User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Dingo101 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Basic bike riding lessons 101 :)

I've been helping my partner come to grips with motorcycle riding over the last week, we got her a DR 250 and have started at the very beginning ( never ridden before ).

In three days she has come a long way, gears, clutch, throttle control all coming together well, got her standing up, doing figure eights, riding over curbs etc.

It's basic I know, but essential to getting into anything further.

Trailered both bikes up to glasshouse yesterday morning, and hit the fire breaks for a few hours, came across a few mud holes here and there that proved to tricky initially, until we got her sitting down, feet down, clutching the thing like a tractor all the way through, this proved to be a huge achievement in her mind, and anything for the rest of the day that bothered her, was tackled in a similar manner. She had a few drops, hurt her kneecap a little when it smashed into the handlebars in one of the mud holes, but by the end of the day, we were doing rutted single track downhills and up and out the other side, with a smile bigger than I can remember seeing...it was a good day.

Now I've been riding for near on 30 years, but haven't really ever taught someone from the ground up, so I've downloaded a few basic bike control tutorials, as in body position, balance, grip the bike with your legs, elbows up, be strong blah blah blah, but I'm looking to keep the learning curve going without over doing it and having it knock her confidence.

Was thinking of taking the bikes out to wood ford/daigular/Kilcoy to try and find some nice easy rainforest type single track stuff and I have no idea where to find this type of terrain?

I'd like anybody's opinions on this thread, ideas, hints, skill sets, drills, areas....anything at all. And hopefully it might be a good entry level thread for a lot of newbies who want to get involved in dirt biking but get scared off when they see how much they have to learn to even be able to come out on a group ride.

Just try and remember your first 3 hours ever on a motorcycle, that's where we are...

Bring it on !!!

Cheers
Greg and Ro
Dingo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
Dingo101 OP
Adventurer

Bump
Old 04-27-2013, 01:58 AM   #3
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,143
Daguilar - the legal open area is mt mee - it is 95 pcnt trails , some loose gravel stuff and some more muddy rough stuff -Nice but nearly no single track . Here is a map - http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/da...-trail-map.pdf

Woodford joins glasshouse and bellthorpe. From what i have seen glasshouse has the most single track - south end near woodford has nice loomy stuff in the pine forests . Bellthorpe has trails and knarly hills .

I have a bad sense of direction so usually get lost and just go with flow - carry a gps so can always get out .

Imbil and kenilworth have great trails. They can be tricky when wet . Gheerulla is a designated bike trail but your partner my need more practice b4 trying that .

There is several private tracks farms around that may have lots of single track - i have not been to many so cant say too much but google is your friend - blackbutt - manour park - wyralong park come to mind .

Re your wife learning - good luck - my wife gave up after a big stack on day 1 . Keep at it - do everything slowly is my advice ...

Good luck with it Stu
Old 04-27-2013, 02:19 AM   #4
Strummer
Snail Trailer

Oddometer: 2,157
If you and your lady are free on 19th May, you should come along to this one

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876727

Even if she just watches, she will learn lots of great tricks from some friendly guys and gals. The ride will be suitable for new riders, and all the skills sessions will be optional.

Should be a great day!

Strummer's music here - https://soundcloud.com/vospar-gem
Videos here:http://www.youtube.com/user/strummerdrz?feature=mhum
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:24 AM   #5
John 171
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
The better half

Hi Dingo,

My Mrs had never ridden a bike till a couple of years ago, I'd been doubling her before that. It has been a great success and we now ride lots of places togther. It sounds like you've got the perfect bike for her to learn on which is a good start. The best advice I can give from my experience is, keep it simple, don't rush, give them time to practice what they've learn't, be patient and most of all KEEP IT FUN. If they lose their confidence in the early stages or end up hating it because the fun has gone out of it you have lost them.

Cheers
John.

John 171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:43 AM   #6
Dingo101 OP
Adventurer

Hey lads,

Thanks a lot for your replies. All good advice, and strummer - those snail trail rides look the goods. Once we can match ourselves work wise up to one, we will be there with bells on.

Stu, thx for the info on glasshouse/woodford etc. I'm on holidays for a week from the first of may, so we will surely be looking to spank some trails up that way during that week !

Cheers
Old 04-27-2013, 02:58 AM   #7
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,727
http://www.bestrestproducts.com/imag...-13%201306.pdf
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Sleepy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #8
Kimi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
women riders

Hi Dingo, glad your partner is enjoying the bike, I am a returned rider from many decades ago and getting back into the dirt cos I hate traffic !

Can I just add that the right gear is essential, I noticed the photo John posted had his better half in somewhat ordinary looking gear. I loved my road riding boots but I just feel much more confident and more protected with some proper dirt riding boots and pants and stuff.... even to the point where when I did have an off (in a car park in a Nat Park with lots of people running to my aid) I just lay there laughing ......cos nothing happened ..... please make her safe cos it will help her confidence I promise..... and be patient, my husband is and the people we ride with and I thank them for it .... no pressure ....just have fun

Kimi screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 07:24 PM
Kimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:06 AM   #9
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
A word of advice for the little lady. Get some reasonable protective gear. Knee guards can feel a bit bulky until you get used to them but will go a long way to stopping those inevitable bumps, scrapes and bruises which in turn can take the enjoyment out of learning.

On another note, Todd Smith (TKSmith) was running rider training on the sunshine coast.
http://www.adventurerider.com.au/
Give him a yell.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:08 AM   #10
Kimi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
women riders

Hi Dingo, glad your partner is enjoying the bike, I am a returned rider from many decades ago and getting back into the dirt cos I hate traffic !

Can I just add that the right gear is essential, I noticed the photo John posted had his better half in somewhat ordinary looking gear. I loved my road riding boots but I just feel much more confident and more protected with some proper dirt riding boots and pants and stuff.... even to the point where when I did have an off (in a car park in a Nat Park with lots of people running to my aid) I just lay there laughing ......cos nothing happened ..... please make her safe cos it will help her confidence I promise..... and be patient, my husband is and the people we ride with and I thank them for it .... no pressure ....just have fun
Kimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:15 AM   #11
Dingo101 OP
Adventurer

Cheers sleepy John,

That's the mother of all rookie riding links...perfect, thank you :)
Old 04-27-2013, 04:52 AM   #12
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Id be giving Bellthorpe a big miss. It can be quite technical with respect to the hill climbs.

There is a HUGE amount of ST in the Beerburrum area. Keep your eyes open and you'll find it but ride slowly as some can quickly take you to Grade 2+ places. If it stops raining it can be awesome :)

As above if you guys are trail riding you need to gear up. I got back into it just over a year ago. Here's a link to lots of info I pulled together.

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=93048

You must be stoked your girlfriend is riding :)

panhead_pete screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 05:00 AM
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:10 AM   #13
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,376
If you your able to get down to the Goldie, i can't think of anyone better than- http://www.toprider.com.au/Pages.asp?PageID=6

I work for another rider training company, but I still go back to Bernie at top rider to improve my own skills. i did his grip school a few months ago -

Once you have the basics o.k. this would be an awsome day to improve advike and trail riding technique's - http://www.totaltrials.com.au/coaching/adventure-rides/
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:40 AM   #14
stormsearcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
ridin

YAIM , riding school with heffo. Yamah Australia has the details.learn it once learn it right!
Old 04-28-2013, 01:48 AM   #15
John 171
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
protective gear

Kimi,
Take another look at that "somewhat ordinary looking gear" I wouldn't call a top of the range Arai helmet, top of the range jacket with full CE approved armor, good quality Kevilar jeans with, if you look closely at the bulk at the knee good quality knee guards fitted under the jeans, good quality Alpinestar gloves and good quality boots too ordinary. Admitted the boots are road riding boots but this was predominantly a road riding trip with the occasion made dirt road.
Cheers
John.
John 171 is offline   Reply With Quote