Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #31
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 7,455
All one has to do is look at those two bike photos to determine which bike is more comfortable for touring.

However, the GS does more than tour as you are well aware.

Maybe it is time to expand your motorcycling horizons to roads less traveled?
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #32
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by treg View Post
Here is a pic of wing I would be selling. I'm going for another test ride of the GSW on Tues. The wing is starting to get a little boring.

Has that goldwing gone to the dark side?
Ua the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #33
DownunderBrian
B2

Oddometer: 73
Wicked

Quote:
Is anyone going to come out with some kind of highway pegs(cool looking ones) incase I want to stretch out my legs for the GSW?
I have these pegs mounted on my altrider bars. I got them from twisted throttle, about $100.

They are not as comfortable as the kuryakn pegs I had on my previous bike, but I thought these suit the bike better. I love them. I can also rest my feet on the altrider bars, so plenty of leg stretching options.

DownunderBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #34
treg OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ua the Destroyer View Post
Has that goldwing gone to the dark side?
Yes it did. But will be sold without.
treg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #35
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
I don't fit a Goldwing at all, so can't directly comment. My knees hit the fairing.
I ride my HD Ultra and the GSA daily for commutes up to 200ish miles round trip, sometimes as short as 10 miles.
I've done 1000 miles in a day on both, I've done near 1000mile days back to back for days on both.

The GSA is doable for sure but the HD is fairly easy. I love the range on the GSA tank and for long distance that makes it a harder decision... more comfort vs more distance between stops. I've gone 400 miles without stopping and while it was fun, it was also something that made me walk funny for a couple days

You mention you like the GS because it's a dirtbike. It's a very heavy bike (light by GW or HD standards) that does take damage when it goes down. Nowhere near what a regular streetbike will cost you but if you're into shiny, it wont stay that way for long offroad.

If you ride long distances on the interstate, you will want cruise control. I always miss that when logging a lot of miles to get somewhere. That's only available on the 13 GS at this point as a factory option.

I've never found a bike boring, so maybe I'm not the best advice and I've seen all those yellowwolf videos where he rides the heck of out his GW. Doesn't look boring to me.

You did mention liking power... the GS is no slouch but compared to the wing, it's a different animal.

Maintenance is cheap and easy but given this impending trade, I will assume the cost isn't concern.

Bike ADD, I suffer from it as well. I used to be able to go about 2 years between purchases, now I'm down to 12-13 months! I've recently learned to lessen that pain by buying used. I have 2 bikes, customized and all for a ton less than I walked off the showroom floor paying for my HD. Just a though there if you are still finding out your preferences.

*edit*
Accessories you will have to add yourself that are probably already on your GW:
Stereo
CB
Intercom (no passenger you said, so maybe no interest)
GPS
Cruise (if not a 13GS)
Luggage
Heated Seat (if you like that sort of thing)
Cappuccino maker
Alarm - if you care
1975 R90/6
Follow me here

trc.rhubarb screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 09:25 AM
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #36
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
2,000 miles and you're bored with the 'wing?

You'll be bored with the GS in about 5 miles, with that dead front end.

What kind of windshield is that on the blue 'wing?

9600 miles in 60 days on my 2012 Goldwing and the trans is about to drop right out of it, I'm in love with the thing though and Honda will rue the day they gave me three years unlimited miles.

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #37
treg OP
Adventurer

[QUOTE=trc.rhubarb;21285671]I don't fit a Goldwing at all, so can't directly comment. My knees hit the fairing.
I ride my HD Ultra and the GSA daily for commutes up to 200ish miles round trip, sometimes as short as 10 miles.
I've done 1000 miles in a day on both, I've done near 1000mile days back to back for days on both.

The GSA is doable for sure but the HD is fairly easy. I love the range on the GSA tank and for long distance that makes it a harder decision... more comfort vs more distance between stops. I've gone 400 miles without stopping and while it was fun, it was also something that made me walk funny for a couple days

You mention you like the GS because it's a dirtbike. It's a very heavy bike (light by GW or HD standards) that does take damage when it goes down. Nowhere near what a regular streetbike will cost you but if you're into shiny, it wont stay that way for long offroad.

I don't think it is a dirtbike, just like the idea of getting off road on some trails if want to. Can't do that on the wing.

If you ride long distances on the interstate, you will want cruise control. I always miss that when logging a lot of miles to get somewhere. That's only available on the 13 GS at this point as a factory option.

I don't ride long distances at all. Only 200 mile day long trips one day a weekend(if that) and local town riding. No interstates at all. And yes would be getting the 13 GS w/cruie control.

I've never found a bike boring, so maybe I'm not the best advice and I've seen all those yellowwolf videos where he rides the heck of out his GW. Doesn't look boring to me.

I guess it depends where you live. I just have a lot of flat roads with few curves. But do have the Shawnee National Forest with lots of fire roads and trails.

You did mention liking power... the GS is no slouch but compared to the wing, it's a different animal.

Yes, but the wing weighs 950 lbs with same rated HP

Maintenance is cheap and easy but given this impending trade, I will assume the cost isn't concern.

No

Bike ADD, I suffer from it as well. I used to be able to go about 2 years between purchases, now I'm down to 12-13 months! I've recently learned to lessen that pain by buying used. I have 2 bikes, customized and all for a ton less than I walked off the showroom floor paying for my HD. Just a though there if you are still finding out your preferences.

I would look at used but want the new water cooled engine, so have to buy new on this one if I want it now. Yes, I'm the same way, can't keep a bike long, usually a year.

*edit*
Accessories you will have to add yourself that are probably already on your GW:
Stereo Have bluetooth built in helmet

CB Don't need or have

Intercom (no passenger you said, so maybe no interest) No passenger

GPS Don't have but 13GS comes ready for it

Cruise (if not a 13GS) 13GS w has it

Luggage Might get some or tail and tank bag since no traveling

Heated Seat (if you like that sort of thing) Might have to purchase this

Cappuccino maker Don't dring coffee

Alarm - if you care Don't have it now, don't need it
Old 04-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #38
treg OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
2,000 miles and you're bored with the 'wing?

You'll be bored with the GS in about 5 miles, with that dead front end.

What kind of windshield is that on the blue 'wing?

9600 miles in 60 days on my 2012 Goldwing and the trans is about to drop right out of it, I'm in love with the thing though and Honda will rue the day they gave me three years unlimited miles.

Glad you like your wing. The windshield is a Windbender with electric option.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #39
QED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Only you can decide

Only you can decide what is comfortable. I am 6' 1" with both knee and back surgery. I am also very inflexible. I need a riding position like I'm sitting on a bar stool. That is something I can do all day. I need to sit up tall with my legs under me; Not out front like on a Harley.

I made a few mods on my "05 GS which allow me to ride all day with no physical fatigue.

Aeroflow wind screen. Eliminated bobble head while riding on the freeway.

Corbin seat. Nice and hard. Allows my to slide around eliminating butt rash.

Lowered Pegs 1/2 inch. Along with taller Corbin it took the pressure off my knees.

The bike is tall and light and can get blown around in high wind. Nothing you can do about that except slow down.

I ride my bike exclusively spring thru fall. I have ridden several 1000 mile days, and at least a dozen 750+ days.

The GS is the perfect bike for me. Only you can decide what is right for you. If you aren't planning any dirt in your future, you might also consider an RT. Ride 'em all before spending your money.
QED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #40
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post

Honda will rue the day they gave me three years unlimited miles.

I can't keep your pace up, but I'm 5 years unlimited on the Yammy. And a service contract too. (first ever for me. Not sure how the dealer talked me into it. I'm getting old, I guess)

They already know they are in trouble with me on mileage. I'm past the break-even point on the service contract. It's a loser now every time I come in for a cup of coffee and smile. "I'll take a 4000 mile service please"

Doubt the warranty will get tested. But you never know. I subject it to as much off road testing as possible.

Anyways, had to comment on your Wing mileage pace. Outstanding!
Old 04-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #41
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 895
The 'Wing just doesn't fit me. People swear by them, I couldn't stand it.

I replaced a Harley Ultra with an RT. That lasted all of 4 months. I don't have a lot of good things to say about that bike, though if you're 5'9" tall, you'll probably love it. The GS/A I replaced the RT with is everything I wanted a motorcycle to be. The 'Wing and the Ultra are both more relaxed long-distance cruisers than the GS or GS/A, but that doesn't sound like an issue for you.

Were it me, I'd wait for the new Adventure.

BTW, the best barbecue I've ever had was at the Rendezvous in Mt. Vernon. I stop there any time I ride out west. I've literally ridden hundreds of miles out of my way just to get their ribs and pulled pork. The sauce they have is just unbelievable.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #42
treg OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
The 'Wing just doesn't fit me. People swear by them, I couldn't stand it.

I replaced a Harley Ultra with an RT. That lasted all of 4 months. I don't have a lot of good things to say about that bike, though if you're 5'9" tall, you'll probably love it. The GS/A I replaced the RT with is everything I wanted a motorcycle to be. The 'Wing and the Ultra are both more relaxed long-distance cruisers than the GS or GS/A, but that doesn't sound like an issue for you.

Were it me, I'd wait for the new Adventure.

BTW, the best barbecue I've ever had was at the Rendezvous in Mt. Vernon. I stop there any time I ride out west. I've literally ridden hundreds of miles out of my way just to get their ribs and pulled pork. The sauce they have is just unbelievable.
Not sure I need the adventure. I think it will just be a heavier bike and more top weight with that huge tank. I will probably be on the road more than off. But I'm going tomorrow for my 2nd test ride. So I will go ahead and test ride a 1013 GSA while I'm at it. If I was to go ahead and get the GS and then wanted to trade it on the GSA watercooled next feb or march, how much you guys think I would loose on the GS?
Old 04-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #43
WildAnCrazymtl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,264
Quote:
Here is a pic of wing I would be selling. I'm going for another test ride of the GSW on Tues. The wing is starting to get a little boring.

Dude that is a sweet looking ride! Does it have A/C ? This is what I want in my mid to late 60's! For now in my mid to late forties I will stick with my GS for a few more years!

Old 09-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #44
sarhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I've decided to sell the wing and put down my deposit on the new GSW

Now have to wait till June for it to arrive

Anyone know of anyone looking a mint 12 Goldwing with 2100 miles, let them know.
Well...did you get a GS?
Old 09-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #45
labenske
Criminal

Oddometer: 84
Go for the current GSA

I traded my '08 loaded wing for a '12 GSA and I don't regret it one bit. I put 40K on the wing before I "accidentally" test rode a GSA. I am only 5'8" so I never really had any problem fitting into the wing. I absolutely love the GSA. I just rolled over 19k and it's only getting better. I have had ZERO issues so far.

If you are dead set on a water cooled... there is no telling when a GSA will come out. I've not kept up on the rumor mill, but the guys at both Bob's and Battley Cycles had no word on new ones. Plus, with the water cooled, it's a totally new design, which will take BMW a few years to work out all the issues.

The only thing I know you will miss is how easy it is to make the wing shine! Most of the guys on here will tell you the GS is supposed to be dirty all the time, and only garage queens keep their GS's pristine... here's the secret.... the GSA is a bitch to keep clean with all it's nooks and crannies and knuckle de-skinners. Not to mention the fact that every time you see a gravel road you passed on the wing, you will now be required to explore on your GSA.

2012 R1200GSA Triple Dirt

If the army still used flame throwers, I'd have never left.
labenske is offline   Reply With Quote