ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 02:18 AM   #16
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Thanks for the write up. I considered the spot 3 but I don't really see what it has that previous spots did not. The 2 way messaging on the delorme is huge. Where did you order from?
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
lm002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #17
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,127
The Inmarsat satellite constellation used by the inReach has significantly more coverage and bandwidth compared to GlobalStar (SPOT). I rarely had consistent connection and transmission with the SPOT (1,2 and Connect). I don't believe the SPOT 3 can improve on that since GlobalStar hasn't launched any new satellites in the past couple of decades (that worked).

I really don't expect any difference between the inReach for Smartphone and the inReach SE as far as reliability and message transmission. I'm looking forward to being able to switch Tracking modes without having to use my iPhone. I also like having the maps as backup to my GPS. They are OK in North America but they're not much more than a "base map" when you leave the country.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #18
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
My Delorme InReach SE was delivered today. Will test it out on a good ride this weekend and post up a mini review.

Still waiting for the RAM mount to come out. Anyone have any word on it?
Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #19
artimishoke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Mikey View Post
My Delorme InReach SE was delivered today. Will test it out on a good ride this weekend and post up a mini review.

Still waiting for the RAM mount to come out. Anyone have any word on it?
When I last talked to my Delorme rep he said there was one in the works. I'd think they would have had plenty of time to source one with the release delays.
artimishoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #20
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm002e View Post
The 2 way messaging on the delorme is huge.
The 2-way messaging is a game changer. Here's my write-up of my recent experience using the SOS feature of the Spot. All of the problems we encountered could have been avoided if we had been able to SMS with GEOS and with family. Immediately after this, I ordered a DeLorme Inreach SE. IMO, a Spot may be better than nothing, but it comes with a whole host of problems that may not be immediately apparent until you're in the middle of an emergency.

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=431684
Old 06-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #21
dpifko
Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer: 323
Transmission Power

Does anyone know what the transmission power is for the InReach SE? I couldn't find that spec anywhere. This could be important if I find myself under significant tree cover when I want to use it.

AVAILABLE NOW - ANDROID version: Greatest Drive
dpifko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #22
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpifko View Post
Does anyone know what the transmission power is for the InReach SE? I couldn't find that spec anywhere. This could be important if I find myself under significant tree cover when I want to use it.
Don't know the numbers but I'd be more concerned about the sensitivity of the GPS Antenna in the inReach since it really doesn't mean much if there isn't a GPS fix. I've had my inReach (Blue) transmit a message with my location from my home office doorway which is under my house tile roof. I've also been in some rather dense cover in narrow canyons and never lost a Tracking signal but there's no guarantee unless you "...have a clear view of the sky."

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #23
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,680
I'm looking at their subscription structure and am I correct for the 4 month seasonal will cost you $160?? $120 for the basic annually. Seems a bit spendy....
Old 06-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #24
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
I'm looking at their subscription structure and am I correct for the 4 month seasonal will cost you $160?? $120 for the basic annually. Seems a bit spendy....
Yes,that's the price

As a comparison I was paying slightly less than $200 a year(latest billing)
for SPOT with tracking and GEOS service.
My concentrated riding/longer trips are summertime,as is true for many here.
So I gave up SPOT,when I found an essentially new InReach(blue) for smartphones at an REI garage sale for cheap.It will give me better tracking,improved messaging,mapping ability for that 4-5 months for less than or equal to the SPOT cost.
The rest of the year I'm usually in cell phone range,so can suspend the InReach service at no cost until next late spring/early summer.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #25
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I used my SPOT Connect last September. Worked as advertised. I liked the ability to text my needs and condition. However is it a battery whore. Sucks them dead fast. I have bought Delorme SE as it is best of both worlds. Price per month is not a big deal considering you can sign up per months that. You'll actually need it, not all year. It is a powerful tool. The downloadable maps are great. If two of you have Delorme out of cell range you can text each other ack and forth if you split up etc. Pretty cool shit

Good luck ride safe
Old 06-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #26
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
A few questions for owners of the new Inreach SE:

(1) how awkward is typing a text messgae with the on screen keyboard, a lot slower than a cell phone?

(2) what software is used for tracking back at home? My wifey tracks me with the SPOT website software which is pretty simple to understand. I tried the Inreach web site software (GeoPro) stuff back in Jan 2012 (when Inreach first came out) and found it quite a bit more complex.

(3) when someone sends a text message to you, does that count against your monthly total?

Right now I have spot 2 and a sat phone. I could replace both and reduce my monthly cost by half. Its compelling.

OneEffinName screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 05:47 AM
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #27
artimishoke
Adventurer

AHoke in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post

(1) how awkward is typing a text messgae with the on screen keyboard, a lot slower than a cell phone? - Did you or do you own a non-smart phone? Same left, right, up, down and select each letter. I will say that with gloves on that the center pad is very if not too sensitive. I've had it jump past, over and around what I am trying to highlight several times. I think it will take some practice to navigate menus while moving.

(2) what software is used for tracking back at home? My wifey tracks me with the SPOT website software which is pretty simple to understand. I tried the Inreach web site software (GeoPro) stuff back in Jan 2012 (when Inreach first came out) and found it quite a bit more complex. - It is web based tracking that they call Mapshare. My wife who is not the quickest when it comes to computers figured it out with a bit of coaching. It can be linked up to twitter/facebook. You can password protect your map so that after you post up on social media site X random dude or stalker chick can't pinpoint you.

(3) when someone sends a text message to you, does that count against your monthly total? - I think that it does, but I have not looked into what the prices are. The company I am working with is footing the bill while I evaluate the new SE. I'll look into it and let you know, but I'm sure one of the other owners on here that isn't as fortunate as me will chime in.

Right now I have spot 2 and a sat phone. I could replace both and reduce my monthly cost by half. Its compelling. - That is a key reason that I am testing the SE. I have a year, but I think I have already decided it is better than using the SPOT.
artimishoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #28
artimishoke
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpifko View Post
I didn't shut mine off last night. It was locked up in my garage overnight. When I looked at the map this morning I could see that it had continued to update every minute just as I had set it. I did notice an actual location deviation of about 600-800 feet.

This week I'll leave it outside for 12hrs and see if there is a deviation change with a clear sky view.

As a side note. I know for a fact that the inReach (have not tested the SE yet) will work in some of the thickest jungle areas of South America.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #29
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 866
InReach or InReach SE questions

How do you charge the batteries? Can it be hardwired into the bike for constant charging?

Regarding the charges for tracking, is it $.25 per breadcrumb dropped on the basic plan?

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #30
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post

(3) when someone sends a text message to you, does that count against your monthly total?

Right now I have spot 2 and a sat phone. I could replace both and reduce my monthly cost by half. Its compelling.
Messages count both directions against the total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOBOB View Post
How do you charge the batteries? Can it be hardwired into the bike for constant charging?

Regarding the charges for tracking, is it $.25 per breadcrumb dropped on the basic plan?
Yes, Tracking is $0.25/Track Point sent - assuming you are talking about the "Safety Plan". But, that's cheaper than sending a Message after your 10 plan messages are used up. You'll just want to send one Track point at a time.

Personally, I find the Recreation plan to be the "basic" plan. Use it "Seasonally" if you don't want it full time. I think it is quite a reasonable cost for the service rendered.

Dan
All Things GPS