few and far between here in the Carolina's. One dealer did not even have a 990 on the floor at the time, said he did sell enough to justify ordering one? tells me if a major failure occurs it will be a very costly hassle to get the bike repaired. Hopefully the land down under has more dealerships.

I rode it or awhile, sold it and moved on.

I am loving the 2014 launch edition F800 GSA, exactly what I want to ride.

Look forward to your review of the 1190 even as subjective as reviews are..
Thanks for the heads up on that. Pretty much anything we need to order in is about a 2 to 6 week wait here, unless we pay $30 extra for expedited shipping.. But in terms of minor servicing parts and etc.. I would hope they would have them in stock.. I'll be sure to review it once I get it ;)

If only the 800 GSA had close to 150hp, I would still consider it, its just that i cant get that damn s1000rr test ride out of my head.. hehe
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #395
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

G'day Mate,
by the looks of it, its just a different coloured comfort seat.. but if not just order the comfort seat with the GS.. same look n feel anyway..

not sure on the GSA screen, i know the screens are different between the pre 13' models and post 13' models.. so could be different with the GSA again..

But considering the price that BMW want for stuff, especially a limited model like this, I would be more inclined to get the fully adjustable one from touratech for $560 euro or $1000 aust. I would assume BMW would probably want about $800 for the gsa screen anyway.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #396
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilesofmiles View Post
To answer your questions;
No and aaaaaaaaaaaaa No.

Can't help ya on the color. I love the sand mat.
Damn

Does it look even close ?

I like the seat and screen.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #397
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Aftermarket Adventure Parts

Looked at another thread that listed a number of Skid Plates for the new F800GSA and I finally decided on the one from AltRider. Not that it was significantly better than others (one had a cut out for the oil drain plug that the AltRider didn't) but I liked the fact that it's made in the USA, or at least that's what I'm told.

Anyway, while it seems that the current F800GS Skid Plate will work on the GSA, there might be some fitment issues with the stock crash bars. AltRider reps say you might have to remove some material to get it to fit around one side of the crash bars. Hate having to modify new parts to make it work.

However, to their credit, Scott did some asking around and provided the following response...

"I talked with the engineers this afternoon about a skid plate for your F800 GSA, and was told that there is an update to the existing F800 skid plate, to make it compatible with the GSA, in the works for our next build which should be in 3-4 months from now. Alternatively I am working on getting some images of the current skid plate installed on a GSA that I can send over to you so that you will be able to see where and how much the interference is and decide if you would like to make that work or not. I have to get the images and get them processed but I should be able to get those images over to you tomorrow."

1. For those who want to use the AltRider Skid Plate either make the modifications or wait until the update comes out.

2. It's nice when you can call a company and not get someone in India and when you ask a question and they say they will get back to you, they actually do.

Touratech had a similar response to the question are they making upper crash bars for the GSA, to which they said....NO. Hey, at least it was a response. With only 1000 GSAs released, they are spending their time making parts for the watercooled R1200GS and GSA.

Anyway, just FYI.
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #398
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
Touratech had a similar response to the question are they making upper crash bars for the GSA, to which they said....NO. Hey, at least it was a response. With only 1000 GSAs released, they are spending their time making parts for the watercooled R1200GS and GSA.

Anyway, just FYI.
I reckon if you spoke to a local engineer or fabricator they would bend/weld up a set for less than $500? just look at a design for the current GS and expand it to suit?
Old 07-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #399
Flyred
Who is John Galt?

Oddometer: 571
Big foot?

Who makes a side stand foot for the 8A? All the usual suspects that I have shopped at don't have them yet. Who does?
Flyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #400
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyred View Post
Who makes a side stand foot for the 8A? All the usual suspects that I have shopped at don't have them yet. Who does?
I would say its the same foot as the GS
Old 08-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #401
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
Touratech had a similar response to the question are they making upper crash bars for the GSA, to which they said....NO. Hey, at least it was a response.
When I asked TT about the Upper Crash bars for the 800GSA they told me that they were sure Germany was working on it as they anticipate lots of sales but would not say when they would be available or if they were really sure Germany was working on them. I'd hate dropping mine in the woods without them.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #402
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 2,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala View Post
When I asked TT about the Upper Crash bars for the 800GSA they told me that they were sure Germany was working on it as they anticipate lots of sales but would not say when they would be available or if they were really sure Germany was working on them. I'd hate dropping mine in the woods without them.
Well they didn't realize any for their aux tank.. Wouldn't surprise me if they wouldn't for this one

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #403
DasMatti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Damn

Does [windscreen] look even close ?

[...]
I had a look today.
It doesn't only look close, but very close.
I am sure you can fit the screen to the existing mountingbolts.
The only problem, that MIGHT occur is the mounting of the supportbar down low near the radiator. But even this could work out.

The partsnumbers of all the relevant parts are complet identical from 13GSA to 13GS to even 08GS and even 08 650 GS.

----------------------------
2009-2012 FRONT PANEL CARRIER Part# 46637694988
2013- FRONT PANEL CARRIER Part# 46637694988
ADV 2013- FRONT PANEL CARRIER Part# 46637694988

2009-2012 MIDDLE WINDSHIELD Part# 71607713833
2013- MIDDLE WINDSHIELD Part# 71607713833
----------------------------

Greetings.
DasMatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #404
BYKEGUY
Lets Roll

Oddometer: 9
Wicked F800gsadv

Ok no more lurking time for me to chime in, the side stand on the new 800 is to short, the bike has fallen over a couple times when parked off-road. The center stand however does work really well. I have over 1200 miles on mine 900 of it off-road. I put knobbies on it rite away handles great, I am just over 6ft tall and think the windshield could be a little taller, you get lots of wind noise. The two modes on the bike are great and make a big difference, you can not ride off road in street mode without some hesitation from the motor, and in enduro mode you can't get any good speed up.
BYKEGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #405
LakeBrain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYKEGUY View Post
Ok no more lurking time for me to chime in, the side stand on the new 800 is to short, the bike has fallen over a couple times when parked off-road. The center stand however does work really well. I have over 1200 miles on mine 900 of it off-road. I put knobbies on it rite away handles great, I am just over 6ft tall and think the windshield could be a little taller, you get lots of wind noise. The two modes on the bike are great and make a big difference, you can not ride off road in street mode without some hesitation from the motor, and in enduro mode you can't get any good speed up.
I know on the new water cooled boxers, there are more modes and you can shut off all modes and just run the bike without interference. Can you do the same with the 800gsa?
LakeBrain is offline   Reply With Quote