Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #406
Jhawkins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Yes, you can also disable the abs and traction control.

What did you mean by "can't get any good speed up" in enduro mode. I've got 2k miles on mine, haven't noticed.
Jhawkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #407
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawkins View Post
Yes, you can also disable the abs and traction control.

What did you mean by "can't get any good speed up" in enduro mode. I've got 2k miles on mine, haven't noticed.
I think he means Offroad there is normally wheel spin. The tc stops the wheel spin and slows the bike down ?

I think it really applies when climbing steep rocky hills where wheel spin is par for the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
rmhrc628 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #408
Jhawkins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Ah, ok. That makes sense. You do want to disable it before climbing huge loose stuff. I've never noticed it kicking in as long as you keep some momentum. It does allow more wheel spin than I thought it would (in enduro mode).

I feel the same way about the wind screen, allows lots of noise. Also, the side stand is pretty much unusable due to being to short. Maybe the suspension allows the bike to sit higher than a regular f800gs....either way I'm gonna have to modify mine or remove it.

This makes it sound like I'm complaining, but really it's just nitpicking. I'm absolutely loving my GSA, racking up the miles every chance I get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Jhawkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:37 AM   #409
motosaint
LTLYLTL!

Oddometer: 566
Looking goooood!

Took some time off from riding and looking to get back. Then I saw BMW did it: An adventure version of the F800GS! Something they should've done long ago.

I ride a Suzuki DR650 and love it. It has plenty of farkles including a 5 gallon tank and upgraded suspension. Got it from an ADV rider here. 50k miles and she's been nothing but great.

But even with the upgraded suspension, I wish it was beefier. The horsepower is good most of the time. But an extra 15HP or so would be REALLY nice. Even though I rode through Mexico on her, I would like something a little tougher for some rides I want to do.

I went to my local BMW dealer on a whim. I had some extra time and it was on my way home. The f800GSA was practically the first thing you see when you walk in the door. I tell ya, I think she's pretty. I sat on her and it felt very comfortable. I'm 5'8" and she seems even shorter than my DR. I'm not flat-footing it but totally fine. I think the rear tank guards should easily protect the gas tank. They feel seriously strong. And the bigger tank is SERIOUSLY great! It's shaped so that it has a sleek look to the bike. They don't bulge out in a strange way. The engine guards looked good. I have similar ones on my DR and they protect quite well. I went over the bike quite well.

For me, the F800GSA looks close to the perfect Adventure bike. Tougher with a lot more pluses to give it lots more abilities. Tubeless tires would be nice. But seriously, I've had like 2 flats in 50k miles. Less 20 - 30lbs would be nice. But the weight looks to be low, so it shouldn't be too bad. Certainly better than the 1200GSA... And a 70lb difference is huge after a certain weight. The 800GSA is going to be heavy enough to stand up fully loaded. Shaft drive would be nice but not with extra weight.

I demoed the first version of the f800GS when she first came out. I thought she was a fine bike but not very exciting. The Triumph 800XC felt a little funner. I'm demo'ing the F800GSA this morning and totally looking forward to it. Hopefully she'll have some more personality. She's grown up a bit. And yes I could get an older one and farkle her up.. And MAYBE save some money.. But it's just a hassle to go through all that for POSSIBLY 5% improvement. Okay, if you're doing 80mph in sand dunes fully loaded with panniers, I can see why. But that's 1% of us. If that.

Eventually I'll get a new bike. Someday. This demo will give me an idea if I should put her on my list. My DR is 80% of what I'd like for her to be. The BMW should easily cover that. The only question is: Is she fun to ride?

My Adventures

Trip through the American Northwest - Maybe - 2010
San Francisco to San Diego Quickly - 2010
My First Big Mexican Ride - 2009
Northern California for 4 Days - 2008

Current Ride
Suzuki 2002 - DR650 (Anna)

MSF BRC Graduate '07
motosaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #410
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawkins View Post
Ah, ok. That makes sense. You do want to disable it before climbing huge loose stuff. I've never noticed it kicking in as long as you keep some momentum. It does allow more wheel spin than I thought it would (in enduro mode).

I feel the same way about the wind screen, allows lots of noise. Also, the side stand is pretty much unusable due to being to short. Maybe the suspension allows the bike to sit higher than a regular f800gs....either way I'm gonna have to modify mine or remove it.

This makes it sound like I'm complaining, but really it's just nitpicking. I'm absolutely loving my GSA, racking up the miles every chance I get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Has anyone established if the suspension on the adventure 800 has heavier springs than Ord 800?
rmhrc628 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #411
motosaint
LTLYLTL!

Okay, so today I took a demo ride. I'm glad I did! It was about 45 minutes and gave me a decent overview of the bike. Lets start with the positives!

Positives
* Easy handling. Very neutral.
* Good seating position.
* Excellent ergonomics. Easy to reach hand controls.
* Easy to read clocks and displays.
* Good windscreen. Barely noticed the wind on my head and body.
* Very good clutch. Engaged very well and smoothly.
* Good engine. Very flexible.
* Seat felt comfy.
* Good seat height. I'm 5'8" with about a 30" inseam. The balls of my feet were easily planted on the floor.
* Excellent build quality. It feels very solid. Didn't see any pieces that looked like after-thoughts.
* Excellent engine and tank protection. They feel incredibly tough.
* Amazing brakes! Those double-disc Brembos are amazing!

Negatives
* Buzzy engine in Sport mode. Pegs, seat and bars buzzed in any gear. A little annoying. But if you going on a fast Sunday ride in Sport or in the dirt, you probably wouldn't notice much. In Comfort mode, The buzz is much less noticeable.
* Foot pegs still to narrow. Okay for street riding but way too narrow for dirt.
* Rider portion of seat not long enough. Well, ride back a bit on the saddle. Though I think tilting the bars forward would solve this.
* Lack of power ports. The sales rep and I only found one next to the ignition. IMO, there should be AT LEAST two up u and one on each side near the back of the bike.
* Funky gas gauge. Yes, it reads half-full until it gets to less than half! No big deal. Even with hard riding you l have over 100 miles to look for gas.
* No bash plate?
* You need a special tool to remove the top of the brake reservoir. Stupid, but how often do you need to deal with that?
* Wish 6th gear was taller. At 70mph the tach was around 4000rpm. Which I thought was a little high. If I still get decent gas mileage at that speed I'm cool with that. But the bike feels like its working harder than it needs too.

In short, I feel this is a pretty darn fantastic bike! I'm thinking it will cost about $500 to replace the pegs, add powerlets, bashplate, and possibly exchange the brake reservoir. I'd say this bike is 95% ready to trott the globe straight out of the showroom! If there is a great aftermarket exhaust that can cut weight by 10-15lbs. That would make the bike even greater! The torquey engine is flexible and motivating.

I think BMW really got this one right. Unless something totally mind-blowing comes out from Triumph or KTM of comparable size and use, the F800GSA is the king of the adventure middleweights!

My Adventures

Current Ride

MSF BRC Graduate '07
Old 08-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #412
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosaint View Post
Okay, so today I took a demo ride. I'm glad I did! It was about 45 minutes and gave me a decent overview of the bike. Lets start with the positives!

Positives
* Good seating position.
* Seat felt comfy.
* Good seat height. I'm 5'8" with about a 30" inseam. The balls of my feet were easily planted on the floor.
* Excellent build quality. It feels very solid. Didn't see any pieces that looked like after-thoughts.

Negatives
* Buzzy engine in Sport mode. Pegs, seat and bars buzzed in any gear. A little annoying. But if you going on a fast Sunday ride in Sport or in the dirt, you probably wouldn't notice much. In Comfort mode, The buzz is much less noticeable.
* Foot pegs still to narrow. Okay for street riding but way too narrow for dirt.
* Rider portion of seat not long enough. Well, ride back a bit on the saddle. Though I think tilting the bars forward would solve this.
* Lack of power ports. The sales rep and I only found one next to the ignition. IMO, there should be AT LEAST two up u and one on each side near the back of the bike.
* Funky gas gauge. Yes, it reads half-full until it gets to less than half! No big deal. Even with hard riding you l have over 100 miles to look for gas.
* No bash plate?
* You need a special tool to remove the top of the brake reservoir. Stupid, but how often do you need to deal with that?
* Wish 6th gear was taller. At 70mph the tach was around 4000rpm. Which I thought was a little high. If I still get decent gas mileage at that speed I'm cool with that. But the bike feels like its working harder than it needs too.

In short, I feel this is a pretty darn fantastic bike! I'm thinking it will cost about $500 to replace the pegs, add powerlets, bashplate, and possibly exchange the brake reservoir. I'd say this bike is 95% ready to trott the globe straight out of the showroom! If there is a great aftermarket exhaust that can cut weight by 10-15lbs. That would make the bike even greater! The torquey engine is flexible and motivating.

I think BMW really got this one right. Unless something totally mind-blowing comes out from Triumph or KTM of comparable size and use, the F800GSA is the king of the adventure middleweights!
my f650 twin had the single powerport as well, which you need to buy either BMW specific plugins, or an adaptor to fit a normal cigg lighter style connector ($45 from BMW). the fuel gauge is a pain but you get used to it, it basically reads full until you are about 30km from the reserve, so you revert to the trip meter anyway.. Its the way the float works, its impossible to have an accurate fuel sender with the shape of the under the seat tank.

The engines are great, not a full powerhouse but good for what the majority of people would do with it. So your saying the modes actually change the mapping of the engine for sport/off road? I thought it only changes the rear suspension.. interesting..

6th gear not tall enough with standard gearing? I wonder if they changed the 1st gear to be lower then? as I found it wasn't low enough for controlled engine braking down hill bits..

i would agree that overall its a great bike.. however for a middleweight, its on the heavy side.. compare price (22k wasnt it?) & wet weight 229kg to the KTM 1190 adv r 23,790 / 235kg and you have much more bike for the cost/weight.
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #413
motosaint
LTLYLTL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
my f650 twin had the single powerport as well, which you need to buy either BMW specific plugins, or an adaptor to fit a normal cigg lighter style connector ($45 from BMW). the fuel gauge is a pain but you get used to it, it basically reads full until you are about 30km from the reserve, so you revert to the trip meter anyway.. Its the way the float works, its impossible to have an accurate fuel sender with the shape of the under the seat tank.

The engines are great, not a full powerhouse but good for what the majority of people would do with it. So your saying the modes actually change the mapping of the engine for sport/off road? I thought it only changes the rear suspension.. interesting..

6th gear not tall enough with standard gearing? I wonder if they changed the 1st gear to be lower then? as I found it wasn't low enough for controlled engine braking down hill bits..

i would agree that overall its a great bike.. however for a middleweight, its on the heavy side.. compare price (22k wasnt it?) & wet weight 229kg to the KTM 1190 adv r 23,790 / 235kg and you have much more bike for the cost/weight.
I think the modes MUST change engine mapping. Not only was comfort mode less buzzy, but throttle response was less touchy. Engine braking was more relaxed too.

When I shifted to 6th gear, I was expecting a relaxing rev... Didn't feel that. My DR650 feels more relaxed at 70mph. With double the HP, the BMW should really hum at that speed and gear.

The KTM 1190 Adventure R is on my list. I just haven't rode it yet and haven't seen a real U.S. cost yet. There is only a 3lb difference in wet weight and I would only need to buy a rack for side cases to get it up to the same ADV level as the F800GSA. Even though fuel economy is less, I can totally live with a range of approximately 240 miles at a relaxed pace. The HP advantage of the KTM is pretty amazing! I just hope servicing is reasonable.

For an extra $700 w/racks, the KTM is going to be very tempting!

My Adventures

Current Ride

MSF BRC Graduate '07
Old 08-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #414
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I think the modes MUST change engine mapping. Not only was comfort mode less buzzy, but throttle response was less touchy. Engine braking was more relaxed too.

When I shifted to 6th gear, I was expecting a relaxing rev... Didn't feel that. My DR650 feels more relaxed at 70mph. With double the HP, the BMW should really hum at that speed and gear.

The KTM 1190 Adventure R is on my list. I just haven't rode it yet and haven't seen a real U.S. cost yet. There is only a 3lb difference in wet weight and I would only need to buy a rack for side cases to get it up to the same ADV level as the F800GSA. Even though fuel economy is less, I can totally live with a range of approximately 240 miles at a relaxed pace. The HP advantage of the KTM is pretty amazing! I just hope servicing is reasonable.

For an extra $700 w/racks, the KTM is going to be very tempting!
I'm not sure of the US price but it will probably be close to the f800gsa and less than the r1200gs..

Unless you want to run specific side cases, the KTM comes with side case mounts for KTM side cases..

Zega Pro pannier racks (stainless steel) are $220euro from touratech.. which looks like they will fit soft luggage as well as others..

I can tell you after having the 800, the ktm is another classification, the engine sound is mad, and i thought it would vibrate as the 800 did at certain speed (thinking the germans would have the smoothest engine around) but nope, its heaps smoother and the suspension is stiff and has a nice rebound, i forgot what good suspension was until i jumped on this
Old 08-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #415
Icy Roads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Sounds like you are coming over to the darkside

Quote:

Positives
* Good seating position.
* Seat felt comfy.

Negatives
* No bash plate?

Like all motorcycle decisions there are compromises to be made, it seems to me like you've fallen for the F800GSA and I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #416
PoodlePumper
Custom Title User

Oddometer: 1,171
Racing Red in Rome, GA

Hi all - picked up my F800 GSA in Racing Red today. Hooray!

PP
PoodlePumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #417
Flyred
Who is John Galt?

Oddometer: 678
Quote:

Positives
* Good seating position.
* Seat felt comfy.

Negatives
* No bash plate?

I just traded a 990 ADV for the 800GSA. Everything said above is pretty accurate. I needed cheaper maintenance and lower fuel burn. I wish 6th gear was taller or that it had a 7th gear. That's my biggest complaint. When I bought my 990 I felt it had too much HP and not enough range. The 8A solves those issues.
Flyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #418
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodlePumper View Post
Hi all - picked up my F800 GSA in Racing Red today. Hooray!

PP
How tall are you? You're dwarfing the 800!

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #419
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
I ride a Suzuki DR650 and love it. It has plenty of farkles including a 5 gallon tank and upgraded suspension. Got it from an ADV rider here. 50k miles and she's been nothing but great.

But even with the upgraded suspension, I wish it was beefier. The horsepower is good most of the time. But an extra 15HP or so would be REALLY nice. Even though I rode through Mexico on her, I would like something a little tougher for some rides I want to do.

For me, the F800GSA looks close to the perfect Adventure bike. Tougher with a lot more pluses to give it lots more abilities.........

Eventually I'll get a new bike. Someday. This demo will give me an idea if I should put her on my list. My DR is 80% of what I'd like for her to be. The BMW should easily cover that. The only question is: Is she fun to ride?

Seriously, as an owner of 2 DR650s and 1 F800GS, I can't see how the F8 is "tougher" than the DR. From an image perspective...well, yeah it "looks" the goods. The F8 engine is nice. Properly set up the DR engine is an old work horse that can deliver surprising results.

With the DR, the secret to making it into a real "do it all" weapon is not modifying the standard suspension...it's throwing it away and starting from scratch. Think big. It's cheap and easy to do. Probably on par with modifying the standard setup.

Procycle do some very good kits for big boring the DR, that'll give you your 15hp, and a ton of torque to boot.

I have one DR set up as a light weight (pardon the pun - it's all relative) "Adventure tourer" and one as a trail bike. The BMW is set up for 2 up trail riding.

Each one built to maximise it's intended purpose. It works. I couldn't do all of it on one bike. Trying to solo trail ride something that's 220+kg with racks and crap hanging off it would just give me the shits. Likewise, trying to pillion on the trail version DR would be painful.

Horses for courses.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #420
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Seriously, as an owner of 2 DR650s and 1 F800GS, I can't see how the F8 is "tougher" than the DR. From an image perspective...well, yeah it "looks" the goods. The F8 engine is nice. Properly set up the DR engine is an old work horse that can deliver surprising results.
With the DR, the secret to making it into a real "do it all" weapon is not modifying the standard suspension...it's throwing it away and starting from scratch. Think big. It's cheap and easy to do. Probably on par with modifying the standard setup.
Procycle do some very good kits for big boring the DR, that'll give you your 15hp, and a ton of torque to boot.
I have one DR set up as a light weight (pardon the pun - it's all relative) "Adventure tourer" and one as a trail bike. The BMW is set up for 2 up trail riding.
Each one built to maximise it's intended purpose. It works. I couldn't do all of it on one bike. Trying to solo trail ride something that's 220+kg with racks and crap hanging off it would just give me the shits. Likewise, trying to pillion on the trail version DR would be painful.
Horses for courses.
Sounds like you're way too specific with your bike setup hehe ;)

Why would you not use the 'light adventurer DR' to replace your 'trail riding DR'? I mean the bars and stuff on it double up as crash bars.. ?

comparing the DR to a f800 is like comparing a Landcruiser to to LR discovery.. sure the landcruiser will get you there reliably, but you will enjoy the creature comforts in the disco..