Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 05:26 AM   #61
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexal View Post
Thanks for the info. Based on these figures my rear tire is wearing much faster than my front. From carrying weight? When I pack up for a trip the side cases and my duffle weigh almost 100 pounds all totalled.

Unless you are super aggressive in the corners, the rear will always wear out before the front.

All your Go and depending on you style, some or most of your stop is from the rear too. That is why they have more rubber to start with.

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #62
apexal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
Unless you are super aggressive in the corners, the rear will always wear out before the front. All your Go and depending on you style, some or most of your stop is from the rear too. That is why they have more rubber to start with.
I'm not super aggressive in the corners and I only use the front brake lever which is supposed to be linked, 70 front/30 rear. But I do like using the throttle!

By the way, my Anakee 2's seem to make a pulsing/whining sound when riding in 5th gear. At least I think that it's the tires. Reading all the talk of whining with the 3's makes me reluctant to go with that tire. Mabe the 2's are still available?

2014 R1200GS Racing Red
apexal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #63
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,763
New Anakee 3's yesterday after many sets of 2's and all the different Tourance's including EXP's.
This tire rocks! Much quieter than any of the others. The others have all been too noisy (whiney) but this set of 5's is fine. Feels much more street biased and the road feel consequently is way improved. Much more confidence. I did a 60 mile mountain section immediately after installing and they were quicker than the 2's just because of the road feel. Must be a slightly softer sidewall. I love em. Ran 34/37 psi.
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #64
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,414
I put 1,700 miles on the Anakaee 3's in Canada this past weekend. I rode in a good mix of conditions, slab, dirt, torrential rain, sunny day. Most of the time, I was fully loaded with camp gear, and such. When we went on dirt, I didn't adjust the tire pressure because we didn't anticipate being out there too long, or having it get too gnarly. We did hit some pretty good rutty roads and such, but nothing that I would consider truly challenging for grading the off road capabilities of these tires.

Overall, the A3's performed as well as the A2's, or better. They definitely have better road grip on the dry slab. I felt I could lean as deep as I want, and still had plenty of grip. Off road, they worked surprisingly well considering the much less aggressive tread pattern. No, they are not knobbies, and aren't confidence inspiring, but they worked fine for dirt roads, and logging paths. I didn't get into mud or wet off road conditions, so I am not sure how they would do there. During wet slab conditions, these tires worked fine at lower speeds. However, I found that when I got to highway speeds, they felt a bit slippery, and seemed to want to wander. I didn't have this feeling with the A2's.

I do get the high pitched hum starting at about 45 MPH. It doesn't bother me too much because I wear ear buds, and usually have music playing.

Overall, I like these tires as a 70 street/30 dirt tire. Granted, I only have 1,700 miles on them, and haven't played with the tire pressure too much.

I am mostly interested in seeing how these tires wear. I didn't like the way the A2's wore.
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #65
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
Unless you are super aggressive in the corners, the rear will always wear out before the front.

All your Go and depending on you style, some or most of your stop is from the rear too. That is why they have more rubber to start with.

That hasn't been my experience at all. I usually go through my fronts first. Granted, I don't do hole shots with the GS, so the rear tire isn't getting wasted from that. I usually go 1.5 front tires to 1 rear. I wonder if geography has anything to do with it? I live in NH, and our roads tend to be twisty. At least the roads that I ride. I know that when I road to Texas, I didn't take many turns or go around many curves.
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #66
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCap View Post
That hasn't been my experience at all. I usually go through my fronts first. Granted, I don't do hole shots with the GS, so the rear tire isn't getting wasted from that. I usually go 1.5 front tires to 1 rear. I wonder if geography has anything to do with it? I live in NH, and our roads tend to be twisty. At least the roads that I ride. I know that when I road to Texas, I didn't take many turns or go around many curves.

Wow, I think you are a definite exception to the rule. Are they cupping, or are you wearing them out? Out of curiosity what kind of mileage to you get out of a tire?

My riding is 80% twisty stuff, Smokey's and PA, some in the southern tier of NY which is somewhat comparable to NH, in turns/mile.

Richard
Old 06-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #67
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Are they cupping?
This seems to be a very common question on the 1200.

I have a friend who is a tire whore and says -all- front tires will cup on the GSA1200 regardless of manufacture and tire pressure. I believe he said it was because of the front suspension. Anyway...

WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #68
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post

I have a friend who is a tire whore and says -all- front tires will cup on the GSA1200 regardless of manufacture and tire pressure. I believe he said it was because of the front suspension. Anyway...

Cupping is due to bad, or mis-adjusted suspension. Quality shocks fix it.

Richard
Old 06-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #69
apexal
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I put 6000 miles on Tourance EXP's without a trace of cupping. I have 6000 miles on Anakee 2's and not a hint of cupping. Does that mean the stock ESA shock a quality shock?

Wow, I've never seen as many differing opinions and differing experiences as I've seen on these tire threads. This even makes the oil threads look tame!

Well, I have this belief that all quality tires are quality tires. But this sure does make for some fun reading!

2014 R1200GS Racing Red
Old 06-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #70
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexal View Post
I put 6000 miles on Tourance EXP's without a trace of cupping. I have 6000 miles on Anakee 2's and not a hint of cupping. Does that mean the stock ESA shock a quality shock?

Wow, I've never seen as many differing opinions and differing experiences as I've seen on these tire threads. This even makes the oil threads look tame!

Well, I have this belief that all quality tires are quality tires. But this sure does make for some fun reading!
Sure does.

What ESA setting do you normally have it on, and what tire pressures do you run?

Here lately I've been running 38 and 41 and have the ESA locked in the two up configuration, which is a little stiffer for my weight - 250. Getting new A2's put on tomorrow (bought them 4 months ago - so on they go...).

What is the best suspension setting for normal tire wear?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #71
apexal
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Sure does.
What ESA setting do you normally have it on, and what tire pressures do you run?
Here lately I've been running 38 and 41 and have the ESA locked in the two up configuration, which is a little stiffer for my weight - 250. Getting new A2's put on tomorrow (bought them 4 months ago - so on they go...).
What is the best suspension setting for normal tire wear?
I use the comfort setting on bumpy roads ans use normal setting on everything else. I use one-up preload when riding solo (I'm 175 lbs) and use one-up with luggage when carrying weight on the back.

I run similar tire pressures as you do but I'm not very good and checking them often and they always seem good when I do.

I had a Triumph Sprint with Bridgestones and the front tire was cupping quite a bit by 4000 miles. I thought that it was because of crappy tires so in my mind Bridgestones aren't a good choice (on the Triumph forum they were referred to as Slipstones). I think that Metzelers and Michelins are very good tires and will continue using them. If I can get another set of Anakee 2's then that's probably what I'll go with at my next tire change.

2014 R1200GS Racing Red
Old 06-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #72
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Here is a neat video on the Anakee III

MICHELIN ANAKEE III: Better Stability For Better Safety

Now back to the A2's; I finished putting on the new A2's today which I bought before the A3's came out - here is a picture of my front A2 which had little bumps and a little cupping going on. I'm beginning to believe alot of this is due to the block design. Mileage around 8k. Next time around I'll go with A3's or the 'Next' from T'.

Originally I wanted to see how the A3's worn at around 8k to compared to this. But I really believe that the differences in design will dictate how they are going to wear compared to each other.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #73
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,318
I've got that same wear pattern going on as well. This is the second front tire to wear like that. Michelin actually paid to replace the tire before it, which wore just the same. I figure I have about 1/2 the tread left, but not enough to go back and forth to Colorado next month, at least with that wear pattern setting in. So I am trying to decided what other tire to buy or just to forget taking the GS and leaving it home and taking the GT. I'm just pissed that this is the second time I have taken off a tire that has about 50% of it's life left due to it wearing like shit.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #74
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,854
Mine look like that too but no problems in ride or handling.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #75
neerbeer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
My A2 looks worse than that. It is extremely noisy and I am getting a slight vibration I think is caused by the unusual tire wear. I'm getting A3's put on next week!
neerbeer is online now   Reply With Quote