User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #31
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,740
Could you clarify smth to me?

How come you took the shaft out in 700kms? Did you have wp failure? This shaft doesn't look like leaking?
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #32
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,241
Many here tried to offer help and guidance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
So far you are the only one who has talked anything sensible on this thread, respect your way.
In spite of your insults, you've been offered exactly what you had asked for... which was how to handle a situation between a vendor who manufactured a product that you did not purchase, claim you had contacted said manufacture about a system failure and that the product appeared to be faulty. You for some reason expected manufacture to honor your request for an explanation why his product looked faulty. And yet you don't understand the said manufacturer has no obligation to offer you a guess as to what you are talking about, as he has no history of the condition of the bike at the time of the product's installation and whether the part was installed properly, maintained properly and by whom was responsible for the work, the removal and the facts along the way.

You claim you emailed the manufacturer multiple times and had at least one phone conversation with them. And you were not able to obtain the proper information in at least 3 communications with this manufacturer.

Then you post a thread asking a riding community what you should do about getting a reply from a manufacturer without actually informing everyone that you didn't buy the product directly, didn't install it directly and didn't actually know what the conditions were within the motor prior to your ownership.

And when this community took alot of personal time attempting to decipher your actual situation... and explain to you that at this point your problem is not so much with the manufacturer as with the condition of the bike when you purchased it secondhand. And then you start throwing insults at people who have merely tried to offer you helpful advice to move on with a different perspective and stop trashing a manufacturer who has no obligation what so ever to you, and that there probably is no answer he could give you other then the part was possible installed incorrectly or was placed under undue duress.

None of us on in this community, nor the manufacturer, have any binding obligation to offer you opinions, help, advice, technical observations. If so, then we could understand you being upset if there was a breach of verbal or written contract.

However, since we don't own you a damn thing and all here took time to assess your situation and try to steer you into an enlightened path... you should know when to show appreciation. And if you reach a point where you seem to keep getting the cold shoulder... well then as CrazyBrit well put it... you should start looking from within.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:21 AM   #33
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,740
Another thing to consider.

I suggest you keep your powder dry, since CJ could have an accident or smth. It really is surprising he hasn't chim in yet!
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #34
950TRANSALP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Hey Andi

Sorry you have such bad luck with your bikes !

The manufacturer can't tell how his part has been installed .
It looks like the previous owner was quite dodgy , mechanically challenged to say the least !
I have three old shafts 2 from my old 950 and one from the orange one .
They all still are silver but polished where the seal wears .
That had to be installed wrong or torched somehow .

CJ has always returned my calls , and was very helpful , he must be on a road trip of some sort .

Keith in Jackson Wy.
Hey Ellen hope you have healed all up !
Old 04-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #35
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,784
CJ is trying to get moved into a new location. Apparently it's been raining pretty hard and it's hard to move very heavy machining components in the rain. He posted as such on his website.

That being said I agree with 950Transalp: I don't think you should have a two-toned waterpump shaft. The groove doesn't look big enough to cause a seal failure IMO but if it has been heated/cooled enough to change colors it might have damaged the seal enough that way.

Just throwing out ideas. Better mechanics feel free to shoot them down.

On a side note: I had a street bike one time that was crashing a lot on the racetrack. It got quite expensive. I finally exorcised the demons with a gallon of distilled water touched with a bit of Water Wetter. Might I recommend the same with your SE. I understand you've had a lot of problems with it, and you may have had this WP installed by someone who hadn't done it a lot. Who knows.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska

Katoom119 screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 08:00 AM
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #36
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,523
Quote:
Are you dumb or what???

Not blaming CJ just wanted a fucking answer and after 4 months of no response I bring it up here, not unreasonable.
No, sorry, your sense that you are entitled to an explanation for the failure of a part that you didn't buy and didn't install is NOT reasonable.

As DesertSurfer said, you have no business relationship with CJ (at least regarding this failed part). CJ has no obligation to start muddling through the tea-leaves of what sounds like a poorly maintained bike trying to figure out what went wrong with the previous owners install.

If you had purchased the part from CJ and installed it yourself, I'd feel differently, but you didn't, so I don't.

If you want to get technical answers from inmates here; start a new thread titled "any ideas what happened with this water pump shaft" (so that people will see it), explain from the outset that it was installed by previous owner and try to be a lot less obnoxious.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #37
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
In spite of your insults, you've been offered exactly what you had asked for... which was how to handle a situation between a vendor who manufactured a product that you did not purchase, claim you had contacted said manufacture about a system failure and that the product appeared to be faulty. You for some reason expected manufacture to honor your request for an explanation why his product looked faulty. And yet you don't understand the said manufacturer has no obligation to offer you a guess as to what you are talking about, as he has no history of the condition of the bike at the time of the product's installation and whether the part was installed properly, maintained properly and by whom was responsible for the work, the removal and the facts along the way.

You claim you emailed the manufacturer multiple times and had at least one phone conversation with them. And you were not able to obtain the proper information in at least 3 communications with this manufacturer.

Then you post a thread asking a riding community what you should do about getting a reply from a manufacturer without actually informing everyone that you didn't buy the product directly, didn't install it directly and didn't actually know what the conditions were within the motor prior to your ownership.

And when this community took alot of personal time attempting to decipher your actual situation... and explain to you that at this point your problem is not so much with the manufacturer as with the condition of the bike when you purchased it secondhand. And then you start throwing insults at people who have merely tried to offer you helpful advice to move on with a different perspective and stop trashing a manufacturer who has no obligation what so ever to you, and that there probably is no answer he could give you other then the part was possible installed incorrectly or was placed under undue duress.

None of us on in this community, nor the manufacturer, have any binding obligation to offer you opinions, help, advice, technical observations. If so, then we could understand you being upset if there was a breach of verbal or written contract.

However, since we don't own you a damn thing and all here took time to assess your situation and try to steer you into an enlightened path... you should know when to show appreciation. And if you reach a point where you seem to keep getting the cold shoulder... well then as CrazyBrit well put it... you should start looking from within.
I have tried and tried with contact thus I am sick of it, if I had manufactured something and it failed like that to a second party I would want to know a probable likely cause so I dont' think a verbal is wrong, we differ on that.

Do you want me to post up the emails ? and the out of office reply from CJ some three months ago>, I am not into hanging out dirty laundry and for you accurate information it was CJ who rang me on a Sunday night which I give him cred for then radio silence????.

While he is NOT obliged wouldn't it be in his interest to know too ..... maybe not?

Take your bulldog approach and peg it back too then everyone will see more sense, it is still very personal to me/us getting fucked over by the PO then having to spend a fortune then a further fortune, again not blaming CJ so get off that cart but all I ask is a probable cause of failure and you don't need to go off on a "protect CJ" tangent.

Seems anyone can question manufacturers and components except CJ's on here, I would still welcome CJ to chime in, again in the wider interests of failure whether it be PO, the shop, manufacturing fault or what?
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #38
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
How come you took the shaft out in 700kms? Did you have wp failure? This shaft doesn't look like leaking?
Cheers.
It was leaking badly causing filter collapse and timing chain rattles.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #39
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
I suggest you keep your powder dry, since CJ could have an accident or smth. It really is surprising he hasn't chim in yet!
Cheers.
My powder has been dry for 4 months now....
Old 04-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #40
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 950TRANSALP View Post
Sorry you have such bad luck with your bikes !

The manufacturer can't tell how his part has been installed .
It looks like the previous owner was quite dodgy , mechanically challenged to say the least !
I have three old shafts 2 from my old 950 and one from the orange one .
They all still are silver but polished where the seal wears .
That had to be installed wrong or torched somehow .

CJ has always returned my calls , and was very helpful , he must be on a road trip of some sort .

Keith in Jackson Wy.
Hey Ellen hope you have healed all up !
Heya Keith, great to hear from you, yeah wouldn't mind having a better run, got about $1400 worth of stuff at Julios in Antigua which will hopefully conclude the mass shit.

Yeap if it can be concluded it was installed wrong or made wrong or what is all I want to know and*many others on here will benefit from that to as it might point out some short comings etc and it may not even be a CJ manufacturing problem but we won't know unless he has some input which is all I have been asking for but getting it passed the CJ protectors union on here is difficult.

Despite what some my think I don't hate CJ or his stuff but his follow up at least for me has been abismal which does make me standoffish now.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #41
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
CJ is trying to get moved into a new location. Apparently it's been raining pretty hard and it's hard to move very heavy machining components in the rain. He posted as such on his website.

That being said I agree with 950Transalp: I don't think you should have a two-toned waterpump shaft. The groove doesn't look big enough to cause a seal failure IMO but if it has been heated/cooled enough to change colors it might have damaged the seal enough that way.

Just throwing out ideas. Better mechanics feel free to shoot them down.

On a side note: I had a street bike one time that was crashing a lot on the racetrack. It got quite expensive. I finally exorcised the demons with a gallon of distilled water touched with a bit of Water Wetter. Might I recommend the same with your SE. I understand you've had a lot of problems with it, and you may have had this WP installed by someone who hadn't done it a lot. Who knows.
Yeap cool he is shifting but this has been going on long prior.

Does anyone else have a photo of a CJ shaft we can compare?, I looked at the discolouration and thought it was odd but I didn't make it and had not seen one prior so was only guessing and I am still at that point.

We have a new WP from KTM installed properly at Zen Motorcycle in Phoenix so crossing fingers this will do some distance but I am interested to know about the water weter etc as the SE's run hot and in Central America it spends a lot of time on 5 bars.

Next oil change we will look at the 10-60 full syn as the 60 wt oil would be good in the heat.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #42
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
No, sorry, your sense that you are entitled to an explanation for the failure of a part that you didn't buy and didn't install is NOT reasonable.

As DesertSurfer said, you have no business relationship with CJ (at least regarding this failed part). CJ has no obligation to start muddling through the tea-leaves of what sounds like a poorly maintained bike trying to figure out what went wrong with the previous owners install.

If you had purchased the part from CJ and installed it yourself, I'd feel differently, but you didn't, so I don't.

If you want to get technical answers from inmates here; start a new thread titled "any ideas what happened with this water pump shaft" (so that people will see it), explain from the outset that it was installed by previous owner and try to be a lot less obnoxious.
No we didn't install them, we bought the bike with LOTS of CJ stuff and as I have already said it was a big drawcard thus I thought highly of his stuff but just because we didn't install them it does not mean has has to go dark on us??? so yeap ...WOW thanks for wanting to buy a bike for wanting his parts/gear...great!!!

It is not about obligation it is about reason and I still don't understand why he has no interest to see what caused it be it manufacturing or installation or what...not like is even going to cost him anything other than two minutes which raises another question of why did he ring in the first instance then, email then, we sent in the shaft had one email then radio silence???

I only get obnoxious when "helpful" replies shoot at me for questioning a part and a reasonable answer, don't shoot at me and you will find I am a reasonable dude just trying to enjoy my bike and understand its failures, modifications, good shit and all.

So CJ, here is all the laundry out now, feel free to chime in and give your honest and professional opinion as to cause of failure, this is NOT just for me but for any potential WP failure replacement (CJ/KTM or others?) in the future for any inmate who may be interested in avoiding the shit we have gone through.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #43
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 768
pics

Here some pics of a unused CJ shaft
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #44
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Hmmmmm, ordered a part from CJ (fuel fill) for my 690 on the 20th knowing he was moving so I had no expectations of seeing it until next week but it was mailed out on the 22nd and arrived on the 24th.

Just saying.................
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #45
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,621
Quote:
My powder has been dry for 4 months now....
I don’t see anyone defending CJ, just a balanced approach to the situation. Again you seem devoid of appreciating help and advice from inmates, of course people don’t always agree but gnawing on the bone is just that.

Who gives a fook who made the WP shaft. It failed, and all this shit because you’ve not looking for compensation cos CJ offers a 3 year 30K guarantee, come on …who are you really trying to kid.

The shaft hasn’t over heated, it was case hardened during manufacture or home treatment. Which incidentally looks like an old shaft heated and dipped, not like the updated shafts from KTM, you got the receipt?

If the bearings were dry and temperature rose to the degree of blueing the metal the rubber seal would be the first thing to die. I’m not a metallurgist, PM Benz.. no, actually don’t bother wasting his time for your grace.

I have an idea why the shaft/seal failed….solution, change it, stop whinging and move on.

Hey, its everyone else right?