ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #46
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,811
Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
the SE's run hot and in Central America it spends a lot of time on 5 bars.

Next oil change we will look at the 10-60 full syn as the 60 wt oil would be good in the heat.
Why is it the general consensus SEs run hotter than Adv? The motor in Adv bikes is more restricted as far as radiating heat is concerned.
My personal opinion is the axle failure at 700kms is causing concern. The discoloring is also very strange. Did you notice the seal having signs of burning? From photos in here, I have the impression the seal is sealing at two points, and neither looks to have caused the usual groove. So high temp could have been the reason of failure. But why that high temp? Maybe the bearings were not changed together with the axle, thus raising the temp?
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #47
Vince
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
I know a bloke who fitted 3 sets of bloody expensive pistons one after the other that all failed except the last set,he found the problem eventually.Thats probably why I would like to know what happened to that shaft or at least have a conversation about it.BTW the reason why the pistons melted was a cavity in the alloy barrel behind the steel sleeve.All that was nice and snug at home,not halfway through a big trip on the other side of the planet.Andy your getting a lot of Psychoanalyse for free and minim shaft failure Analise.Who wouldn't want more info as to why its got that hot.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #48
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Lack of cooling fluid, do to improper burping, resulting in increase friction/heat, resulting in scoring.

Sounds like a plausible hypothetical theory to a past problem that no one witnessed.
2010 Ducati 1198S

DuctTape screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 03:40 PM
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #49
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 810
5 bars

We have a new WP from KTM installed properly at Zen Motorcycle in Phoenix so crossing fingers this will do some distance but I am interested to know about the water weter etc as the SE's run hot and in Central America it spends a lot of time on 5 bars.

I DONT THINK 5 BARS IS HOT,7 BARS WOULD BE HOT. 5 IS FAIRLY NORMAL
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #50
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
I don’t see anyone defending CJ, just a balanced approach to the situation. Again you seem devoid of appreciating help and advice from inmates, of course people don’t always agree but gnawing on the bone is just that.

Who gives a fook who made the WP shaft. It failed, and all this shit because you’ve not looking for compensation cos CJ offers a 3 year 30K guarantee, come on …who are you really trying to kid.

The shaft hasn’t over heated, it was case hardened during manufacture or home treatment. Which incidentally looks like an old shaft heated and dipped, not like the updated shafts from KTM, you got the receipt?

If the bearings were dry and temperature rose to the degree of blueing the metal the rubber seal would be the first thing to die. I’m not a metallurgist, PM Benz.. no, actually don’t bother wasting his time for your grace.

I have an idea why the shaft/seal failed….solution, change it, stop whinging and move on.

Hey, its everyone else right?
Negative good on ya, say what you want but I want nothing but an answer, take it or leave it, too much for you then don't reply.

We have put a KTM shaft in with a receipt and all, going well so no complaints.

Given you are not a metalurgist your time on this thread is worthless and with your replies are unwelcomed and not even constructive.

I am not whining either, got an issue and want it sorted like many on this board and that makes it a great place, if you don't like my thread go annoy someone else.

And no it is not everyone else, just one shaft issue so don't try and blow it up.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #51
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
Why is it the general consensus SEs run hotter than Adv? The motor in Adv bikes is more restricted as far as radiating heat is concerned.
My personal opinion is the axle failure at 700kms is causing concern. The discoloring is also very strange. Did you notice the seal having signs of burning? From photos in here, I have the impression the seal is sealing at two points, and neither looks to have caused the usual groove. So high temp could have been the reason of failure. But why that high temp? Maybe the bearings were not changed together with the axle, thus raising the temp?
How many bars do the ADV run at?

We find 5 quite a bit particularly when 30 deg plus outside.

The seal looked ok as where the bearings but it was leaking for sure as it stuffed the filter so yeap agree it is unusual thus this thread.

Either way we (Zen) rekitted it entirely
Old 04-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #52
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Lack of cooling fluid, due to improper burping, resulting in increase friction/heat, resulting in scoring.

Sounds like a plausible hypothetical theory to a past problem that no one witnessed.
Possible too, don't know if it was run dry or not previously, interesting tho the bearings were not in bad shape, no rumbling or notchesness either, seal didn't even look burnt.

Certainly it has the heat colouring tho.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #53
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsslober View Post
I DONT THINK 5 BARS IS HOT,7 BARS WOULD BE HOT. 5 IS FAIRLY NORMAL
That is nice to hear, always keep an eye on it and prefer to see 4 bars.

She got to 6 bars once when we got stuck in traffic at 40 deg C, now I turn the headlight off as the fans speed increases tremendously with the extra power not going to the lighting.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:40 AM   #54
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,120
Quote:
How many bars do the ADV run at?

We find 5 quite a bit particularly when 30 deg plus outside.
Here's the manufactures owners manual, that comes with the bike.

http://www.ktm950.info/library/asset...s%20Manual.pdf

Page 12 is the bit you need.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #55
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
Here's the manufactures owners manual, that comes with the bike.

http://www.ktm950.info/library/asset...s%20Manual.pdf

Page 12 is the bit you need.
Yeap thanks for that, I have it on PDF rather than the book to carry (and we didn't get a book anyway)

100 Deg C is still getting up there and doesn't leave much in reserve but seems that 5 bars is not an issue.

How do all the fullas in AZ get on with the blistering heat?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #56
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 810
Az

They just ride faster
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #57
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,530
Since it is difficult to know how the shaft and seal was installed, failure of the sealing surface will be very difficult to resolve.

I have replaced at least three shaft/seals that were improperly installed by someone else and have one more in the shop right now with the same issue (leaking coolant).

I have been using the CJD shafts in the past 5 pump rebuilds and build quality, from a visual comparison, appears to be better than the OEM KTM 07-08 990 shafts that I would be using in the 950.

It is VERY EASY to fail the seal on installation if not properly lubricated and a temparary install sleeve is not used, also mis-alignment of the seal on the way into the cover is easy to do as well unless a press is used to apply controlled vertical pressure. I made a special tool just for pressing in the seal to resolve some of the mis-alignment problem.

I have not seen "casting sand" directly fail a shaft/seal, or at least based upon my opinion it has not been directly related. I have seen on some of the early shaft/seal bikes (04) with the non-coated shaft and red seal the area behind the pump impeller is packed full of grey putty like substance. The seal/shaft WAS NOT leaking.... but was being replaced as a preventative measure.

Being a small business guy working 60+ hours a week, I understand all of the limits of my time and availability to answer calls and effectively respond to email. I miss calls and forget about getting things done sometimes, mostly because I am not doing a good job of keeping track of my ToDo tasks. My general rule of thumb for voice calls, if I can't get to it and the customer does not leave a message, I might call them back, but will do my best to call back messages left. Emails are usually easier for me to manage, but still miss some conversations. These are the limits of ADVmachines, not CJD, only a offer of perspective, and not a defense of the customer service quality that you are describing.

I have been working B2B with CJ since about 2008 and have had good experience with interactions with occasional outages for trips etc., I hope your experience improves.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #58
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsslober View Post
They just ride faster
They would have too!! .. .especially following Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
Since it is difficult to know how the shaft and seal was installed, failure of the sealing surface will be very difficult to resolve.

I have replaced at least three shaft/seals that were improperly installed by someone else and have one more in the shop right now with the same issue (leaking coolant).

I have been using the CJD shafts in the past 5 pump rebuilds and build quality, from a visual comparison, appears to be better than the OEM KTM 07-08 990 shafts that I would be using in the 950.

It is VERY EASY to fail the seal on installation if not properly lubricated and a temparary install sleeve is not used, also mis-alignment of the seal on the way into the cover is easy to do as well unless a press is used to apply controlled vertical pressure. I made a special tool just for pressing in the seal to resolve some of the mis-alignment problem.

I have not seen "casting sand" directly fail a shaft/seal, or at least based upon my opinion it has not been directly related. I have seen on some of the early shaft/seal bikes (04) with the non-coated shaft and red seal the area behind the pump impeller is packed full of grey putty like substance. The seal/shaft WAS NOT leaking.... but was being replaced as a preventative measure.

Being a small business guy working 60+ hours a week, I understand all of the limits of my time and availability to answer calls and effectively respond to email. I miss calls and forget about getting things done sometimes, mostly because I am not doing a good job of keeping track of my ToDo tasks. My general rule of thumb for voice calls, if I can't get to it and the customer does not leave a message, I might call them back, but will do my best to call back messages left. Emails are usually easier for me to manage, but still miss some conversations. These are the limits of ADVmachines, not CJD, only a offer of perspective, and not a defense of the customer service quality that you are describing.

I have been working B2B with CJ since about 2008 and have had good experience with interactions with occasional outages for trips etc., I hope your experience improves.
Great input thanks, I sent CJ a polite email via ADV inviting him to have some input soas others might avoid the crap we have gone through, avoid in any way with any shaft not just CJ's to be straight about it.

I hope for others sake he takes the opportunity to bring info to the table.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #59
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,652
I am with the other posters that have nothing but good things to say about CJ. It's nice to be able to call CJ himself and chat with him. I'm sure if you tried that tack, he would be more than happy to talk with you.

Quote:

I hope for others sake he takes the opportunity to bring info to the table.

You haven't said anything to deter me from dealing with CJ. Good luck!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #60
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
I am with the other posters that have nothing but good things to say about CJ. It's nice to be able to call CJ himself and chat with him. I'm sure if you tried that tack, he would be more than happy to talk with you.

You haven't said anything to deter me from dealing with CJ. Good luck!
Cool with that, calling him from Guatemala is not easy and FFS what is wrong with email? that works everywhere else.

I am not trying to deter anyone but I wouldn't mind your service or at least an answer too, what is wrong with that?

If other inmates get a probable cause of failure even if from bad fitting then people have learned something but radio silence????? WTF

I am sure someone will have pointed this thread out to CJ so come on CJ pipe up and give us your take .. it really is that simple.