User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
Trials/Rider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
KTM- what should I know before I buy?

I've been looking at the new KTM 690 Enduro R and I talk to everyone that has motorcycles to get an opinion. Surprisingly allot of people ask if I ever owned one before - or say they have their "quirks".
I know most of these bike require allot of oil changes - every 15 hours, and it get that because these are a race bike.
But the Enduro R doesn't require the frequent oil changes and has a 6200mile service.

So what are they talking about when they say KTM's have Quirks?

What should I know before I buy it?
Trials/Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,746
The biggest problem I have had with the KTM's I have owned, is trying to wipe the shit eating grin off my face.

They are great bikes, go for it.

Marc
Old 04-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,807
The thing with KTM's is the tolerances are built a bit tighter. You've just got to maintain them, you can't go out and flog them like a borrowed bike and not expect to give it a once over every now and then. I know guys that rode Jap bikes back in high school that would check the oil once a year after riding every weekend. Can't do that with the KTM and not expect something to happen.

I had a 525 motard that I beat on religiously every weekend for two years: changed the oil every 3,000 miles and forgot about it. Same with my KTM dirt bikes, I change the oil whenever I remember it, which is roughly once every other month when I ride a lot.

Get the bike. My dad had a 690R and it's a great little bike.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trials/Rider View Post
I've been looking at the new KTM 690 Enduro R and I talk to everyone that has motorcycles to get an opinion. Surprisingly allot of people ask if I ever owned one before - or say they have their "quirks".
I know most of these bike require allot of oil changes - every 15 hours, and it get that because these are a race bike.
But the Enduro R doesn't require the frequent oil changes and has a 6200mile service.

So what are they talking about when they say KTM's have Quirks?

What should I know before I buy it?
The 690 has much more oil capacity and cooling compared to the smaller bikes so you will not have the issue of frequent oil changes. Depending on the model year, some can be quirkier than others - for example, I had a 2008 690 Enduro that was determined to stop running at the worst times. Turns out it was related to the fuel pump failure that is so common but once I swapped it out for an aftermarket unit (cost less, more reliable), that issue went away. The 2009 and up have slightly more suspension travel so depending on your height, that may or may not be a consideration. The 2009 -2011 also used an inferior headlight design compared to the 2008 and in 2012, KTM "upgraded" it - meaning they reverted back to the original headlight design. The engine also got a power bump in later years (2011 or 2012 I think but I could be wrong about the model year. At some point, the engine moved from 654cc to 690cc hence the bump in power).

It's a phenomenal bike for city riding, trails and decent on the highway. I had panniers on mine and the "touring" windshield and could easily sustain 140kph (80 mph) all day long on highways. Riding two-up sucked because its light and underpowered for two-up riding plus the seat subframe is non-existent so it uses its fuel tank (under the seat) as the tank AND subframe - this has caused some issues with the primary tank bolts weakening but there's an easy fix from Rally Raid with better bolts (cheap and cheerful).

Nothing in its class comes close to its level of performance - any other thumper (single cylinder) would struggle to break 50hp and the 690 is in the mid to high 60s - yes, there is a remarkable power difference over the BMW 650s and KLR650s plus it's a 6 speed, not a 5 speed like others in its class. The suspension is fantastic and can be easily tailored to suit your weight and riding style and there's an endless sea of farkles to buy for them.

Hope this helps...
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
The 690 is a phenomenal bike for city riding, trails and decent on the highway. Nothing in its class comes close to its level of performance - any other thumper (single cylinder) would struggle to break 50hp and the 690 is in the mid to high 60s - yes, there is a remarkable power difference over the BMW 650s and KLR650s plus it's a 6 speed, not a 5 speed like others in its class. The suspension is fantastic and can be easily tailored to suit your weight and riding style and there's an endless sea of farkles to buy for them.

Hope this helps...
This is not helpful. Now I want one.
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guano11 View Post
This is not helpful. Now I want one.
I'm sorry, I won't try to talk you out of it unless you want or need something bigger in which case, the 950/990 adventure is the quintessential large adventure bike that has off road capability.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
Trials/Rider OP
Adventurer

Quote:
The 690 has much more oil capacity and cooling compared to the smaller bikes so you will not have the issue of frequent oil changes. Depending on the model year, some can be quirkier than others - for example, I had a 2008 690 Enduro that was determined to stop running at the worst times. Turns out it was related to the fuel pump failure that is so common but once I swapped it out for an aftermarket unit (cost less, more reliable), that issue went away. The 2009 and up have slightly more suspension travel so depending on your height, that may or may not be a consideration. The 2009 -2011 also used an inferior headlight design compared to the 2008 and in 2012, KTM "upgraded" it - meaning they reverted back to the original headlight design. The engine also got a power bump in later years (2011 or 2012 I think but I could be wrong about the model year. At some point, the engine moved from 654cc to 690cc hence the bump in power).

It's a phenomenal bike for city riding, trails and decent on the highway. I had panniers on mine and the "touring" windshield and could easily sustain 140kph (80 mph) all day long on highways. Riding two-up sucked because its light and underpowered for two-up riding plus the seat subframe is non-existent so it uses its fuel tank (under the seat) as the tank AND subframe - this has caused some issues with the primary tank bolts weakening but there's an easy fix from Rally Raid with better bolts (cheap and cheerful).

Nothing in its class comes close to its level of performance - any other thumper (single cylinder) would struggle to break 50hp and the 690 is in the mid to high 60s - yes, there is a remarkable power difference over the BMW 650s and KLR650s plus it's a 6 speed, not a 5 speed like others in its class. The suspension is fantastic and can be easily tailored to suit your weight and riding style and there's an endless sea of farkles to buy for them.

Hope this helps...

Thanks everyone for the response!

~Guano11 - sorry if this got you side tracked or even derailed some plans- Word of cation // Do Not Look at one or even Sit on it!! I'm sure if you were to ride it, it's a sealed deal!!!.....

Alongat-
I appreciate you experience with this bike and agree with everything you said and can't understand what the guys meant when they said it had quirks? Yes, the 20012 & 13 have the higher HP and they changed how they cast the engine case - making it lighter and stronger (that's about the end of my knowledge!).

I remember some bikes were a PITA to change oil - How is this bike?

How will this bike do on some occasional single track? (had friends ride Honda 650 L's with not too much trouble. I'm thinking I'd need a lowering kit for complement riding single track?
Thanks a bunch for the feedback.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,241
If I had the room in my garage and the marital capital to spend, I'd get the 690 with the Defy Quest mods from KTM Basel:

Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
If I had the room in my garage and the marital capital to spend, I'd get the 690 with the Defy Quest mods from KTM Basel:

Orgasmic :)
Old 04-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
alongat
Studly Adventurer

The 690 is a trail weapon that doubles as a great long distance machine with the right setup and parts - it has no equal. It's close to the smaller bikes in terms of being nimble in trails but far exceeds their capabilities on road. I used to load mine up with hard cases, a large waterproof duffle chock full of camping gear and I could still turn out 130kph on highways all day long (mind you, for those trips I used the renazco seat instead of the foam 2x4 stock seat).

Head over to the thumper section of advrider.com and search - there is no shortage of info and you'll see a ton of posts by me as we'll - good and bad...

Or...you can man-up and get a 950/990 :) :) :)

Quote:

~Guano11 - sorry if this got you side tracked or even derailed some plans- Word of cation // Do Not Look at one or even Sit on it!! I'm sure if you were to ride it, it's a sealed deal!!!.....

Alongat-
I appreciate you experience with this bike and agree with everything you said and can't understand what the guys meant when they said it had quirks? Yes, the 20012 & 13 have the higher HP and they changed how they cast the engine case - making it lighter and stronger (that's about the end of my knowledge!).

How will this bike do on some occasional single track? (had friends ride Honda 650 L's with not too much trouble. I'm thinking I'd need a lowering kit for complement riding single track?
Thanks a bunch for the feedback.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
jimhaleyscomet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
As long as you are a good bike mechanic, go for it.

As long as you are a good bike mechanic, go for it. If you are like me and am not a good bike mechanic then keep away.

Personally I lost $5000 dollars selling my POS KTM450EXC 14 months after purchasing it new. It spent three of those 14 months out of service for warranty issues. I purchased a carbed KTM450exc only to discover that they were not safe to operate on the street without a jetting kit. Also on day two it began having oil migration issues that plagued the bike for 14 months I owned it and KTM was powerless to correctly diagnose the problem and prevent the problem from returning. The dealer did not know much about my particular bike as they did not sell many. Perhaps other manufactures are not any better on warranty service than KTM but my experience with KTM warranty was horrid. I also believe that you run a bigger risk of quality problems on KTM's because they are always changing them and don't sell the market numbers necessary to work out all the quality kinks.

If you can maintain a "race" car or a "race" bike then go for it. I stretched to pay the entry price and then found the maintenance requirements ate me alive. Your mileage may vary but you have been warned.
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
jalal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:

I used to think oil changes are hard till I get the 990. 2 filters and 2 "screens". About 20 minutes every (for me) 2000 miles. The best part is that it can be done with very minimal mess, unlike the effin 990 that keeps me pissed off a full week after service.
jalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
Trials/Rider OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhaleyscomet View Post
As long as you are a good bike mechanic, go for it. If you are like me and am not a good bike mechanic then keep away.

Personally I lost $5000 dollars selling my POS KTM450EXC 14 months after purchasing it new. It spent three of those 14 months out of service for warranty issues. I purchased a carbed KTM450exc only to discover that they were not safe to operate on the street without a jetting kit. Also on day two it began having oil migration issues that plagued the bike for 14 months I owned it and KTM was powerless to correctly diagnose the problem and prevent the problem from returning. The dealer did not know much about my particular bike as they did not sell many. Perhaps other manufactures are not any better on warranty service than KTM but my experience with KTM warranty was horrid. I also believe that you run a bigger risk of quality problems on KTM's because they are always changing them and don't sell the market numbers necessary to work out all the quality kinks.

If you can maintain a "race" car or a "race" bike then go for it. I stretched to pay the entry price and then found the maintenance requirements ate me alive. Your mileage may vary but you have been warned.

I've heard of similar stuff on the race bikes. Nothing on the enduro R's?
Old 04-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
Trials/Rider OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalal View Post
I used to think oil changes are hard till I get the 990. 2 filters and 2 "screens". About 20 minutes every (for me) 2000 miles. The best part is that it can be done with very minimal mess, unlike the effin 990 that keeps me pissed off a full week after service.
Is it from all the stuff you have to remove and the oil that drips on everything?
Old 04-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
Trials/Rider OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post

Quote:
The 690 is a trail weapon that doubles as a great long distance machine with the right setup and parts - it has no equal. It's close to the smaller bikes in terms of being nimble in trails but far exceeds their capabilities on road. I used to load mine up with hard cases, a large waterproof duffle chock full of camping gear and I could still turn out 130kph on highways all day long (mind you, for those trips I used the renazco seat instead of the foam 2x4 stock seat).

Head over to the thumper section of advrider.com and search - there is no shortage of info and you'll see a ton of posts by me as we'll - good and bad...

Or...you can man-up and get a 950/990 :) :) :)
Man enough for the 990....I think it's just too big to go where I want to go, hell I was wondering if the 690 was too big!
But, to be honest I'm not a fan of all that plastic stuff hanging all over that bike. I like the minimalist look- hell, I ride trials - our bikes don't have that stuff. But admittedly they look all the same upside down.