User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,472
I bought the 3's-
The local mechanics AND sales guys are both convinced they are a better tire. Very interesting tread and "inner tread" design- inner triangles and wedges to shed water/mud. One of the tipping points was the longer road/slab trips I have planned for later this summer/fall.

Felt smooth at freeway speeds. No wobble scrubbing them in a parking lot
FWIW, they were $360 for the pair, I was at $410 OTD

Time will tell, I'll report.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:24 AM   #17
Tigrou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Hi,

A little feedback from france.
A have the opportunity to buy a set of new anakee III ( 223$, witch his really a low price).
My anakee II were brand new after 10.000 miles but my curiosity about this new Anakee was stronger.

I'm impressed:
- much more confort; just pass from a tank to a magic carpet!
- higher security feeling, and feeling of the front wheel (wet or dry road).

need to continu my test but it seems that I need now to push the GSA from side to side with the Anakee III, where the anakee II just switch from one side to another just without any effort.

A will be able to make a better feedback after my 1 week ride beginning this evening.
GS'13 - 7.000 miles …for the moment
Tigrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #18
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMAC View Post
I have a A3 on the rear only and so far it is great on road . But I am hearing a high pitch winey sound now . Anyone else hear it on A3 @ 40 -50 mph ?
had a set installed 200 miles ago. over 45 mph howling at the moon
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #19
a41capt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Dirt Test Complete

I took 'em on a 45 mile dirt trip yesterday at speed up to 60 and they felt great. The road surface was hard packed washboard (in parts) with AB sized overburden, gravel, and sand, and they felt sure-footed as all get-out.

It amazed me so much, that at one point while traveling at about 45 mph and dicking around looking down at the front tire, I drifted off the edge into the side of the bar ditch. Applied a little throttle and she pulled herself right out even though this was some mighty loose crap on a steep angle. Impressed the hell out of me!

So, a little whine on the road (starting to diminish a little with some mileage) is a manageable issue when I can still get off onto my old stagecoach roads and still fly!

Now on to that funny clunk noise when I release the clutch...

John

Theodore Roosevelt
May 13, 1903
Molon Labe!

a41capt screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 07:27 PM Reason: fixed a typo
a41capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #20
R1200GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
I am approaching 3000 miles on mine.

They are proving to be a great tire so far. They are wearing soooooo much more better than I could have wished for.

Two Thumbs Up!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #21
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,261
500 miles on mine with no complaints.
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #22
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Anakee 3 feedback

09 GSA. I have about 1k miles on them. My whining noise started from the moment I left the bike shop for install. Oddly enough it got better in the first 8-10 miles and the first heat cycle. Now the noise is worse around 60. I am a little hard of hearing and wear ear plugs and still hear the noise. If I can not find a solution soon I will be switching to a different tire.
Only when exiting very hard on sharp turns in Second gear, the rear tends to search a little bit for grip.
PatSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #23
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrou View Post
Hi,

A have the opportunity to buy a set of new anakee III ( 223$, witch his really a low price).
My anakee II were brand new after 10.000 miles but my curiosity about this new Anakee was stronger.

I'm impressed:

need to continu my test but it seems that I need now to push the GSA from side to side with the Anakee III, where the anakee II just switch from one side to another just without any effort.

A will be able to make a better feedback after my 1 week ride beginning this evening.
I always get that new tire feeling as well after dumping the 10 K tires for a new set.
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #24
Hennepinboy
Have battery will travel.

Oddometer: 446
Anakee III in snow

Living in the Northland I only have a couple hundred miles on the Anakee III. 18 miles where in a snow storm, commuted to work, 28'F in the morning, snow and snow drifting across the road on the way home. I am not afraid to say I was scared. The tires never felt like they would slid out from under me, bike felt very secure. If the Anakee III can handle snow they should be okay on dirtJ
Old 05-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #25
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,278
OK here is my experience, just got back from a week in the Smokey's tearing up the twisties with some dirt thrown in.

2270 miles, and the tires are half way to the wear bars. Measured near the wear bars, started with 9 1/2 rear, now at 6. Front, started at 6 and at 4 front now.

Elephants are LONG gone, even wearing the ridge where the sidewall meets the tread surface, and NO slips at all in the dry, a couple in some nasty wet and moss, that set another rider on Tourances grabbing some seat with his sphincter. A fair amount of wet pavement, and no drama. Rode some dirt, loose gravel, and some steep gravel climbs, and was happy, I do not have a lot of dirt experiance to make a comparative judgement.

I was with another rider that had these on his new GS12H2........oh. It has rained every day since he picked it up a week ago, and in 2K miles says they are the best rain tire he has ridden. (he rides 30-60K miles/year)

Bottom line great tire, stuck as good as any sport tires (M-3, BT-016, Pilot Power 2ct, Pilot Road 2ct) Heat up fast, wear EXCELLENT. Gave me confidence in dirt and seemed more immune to following the grooved chip seal that NC is fond of (those that ride there know what I am talking about)

And before you say the 5K I am projected to get sucks, the LONGEST I ever went on a set of tires on my R1100S was 2700, on a set of Pilot road 2ct's and I managed to clean off a set of Pirelli Corsa 3's in 3 days and 1100 miles, and both were BALD edge to edge, riding the same roads at the same spirited pace. Granted the F8GS is lighter, but I rode every bit as spirited. This is my tire of choice from this point forward for trips that will be 90% pavement.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #26
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Noise

Some of you have mentioned the whining noise. I to have a noise that seems loudest at +/- 60 mph. I have about 800 miles on them and the noise is not getting better. For those of you with higher miles on these tires, is the noise getting louder or going away?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #27
STUFF2C
Banned

Oddometer: 2,693
FK!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just ready to order 3's.... what is this whine your speak of?
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #28
STUFF2C
Banned

Are you back yet?
Did you get any noise that is annoying?
how many miles did you do on your trip?

I'm running Metzler EXP's now and really like them... HMMM should I switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrou View Post
Hi,

I'm impressed:

Old 05-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #29
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Stuff2c

These tires seem to have a whine that different people notice at different speeds. When I bought these I was not informed of the whine until after installed. The whine was there from 10 mph on up to whatever speed you want. At some point in time, the wind noise drowns out the tire whine. oddly the noise got better in the first 8-10 miles. At that point they were completely heated and I stopped to do some shopping. Back on the road the noise was noticeably improved. I cant explain why, but it was better. Now I notice it about 40 and again about 60. I also am hard of hearing and wear ear plugs and I can still hear it. I wrote to Michelin and got a response. They want me to go back to the dealer and have the dealer inspect and then call the Michelin CA dept. My problem is they are only open 8-5 M-F and I have to take off work to make this happen and hope they offer to replace the tires with a different model. Unless I hear that they have fixed the whine, I will not by this model and may not stay with Michelin. I love their tires, I use them on my vehicles, my MX bikes and my GSA. I have to replace the tires on my 690 and was going to look for Michelins but now I am not sure. If you can find someone in your 'hood that already has these you may want to talk with them first.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:35 AM   #30
STUFF2C
Banned

Pat- thanks for the reply, the find a friend that has one was a great suggestion, I do have a friend with a set on his new bike.

I understand and expect some noise in a dual sport tire, but one rated at 95/5% would seem to be the best choice for a quiet tire.