7seas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #497
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclekarma View Post
Hi MplsMoto
I'm wondering why you said the TT risers didn't work, as I'd thought about ordering some

"Wunderlich 20mm bar riser (Touratech risers didn't work)"
Dont bother with touratech or swmototech or any brand like thats spacers.. you are set to one size..

I ordered a set from the UK of adjustable ones with spacers for 20-25-30-35mm for about $50aud ($47usd) delivered off ebay.. comes with different bolts and everything so you dont need to be bike specific, just measure your handlebars with a vernier guage to see what thickness they are, they will either be 22mm or 28mm + or - .3mm

I had swmotech's on my ktm at 30mm and my arms felt weird when i was sitting through traffic, when the adjustables and love them, set at 25mm, if im going full stick on long days standing, ill switch to the 35mm (which i carry in my toolbag)..

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #498
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
I'll just keep my 650GS.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #499
Aquafire
RMSR

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baiazid View Post
...Does anybody knows about if they fixed vibrations that occurs around 5000rpm?
Vibes are still there. You always know when passing through about 4500 RPM's; all bikes have their quirks, this is an "F800 thing".
Old 11-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #500
MplsMoto
Wheels

Oddometer: 129
This bike is all about compromise. It doesn't do anything particularly well, but it does everything.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #501
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
I wouldnt say it doesnt do anything well, It depends on how you treat it.. treat it like a dirt bike and you will find it will get through most of what a dirt bike will get through.. Might take a little more effort but it will do it.

in terms of off road, it does it better than a tiger xc.. but then the tiger does on road better..
Its just a bike thats built to take on an adventure.. wherever that adventure may take you, you will know soon enough if you have picked the right bike for the adventure.. :)

as far as vibes from the engine.. its smooth enough, it aint an electric ;)

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #502
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Fork springs

I am having a bit of trouble finding heavier springs for my '13 F800 GS and thought i'd check out the adventure thread to see if any of you guys have swapped springs in favor of something for a 200lb+ rider no gear or if the springs that come stock on your bikes are setup proper out of the gate. I'm about to have a local suspension guy pull the springs/measure and get some that fit my weight made up seeing as we can't find any off the shelf from the major players. New cartridges are out of my price range right now so thanks for any ideas.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #503
MplsMoto
Wheels

I probably should have phrased that a bit different. I've spent the last 10 days riding mine on everything from twisty asphalt to deep gravel to double track whoops - it does all of these things well - but none of them as well as a bike that's specific to those tasks. It does many things well, it just doesn't stand out on any one thing.

It's a great all around bike that will leave you slightly disappointed if you think it's going to do all of these things really well. Like I said, it's a compromise bike that can do everything.

As for the shock issue, if you don't want to upgrade the shock you're only choice is to increase the preload. You should be fine since you're one up with no load. I'd go 12 or 13 turns for your weight. As long as you're not thumping out you're not going to hurt anything, just make sure to run it in Sport mode if you have ESC. What the bike really lacks is rebound control, but I'm finding that the ESC is doing an adequate job of controlling rebound - no second bounce on big hits for me. It's not a dirt bike, but it handles hits pretty good. Still, I'd like to see a better rear shock out of the box on this thing.

MplsMoto screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 11:00 PM
MplsMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #504
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsMoto View Post

As for the shock issue, if you don't want to upgrade the shock you're only choice is to increase the preload. You should be fine since you're one up with no load. I'd go 12 or 13 turns for your weight. As long as you're not thumping out you're not going to hurt anything, just make sure to run it in Sport mode if you have ESC. What the bike really lacks is rebound control, but I'm finding that the ESC is doing an adequate job of controlling rebound - no second bounce on big hits for me. It's not a dirt bike, but it handles hits pretty good. Still, I'd like to see a better rear shock out of the box on this thing.
I have a new shock with rebound/compression and a spring that will carry me in the mail. I ride 80/20 dirt to street and the stock shock is worthless with max preload 1 up no bags
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #505
Baiazid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
I got it

1457673_548577238568470_1739537442_n by Baiazid, on Flickr
Baiazid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #506
itsybitsyspidy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Congrats! Hope you're enjoying your new ride as much as I am :)
itsybitsyspidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:28 AM   #507
Baiazid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Thing is ... I need new bash plate. The one provided is made from TOFU Cheese

Do you know if bash plate from F800GS will fit F800GSA?
Baiazid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #508
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,601
Quote:

Congrats, excellent bike, I love mine. I'm happy to see you picked the faster Sand Rover paint scheme (like mine)!

Old 11-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #509
MplsMoto
Wheels

The BMW aluminum plate is actually pretty good and low cost. I bought the Alt Rider plate and it fits, but comes up short as it doesn't cover the catalytic converter.

This one is getting a good review: http://itsallaboutthebike.com/produc...r-bmw-f800-gs/

Riders on the forum seem to like this one: http://www.motooverland.com/index_files/Page673.htm

I'd recommend getting the best coverage possible if you're riding gravel and rocks, I'm on a trip right now and I'm getting lots of hits on my pipes with the AltRider plate.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #510
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Thing is ... I need new bash plate. The one provided is made from TOFU Cheese

Do you know if bash plate from F800GS will fit F800GSA?
I just installed a Black Dog Cycle Works Skid Plate on my GSA. Super easy to install, comes off with just two bolts, covers everything. Here are some photos...

It's very robust. There are others out there that are similar...I liked the fact that it's made in the USA.

Mark
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote