User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
ktm hardparts heated grips vs oxford?

I picked up a set of these ktm grips today from the dealer for $110. They had the oxfords for sale too for 10 bucks cheaper but I figured it was a nobrainer. Especially since this box said made in Japan and the oxfords were made in China.

Well anywho after taking them out of the box I'm not so sure, the grip looks super cheezy, hard plastic with the tiniest amount of rubber on them in the most unaggresive pattern possible. The oxfords had the nice diamond nubs on em.

Anyone had both? I'm thinking of taking this set back and getting the oxfords.

pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,914
I have the KTM ones on my 990 at the moment, good heat and surprisingly they are not that bad to hang on to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,756
I would recommend these...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OMOB9S/...S&linkCode=asn

Cheers
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
ciedema
мотоциклист

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
Only one small problem with that, this bit:-

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Quote:
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle

Oddometer: 207
I've had the KTM grips for a winter. The first set went dead in a few weeks, the wiring broke inside the left grip.

The replacement set has been working OK but the feel could certainly be better. I think pure laziness is the only reason why I would leave them on the bike for the summer (which most likely means they'll stay on for the summer).

The grips are made for KTM by Daytona: http://daytona-global.com/products/?...&subcategID=50

For anyone on a budget: the Daytona ones are about 2030 percent cheaper. You still get the orange button, just not the logo
Oldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
luvmyhilux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I have the KTM's on my R, on the top setting they are almost too hot to hold! They look nice and match the rest of the bike, also they are a KTM part so shouldn't interfere with your warranty if they cause a problem...
luvmyhilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
fridgyis
Fridgy

Oddometer: 48
Heated grips

I use a standard cheesy grip heater but wired it to the oxfor controller for better heat control range. Thisi allows you to put whatever grip you like on and change them when necessary. You just need to put some heat tubing on the off side before installation to keep the heat on the left side from disapatting into the aluminum handlebars.

The oxford controller works great but is difficult to see in the daylight. Tat would be my only complaint on this install.
Good luck!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
Portman
Portman

Oddometer: 46
I have the Oxfords on my 2011 ADV and had another set on my earlier 2008 ADV. I have the Sportsgrips as shown in the picture.

The outer diameter is larger than the original grips fitted to the ADVs but that suited me as my hands are on the larger side.

I like the diamond pattern. It gives me a comfortable feel (the rubber feels slightly soft) and also gives me a sense that my gloves will not slip on the grip no matter what. I should add that I do very little off road riding so I have no experience of muddy/slippery stuff on the grips but as I say I sense the pattern will grip well.

The four heat settings are fine for me, although I do not use the first setting.

I should add that after a little use of the first set the controller box failed but Oxford sorted a replacement via my local dealer.

The lights indicating which setting is selected are rubbish as if the bulbs are not correctly aligned with the apetures in the display panel. Almost invisible in bright weather but just about OK in the dark.
Portman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
offworlder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
KTM heated grips are crap, will fail. I've gone through 3 sets on different bikes already.
Symtec kit is more work to install, and doesnt offer as much heat, but does actually continue to work (vs. the KTM ones).

offworlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
fredN4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
I picked up a set of these ktm grips today from the dealer for $110. They had the oxfords for sale too for 10 bucks cheaper but I figured it was a nobrainer. Especially since this box said made in Japan and the oxfords were made in China.

Well anywho after taking them out of the box I'm not so sure, the grip looks super cheezy, hard plastic with the tiniest amount of rubber on them in the most unaggresive pattern possible. The oxfords had the nice diamond nubs on em.

Anyone had both? I'm thinking of taking this set back and getting the oxfords.

I have them both. The Oxfords are on my VFR and KTM's own on my 950A. The Oxfords work fine but I did not want to have to cut them down to fit on my KTM. And, being lazy, it was easier and quicker to connect the KTM grips to the ACC pickup point. Cant say I have really thought about the difference in styling. They both work - that's all that concerned me.
fredN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
ciedema
мотоциклист

Quote:
Originally Posted by offworlder View Post
KTM heated grips are crap, will fail. I've gone through 3 sets on different bikes already.
Symtec kit is more work to install, and doesnt offer as much heat, but does actually continue to work (vs. the KTM ones).

Hmm - mine have been on the bike since new, when the PO put them on. That is over 12 ago and 21,000 miles, still work very well.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I wonder if they changed the heating element for the newer model KTM grips?

I too like the feel and the heating of the ones I have.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:44 AM   #13
murphyKTM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I have had three sets of oxfords hot grips fail on my 950. Hope my 4th set is a keeper. Problem is with the controler that appears to have a design change each time it s replaced which isnt reassuring. I woulnt recomend them, however when they work they are great.
murphyKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:37 AM   #14
dochstader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Oxford grip heaters

I have Oxfords on two of my bikes. They have worked perfectly, but I find it a pain to have to reset them every time I shut the motor down - I have tried to "outthink" the controller, but, short of having them wired directly to the battery, I have been unsuccessful!
Live with it, I guess.
El Mur.
dochstader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:44 AM   #15
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 945
The oxford rubber wears through very quickly, and the heating tubes are too wide to fit any normal grips to replace them. Even if you do find some stretchy enough, the heat elements are so puny they don't heat. So you have to buy a whole new set. Every year, almost. Assuming the weather doesn't kill them first.

I run twin circuit snowmobile heating elements under pillowtop grips. Wired my own switch to either one or both circuits, giving a simple but effective hi and lo setting.

They are the only grips that will heat my hands, through winter gloves, at 100kph, in sub zero.weather. neither the Oxfords nor ktms did this.

$70 on ebay and an hour in the shed, plus whatever grips you like. Winner in my books
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote