hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,886
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
cameron110 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Here are some of the photos from yesterday's teardown, I'll get the sad ones out of the way first

but this looks good and un-hacked

Not sure if this was a factory bar but the construction is interesting

One more view of the harness

The most amusing part of the day is where the two wrist pin retainers leapt to when removed

it wouldn't have been nearly as funny if they had made it down the holes

I'll get a closer look at those bores next week and have a peak at the transmission and final drive as well. In the mean time the frame and harness are in the basement for further investigation and the start of planning for a new set up.
cameron110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #18
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 753
What I don't understand is why does someone elses pile of parts look so much more attractive than what we already have?
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #19
cameron110 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have been remiss in posting updates, sorry...

A bit more tear-down has been completed the crank is out and looks good the cylinder bores not so much. I have forgotten to take my camera a couple times, but I'll get some shots up before too long. Looking at the price of going up a size with the pistons and rings I'm not sure that is the best choice. There are some possibilities lurking out there in the darkness, 800cc nikasil or 1000 cc iron. I am going to try make a decision and get a parts order together next week for the various consumables so that some basic engine building can start.

Also on the to do list is to build a cabinet for the soda blaster so I can finish getting the flat black paint and the rest of the 30 years of grime off the block.

I've also been looking at possibilities for building a wiring harness. A friend suggested the idea of building it off an arduino to control everything centrally like a modern bike. I did some hunting around on the web this evening and at first glance it looks like it could work and would be pretty slick. Any of you FF ever played with arduino boards?
Old 05-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #20
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron110 View Post
I've also been looking at possibilities for building a wiring harness. A friend suggested the idea of building it off an arduino to control everything centrally like a modern bike. I did some hunting around on the web this evening and at first glance it looks like it could work and would be pretty slick. Any of you FF ever played with arduino boards?
I play with them at work every day. They are great but I wouldn't think they are robust enough for the road.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:54 AM   #21
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,440
Quote:
This is an old /5. More in line with a Ouija board...

--Bill
Old 05-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #22
garthg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
LOVE your shop and tools.

Is this a professional work space, or just for hobby?

Also, with regard to wiring harness, I rebuilt a /5, and used a new factory harness. I found that it went in an wired up super easy. It looks like your bike was maintained by a TV repairman from the vacuum tube era.

Looks like fun.
"The motorcyle is a constant challenge to the man; a challenge to experience the adventure of man's command over the machine--directly, unadulterated. Over and over again, wind, weather and road must be conquered and mastered anew.
For this, the machine--"
garthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #23
cameron110 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kt-88 View Post
I play with them at work every day. They are great but I wouldn't think they are robust enough for the road.
What do you think the durability issues would be, vibration, Temp, voltage, something I'm not thinking of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthg View Post
LOVE your shop and tools.

Is this a professional work space, or just for hobby?

Also, with regard to wiring harness, I rebuilt a /5, and used a new factory harness... ...It looks like your bike was maintained by a TV repairman from the vacuum tube era.
It is a professional work space that I have access to on occasion, and I love it too. My personal garage got downsized greatly when I moved last year so it is great to have found another place with some room to work.

I am pretty set on building up a custom harness in part because I want to use it as an exercise to expand my knowledge about vehicle electrical systems, it is just a matter of exactly how I choose to build it.

and yes the existing harness in very entertaining, I have it down on the bench in my basement for further dissection in the near future.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #24
Kt-88
I like everything.

We don't have great success with the solder joints and vibration.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #25
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,276
This is the OEM wiring harness sold by max BMW for $65.12. They have been very popular of late but most think the price will go way up when the current supply runs out and they have to make another run;

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:40 AM   #26
garthg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Interesting electrical work

Quote:

and yes the existing harness in very entertaining, I have it down on the bench in my basement for further dissection in the near future.

Yes. Definitely homemade, but professionally done.
"The motorcyle is a constant challenge to the man; a challenge to experience the adventure of man's command over the machine--directly, unadulterated. Over and over again, wind, weather and road must be conquered and mastered anew.
For this, the machine--"
garthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #27
cameron110 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

the last two weeks have been a been mostly taken up by work but progress hasn't halted either. Although admittedly a fair bit of time has been taken up (read wasted) trolling through for build ideas. I'm on page 41 of 45 looking though Lets see the Airhead Scramblers

I've stumbled on a couple cool vimeo videos which reminded me we all have 99 problems

TVC from SAGS on Vimeo.

This one makes me want to take a week or eight off and hit the road.

LONG LIVE THE KINGS - Short film documentary - from SAGS on Vimeo.

oh and I had more than my share of pints in the last two weeks too. thanks to those who shared them with me whether you knew why or not

getting back on topic this will be heading to the machinist soon to get the portals enlarged a bit to accept some 800cc nikasil jugs

the heads spent some time seeing what it feels like to be a turkey

50/50 pinesol and water in the oven at 190 for a few hours and 43 years of grime just wiped right off.

last but not least a bottle of pinesol a bottle of tepranillo and a few hours at the kitchen table the last couple nights found the carbs to be not just serviceable but in surprisingly great shape.

not a stripped thread of buggered screw head in the the whole lot, the only casualties of time were a couple split washers.

cameron110 screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 06:33 PM
Old 05-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #28
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Beautiful job!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #29
Kt-88
I like everything.

Awesome. Looking forward to it!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #30
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,577
Quote:
Here are some of the photos from yesterday's teardown, I'll get the sad ones out of the way first

but this looks good and un-hacked

Not sure if this was a factory bar but the construction is interesting

One more view of the harness

The most amusing part of the day is where the two wrist pin retainers leapt to when removed

it wouldn't have been nearly as funny if they had made it down the holes

I'll get a closer look at those bores next week and have a peak at the transmission and final drive as well. In the mean time the frame and harness are in the basement for further investigation and the start of planning for a new set up.
Wrist pin retainers are never re-used. Toss the old ones now to avoid mix up.

The size of the spigots in the block limit what you can do in larger jugs. I have run 900 jugs in a 75/5 block. Some say it's a no-no . The block was bored larger in anticipation of the larger displacement the following model year (the /6) but the crank is not as stiff. I had no problems, including running it pretty hard.

Looks like very little corrosion on the exterior aluminum. This is good.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote