User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
blatant OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
DRZ 400 Weight Limit

Would a DRZ handle a 250lb rider, factory stock?

That's about it, figure there are some biggin's riding this machine round these parts.

Or would a 650 be a better choice?

blatant screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 12:08 PM
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Bad Daddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Spring-wise they are set up for a 185 lb rider.
You would need to have the spring swapped out, for one that is a bit beefier.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,459
Just about ANY bike would be better with up-rated springs for a 250lb rider.

The DR-Z400S and DR650SE are pretty different bikes too. They aren't just similar Suzuki dualsports of different engine displacement.

The DR-Z400 has liquid-cooling, shimmed valves, taller adjustable-damping suspension, close-ratio 5spd, heavy-duty frame, and a revvier motor. It's a slightly more modern moderate-budget dualsport that is biased towards riding semi-technical (as well as faster) dirt, and slower/shorter pavement.

The DR650 has air/oil-cooling, screw/locknut valves, bargain-basement height-adjustable suspension, wide-ratio 5spd, thin-wall tubeframe, and a smooth tractor of a motor. It's a stone-simple dualsport of effective older tech that is spread pretty evenly between riding faster and further on pavement and slower/easier on dirt.

If you want to cross a continent or ride around local on a considerable amount of up to semi-technical dirt, with slower pavement and very little superslab, lean DR-Z.

If you want to run on mucho pavement, sometimes for hours or even continents on superslab, with shorter sections of semi-technical or longer sections of easier dirt, lean DR650SE...if you can comfortably pick up a near-400lb moto. If you want to haul a passenger further than a mile at a time or more often than once a month, lean AT LEAST as long of a seat as the DR650SE.

Either bike can be MUCH better with some careful mods. Neither bike is a multi-cylinder with 2up luxury touring accommodations or sportbike power delivery. Neither bike is a race-ready dirtbike with a license-plate bolted to the fender.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote