Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #46
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,045
Mine are about as loud as the Anakee2s I took off, but the pitch might be a bit higher. I wear ear plugs 99% of the time anyway and don't really notice them any more than any other tire I've run. See to work just fine, but I think I like the feel of the A2 better. Haven't hit any dirt yet. I'll give that a try this weekend.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #47
Hennepinboy
Have battery will travel.

Oddometer: 446
Last weekend I scouted roads for the 2013 BMWMCOM Hiawatha Rally GS Ride. 100 miles of hard packed gravel with layer of loose rock, large rocks wet dirt/mud and several water crossings. I was very happy with the bad road performace of the Anakee III's. The tires are not knobbies, but work better then any other 90/10 tires I have ridden on.
The Anakee III's do sign on pavement, no worst then the Avon Grippsters that I have on the Airhead GS
Old 05-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #48
..::LOST::..
utter n00bie

Oddometer: 197
I didn't even realize there was a thread on this. I just put a set of Anakee 3's on my R12GS last week. These replaced my TKC80's, so I really can't comment on road noise, and it would be a bit obvious to say they're quieter, and stop a lot better than the TKC's. The tread is a bit different... looks more like a street tire. I didn't do much if any research on these before pulling the trigger, other than I wanted a street oriented tire, and just got these because they appeared to be what I was looking for.

So far! I really like them!
Old 05-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #49
mjfields_228
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Hey guys! I am glad I read this thread finally.

I put front/rear A3's on my 2012 GSA 3100 miles ago. Most of those were from a trip from Cape Canaveral, FL to Natchez, MS to Nashville, TN back to Cape C over the last 3 days.

The Natchez Trace Parkway did not offer up any challenging corning except for the last 20 miles before Nashville but the late afternoon traffic precluded me from "trying them out"

So, sorry, I cannot comment on the dry grip but I will take everyones word on it! And, I have not done any off road because I killed my left lower engine guard in Montana last summer and I have yet to replace my engine protection.

The only thing I can comment on is they are way noisier than the A2's.
As a matter of fact, rolling along the peaceful Natchez Trace PW at about 57mph I thought I was being closely followed by a monster truck!!!
It was only certain sections as another poster commented that the surface of the road can really amplify it at times.

Riding Super Slab was ok. Not as nice as a set of Pilot Road 3's but they are supposed to give you a little help off the deck.

As for wear..... my rear is starting to square off due to my lack of turning.
The front is looking odd too. Like it wants to scallop but it does not.
I have never made it more the 6000 miles on any rear on my GSA yet so time will tell how this one fairs.
mjfields_228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #50
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 538
I put a rear on a few weeks ago for a trip to Houston from Washinton state. I have 5200 miles on it now, and it looks like it has 2-3000 more in it, other than it has a flat spot from all the straight highway miles. It is wearing better than any rear I have had on before. I usually run a K60, but have used Tourance and Anakee 2 as well. I don't notice the noise, but wear good earplugs.
It is not good off road, but I didn't expect much. I don't notice any difference in grip in the twisties either.
I am taking it off soon to mount the Karoo 3 tires for better off road grip. Hope they last.
14 KTM 500 EXC

mlyamkaw screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 07:43 AM
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #51
Lounge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
As the miles pile up I've noticed that the whine is only present from about 58 to 62 MPH on my set ... 42/42psi 1200GSA

Did some dirt road riding last weekend - not too bad at speed, believe it or not. Slow motoring on the loose surface produced slipping and plowing (as expected) but at speed they felt quite stable. I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #52
ADVMAC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
On road test

I just did 1K on the my A3 's , lots of hard fast mountain riding 2 up . I was very confident in there grip. Any gravel slides i had were with out drama . I was @ 38/42
Old 06-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #53
Uncle Bucks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Anakee 3 road noise

Put front Anakee III on 1200 GS last week and have about 500 miles. Also, with ear plugs there is still a loud wine at 58 - 62 that was not on Tourances. Running 40/40 psi. Glad to know it is probably just the tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge View Post
As the miles pile up I've noticed that the whine is only present from about 58 to 62 MPH on my set ... 42/42psi 1200GSA

Did some dirt road riding last weekend - not too bad at speed, believe it or not. Slow motoring on the loose surface produced slipping and plowing (as expected) but at speed they felt quite stable. I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #54
Menachem
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
For those running 40/40 or higher are those A3 pressures as they seem higher than standard recommended for the gs, no? I have a set on my bike as well for my upcoming trip....
06 DRZ 470 supertard
Menachem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #55
Uncle Bucks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Not A3 pressures. I ran the Tourances at 42/42 and thought I would try 40/40. Will most likely move to 42/42 for A3's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menachem View Post
For those running 40/40 or higher are those A3 pressures as they seem higher than standard recommended for the gs, no? I have a set on my bike as well for my upcoming trip....
Old 06-04-2013, 05:13 AM   #56
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSABest View Post
Did everyone get bad cupping on the Anakee fronts? I did on every one I installed on my 08 GSA, despite trying different tire pressures. Just the wear characteristics of that tread design on this bike...
I have been through three sets, and every one has done that. Stealership said it was to be expected because there are two different types of rubber compound in the tire, and one wears faster than the other. Of course, this is the same crooked stealership that I have paid to flush my brake system for the past two years, and I just discovered they have never done it.
ADV Pie Map
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #57
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
AndyCap

Have you tried te Aanakee3? I'm curious of your feedback on them vs the a2
PatSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #58
apexal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
While everybody is talking about Anakee IIs and IIIs, does anybody know the thread depth for a brand new Anakee II? Right now I measure 4/32" on the center threads of both my front and rear Anakee IIs. The reason that I ask is that I'm trying to extimate how much tire life is remaining, assuming that tire wear is linear with mileage. I had the Anakee IIs installed at my 6000 mile service and I'm just about ready for the 12,000 mile service. I'd like to get my money's worth out of these tires but it sure is easy to have the dealer change the tires and do the service at the same time. If it matters, my local dealer charges $400, mounted and balanced, which seems like a good price. If I can get a few thousand miles more out of these tires, great, but then again I've never been one to skimp on my tires.

2014 R1200GS Racing Red
apexal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #59
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexal View Post
While everybody is talking about Anakee IIs and IIIs, does anybody know the thread depth for a brand new Anakee II? ....................

6/32 front, 10/32 rear when new on the 2's. 3's are 9-1/2/32 rear 6/32 front new
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:14 AM   #60
apexal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
6/32 front, 10/32 rear when new on the 2's. 3's are 9-1/2/32 rear 6/32 front new
Thanks for the info. Based on these figures my rear tire is wearing much faster than my front. From carrying weight? When I pack up for a trip the side cases and my duffle weigh almost 100 pounds all totalled.

2014 R1200GS Racing Red
apexal is offline   Reply With Quote