User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #16
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
I'd say echo/stihl is a no brainer just see whats the better deal, i've got a echo back pack that works really good, my dad has a couple commercial stihls that are animals.

The main thing is make sure its got the throttle on the right hand and not a seperate one on the left.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:08 AM   #17
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,538
Not just for leafs, apparently they are also good for drying a wet steel roof.

Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #18
duncb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Local Stihl dealer told me to buy red max. Red max felt cheap and had made in china written across the front. Stihl was $120 more for 30% less power than husky and I can return husky to lowes if it so much as backfires. I hate to use chain stores but there's a lot to be said for handing in tool and getting money back compared to buying a made in us (china) brand and having to pay some teenage oik $50 everytime it needs a tune up or spare part.

Husky was 299, Stihl was 120 more for less power and 489 for similar!

I'm on the bench now!
duncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #19
Ironfish653
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
On the ethanol thing: My Stihl dealer strongly encourages finding a source of ethanol free gasoline (not hard to do around here, so no biggie). Old fuel (more than 6 weeks old, according to him) will cause problems and he has had to replace rubber parts in carbs from fuel that went stale in even new machines.

Which begs the question: Why the fuck don't the manufacturers - ALL of them - build their products with rubber parts made to withstand the evils of today's fuels??????
The 'Stale Fuel' is actually because the ethanol in E10+ will attract water, which doesn't work so well as a motor fuel.
Higher concentrations of ethanol (over 10%) will start attacking the rubber that's used for seals and hoses in gasoline engines, especially if you let it sit for weeks at a time.
About 3 years ago, we did change the materials used for seals and hoses in the fuel systems, but we still have an awful lot of units that have been in the field for 10, 15, 20 years, or even longer. That's why we recommend ethanol-free fuel. Ethanol sucks.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #20
duncb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Where can you buy ethanol free fuel?
duncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #21
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,739
Not sure about leafblowers, but husky is pulling ahead of stihl with chainsaws. It's all I run now, and I have a friend that's a logger and that's all he runs. He said he was lucky to get one year out of a stihl, and he's getting 2 years out of the huskys he currently runs. Either saw gets a new top end every 4 to 6 months, but the stihl just wasn't holding up to the use.

Granted he brings 2 saws in the woods and averages 3 semi loads per day that he personally cuts. Figure each saw cuts around 500 semi truck loads per year, give or take.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #22
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,237
I had to replace a Stihl saw that I'd bought new. I had for several years and had put it through some pretty hard use but, not as long or as hard as with my preveious Stihl, an 041.
My friend ,that I'd bought it from told me it was because of "lean seize". He said it was becoming common for engines to lose the cylinder plateing due to this condition, which is caused by the ethenol in the gas attracting water and changeing the air-fuel ratio. The solution is to use a mix of ethenol free gas with the proper oil.
The problem is where to find the gas.
Stihl was selling gas at their dealers {at a premium price] but my local doesn't carry it.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #23
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncb View Post
Where can you buy ethanol free fuel?
I can buy it at the Shervin's Sinclair station in Jackson, Wyoming. Might be a bit long of a drive for you though. Looks like there's only 5 places in Arizona

Here's a link. Hopefully you'll find a place near you.

http://pure-gas.org/
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #24
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3ga View Post
On Stihl.

Just picked up one of their Kombi units - dealer informed me that if I purchased & used Stihl's synthetic oil, the warranty doubles from 2 to 4 years. I loaded up. This is a 50cc two-stroke - pretty impressive.

And the unit is great; it's not a throw-away like the last two POS units I got from Lowe's or the Depot.

Just got an e-mail from Stihl, there's some sales going on now. Might be time to pounce.
Yup - just got one Friday - the KM130R (2/4 stroke hybrid). Got a pole pruner (chain saw on a pole) and a brush cutter (with 3 different blades) with a screw on string trimmer for the brush cutter.

Expensive ($700+) but now I only have one machine to maintain, I don't have to carry two or three different machines around my 20 acres and it is more powerful than any of the weed eaters.

I like Stihl stuff - most or all of it is made well, lasts a long time and most of the dealers seem to know their stuff. Going to get a chain saw too - it will be a multipurpose machine also; going to get a winch, auger and log debarker tool and such for it, so I will probably get one of the more powerful saws.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #25
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
I had to replace a Stihl saw that I'd bought new. I had for several years and had put it through some pretty hard use but, not as long or as hard as with my preveious Stihl, an 041.
My friend ,that I'd bought it from told me it was because of "lean seize". He said it was becoming common for engines to lose the cylinder plateing due to this condition, which is caused by the ethenol in the gas attracting water and changeing the air-fuel ratio. The solution is to use a mix of ethenol free gas with the proper oil.
The problem is where to find the gas.
Stihl was selling gas at their dealers {at a premium price] but my local doesn't carry it.

I go to a local country general store that has ethanol free gas. They charge a premium for it because they can, but I don't use much of it as I only get it for my tools not my vehicles. I use it for my lawn mower, pressure washer and Kombi tool. I also use it for my Beta Alp which doesn't like ethanol in its tank (rumor is it screws up the tank which is some form of plastic) and I will use it for a chain saw when I get it. All of these things prefer non-ethanol gas.

Right now I only keep five gallons, but I am going to get some barrels for gas, diesel and kerosene to keep in the shop.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #26
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
I'm lucky that most places here ethanol free premium fuel so yeah its more but I only use maybe 8 gallons all year. I also mix the oil a little rich since my leaf blower usually is wide open the whole time.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #27
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 675
Most every Stihl I have had runs like poop for the break in then runs great from then on. I run SeaFoam in the gas all the time and have few if any carb or fuel related problems. Heavy home/light commercial use.
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #28
liquidsmile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
Stihl is all I use as well. I have the BR600 and I live at the bottom of a hill on an acre.

This blower rocks. When it rains all my neighbors leaves flow downhill and pile up at the curbs at the end of my driveway. Wet heavy leaves are no match for it.

I had the 550 before I purchased this one and gave it to my uncle because he was needing a blower. Both have had heavy use and never miss a beat.
liquidsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #29
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post

I go to a local country general store that has ethanol free gas. They charge a premium for it because they can, but I don't use much of it as I only get it for my tools not my vehicles. I use it for my lawn mower, pressure washer and Kombi tool. I also use it for my Beta Alp which doesn't like ethanol in its tank (rumor is it screws up the tank which is some form of plastic) and I will use it for a chain saw when I get it. All of these things prefer non-ethanol gas.

Right now I only keep five gallons, but I am going to get some barrels for gas, diesel and kerosene to keep in the shop.
Yep, I checked the pure gas site and the closest to me is 50+ miles away. They have quite a few stations listed in Ky. but, most are in the western half of the state.
I used to go to the local airport to buy 100 octane low-lead aviation gas for my dirt bike. I may give that a try again, with all the new rules at airports , who knows ?
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #30
12bridn
I need throttle therapy

Oddometer: 4,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Not just for leafs, apparently they are also good for drying a wet steel roof.

They are also great for getting bonfires roaring.
12bridn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: