User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #46
Lokey
redneck

Oddometer: 252
[QUOTE=

I have never ridden a GS (other than Suzuki) or any other BMW, but I can't imagine them being at all comfortable. They all have that awful low bar rearset peg riding position. The Goldwing has an upright riding position and the most comfortable seat in the world.

[/QUOTE]

And having never ridden one you are qualified to pass judgement on how comfortable they are?????

I have toured on large bikes before, in my case, a 2004 HD Electra Glide Classic. A wonderful and comfortable bike. It got good mileage (42-45 mpg), the stock seat was good for 700-800 mile days easy, handled surprisingly good for a low and heavy bike and in the eight years and 80K miles I owned it it never broke, ever.

But...I wanted to explore different roads than the suspension on the Harley would allow me to. I looked around and tried the BMW GS line of bikes and I have never looked back. They truly do handle like a sportbike on twisty roads and make decent dirt road bikes. I personally am not young enough or a good enough dirt rider to handle the real rough stuff off road, but there are those that can, and do take them some pretty gnarly places.

I just bought a new (used) '12 GSA and I couldn't be happier. The only mods that it really needs to make it perfect for me are freeway pegs (because sometimes you have to drone on the freeway to get to where you really want to go), a set of ROX risers to put the bars where they are comfortable for me and a custom seat.

The GW is a great bike, but they are huge and heavy. Ultimately, you have to find what is suitable for you. Sometimes you just have to try a few bikes until you find it.
Lokey is offline   Reply With Quote