User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
KnowFear OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
coolant in the intake tract??

I was stripping down my new-to-me '06 in preparation for a valve clearance check/adjustment. Once I pulled the airbox out, I peered down the intake tracts to see a small amount of translucent green liquid pooling around the closed valves on the front cylinder, rear intake valves were open so nothing there.

Mileage is @ 14,000 kms, and it seemed to run fine when I rode it home a week ago. A bit slow to start from cold, but power seemed normal.

Obviously I need to replace the water pump shaft/seal, but does this mean my valve guides are screwed too?
Old 04-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
IMO there is no way collant could get there.. it's more likely to be fuel.. smell it!
Old 04-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
KnowFear OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
OK, it smells like gasoline. The green color made me panic. I drained the oil and there doesn't seem to have been any contamination of coolant. The pleats on the filter are straight. The coolant in the overflow tank looks clean.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,490
When pulling the carbs they tend to overflow when pulling out of the airbox.... only place to go is the intake tract.

I use a baking tin that is the right size to slide under the carbs to catch fluid/debris in addition to stuffing paper towels into the intake ports. Don't forget to pull the paper towels when you put it all back together!
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote