ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
ciukes OP
ciukes
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: London, UK
Oddometer: 25
LC4 Water Pump - Plastic impeller shattered

Hi guys,

Reviewing recently purchased 640 '01 I discovered this


The bike has 5000 miles on the counter but lots of owners. I suspect it was ridden in off-road a lot. I replaced the impeller and checked all the hoses and drained water and I found all the impeller bits.

Question: Should I be worried about plastic impeller being shattered? Can this signal a major problem I'm not aware of or this "just happens" ?
ciukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 3,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciukes View Post
Hi guys,

Reviewing recently purchased 640 '01 I discovered this


The bike has 5000 miles on the counter but lots of owners. I suspect it was ridden in off-road a lot. I replaced the impeller and checked all the hoses and drained water and I found all the impeller bits.

Question: Should I be worried about plastic impeller being shattered? Can this signal a major problem I'm not aware of or this "just happens" ?
Did you rebuild the water pump? With the bike being 12 yrs old it would be worthwhile to replace those old rubber seals in the pump...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer
 
Seikkailu_R's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Piikkiö, Finland
Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciukes

Question: Should I be worried about plastic impeller being shattered? Can this signal a major problem I'm not aware of or this "just happens" ?
Bolt and washer look suprisingly fresh for that old bike?

But its not very common to impeller shatter like that.
Maybe there was something gone/made wrong on previous maintenance...
Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:17 AM   #4
ciukes OP
ciukes
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: London, UK
Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Did you rebuild the water pump? With the bike being 12 yrs old it would be worthwhile to replace those old rubber seals in the pump...
Certainly it is a goog idea:) That's what I'm doing right now.
__________________
To Asia and beyond. Low-budget travels on two wheels
mototraveler.eu
ciukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
ciukes OP
ciukes
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: London, UK
Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seikkailu_R View Post
Bolt and washer look suprisingly fresh for that old bike?
Makes me think somebody replaced it over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seikkailu_R View Post
But its not very common to impeller shatter like that.
Maybe there was something gone/made wrong on previous maintenance...
That's the only explanation I could come up with.

Anyway impeller is replaced now and all the cooling circuit is going through review in search for old impeller's bits :/
__________________
To Asia and beyond. Low-budget travels on two wheels
mototraveler.eu
ciukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
rz35027
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rz35027's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Oddometer: 215
Bluhduh

Try to match all the larger bits to the broken impeller to make sure you get it all...

I had an overheating problem when I first got my bike, after having to tear the engine down I found bits of impeller blade jammed in the coolant tract behind/infront of the carb. Apparently the P/O had just installed a new impeller and sold the bike

My best guess was mechanical error or he had kicked the bike over when it was frozen(?)
rz35027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Cloverdale
Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by rz35027 View Post
he had kicked the bike over when it was frozen(?)

That's the most probable answer there!

Cheers
__________________
HP2 Sport, R1200S, R100S, KTM 640 Adventure, KTM 520 EXC/Motard, Yamaha RZ350, Hodaka 125 Wombat
Droptarotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014