Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,256
Anyone playing Mechwarrior online?

I saw some of the beta stuff. From what I see its supposed to be free to play.
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,981
I've heard it was coming but I haven't looked into it.

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

http://mwomercs.com/

Quote:
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Old 04-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
pxfd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
That's cool!

20 years later my wife can be pissed off again.

"You are playing THAT game again aren't you?"

I beat the original every different way back in the day...
pxfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
I remember the old Mechwarrior online, and what an incredible time-sink it was. I hope this time they can make money with it.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,991
Speaking of mech combat did anyone else ever play it in the "pods":

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Mech 4 has a particular distinction for my gaming evolution. One of the best sim games i ever played. But also the childishness of the online players burned me so bad that I have never played another online game up until world of tanks.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 AM   #8
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 2,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Speaking of mech combat did anyone else ever play it in the "pods"
94 or 95 in San Diego. Definitely fun.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 AM   #9
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,485
Been in the Beta since July. The game itself is relatively fun, the developers are definitely B-Team.

The thing it does have going is that their artwork guy is fucking amazing, the mechs look great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Speaking of mech combat did anyone else ever play it in the "pods":

Yeah they used to have those in a Gillians in Norfolk, $8 got you like a ten minute game.....back when I made like $380 every two weeks.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:22 AM   #10
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,299
oh shit, there goes my career.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:57 AM   #11
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,474
I was on the beta early on....I had trouble with it...perhaps I should give it another try....but with summer coming on my game time will be cut back quite a bit.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #12
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,243
I bought in with the Founders packages. My experience has been neutral.

Computer Hardware:
Game is unplayable unless you have an above average graphics card. From my experience, Radeon 6850 is playable, Radeon 4650 is not, YMMV. That said, the game has improved considerably in the last few months, so if you tried it back in November and had problems, it may be playable now.

Gameplay:
The battles are 8v8, and you can form 4-man groups. Solo play is at the mercy of group distribution, and is generally quite frustrating. On the other hand, it is a fun game to play w/ a couple friends using voice chat.

The actual gameplay is a lot like the older MW versions. There are certain balancing changes from tabletop ... double heat sinks are actually 1.4x heat sinks, for example. But in general, it is still Mechwarrior.

Free to Play:
After paying in, I'm generally unimpressed with their business model. There are gameplay handicaps for new players in the form of a Mech experience tree and a large currency buy-in for the larger mechs. There are trial mechs that you can run immediately, but you will quickly get frustrated with those and want to buy your own equiment.

If you start the game by playing for free, you will find yourself severely handicapped for the first several hundred matches. If you pay in, that handicap vanishes in tens of games. Once the handicap is gone, there is almost zero incentive put additional $$ into the game.

Summary:
Good multiplayer game w/ friends. Once you can afford to buy what you want, you've reached end-game. Expect to give them $20-50 dollars fairly early or leave frustrated.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeuner View Post
I bought in with the Founders packages. My experience has been neutral.

Computer Hardware:
Game is unplayable unless you have an above average graphics card. From my experience, Radeon 6850 is playable, Radeon 4650 is not, YMMV. That said, the game has improved considerably in the last few months, so if you tried it back in November and had problems, it may be playable now.

Gameplay:
The battles are 8v8, and you can form 4-man groups. Solo play is at the mercy of group distribution, and is generally quite frustrating. On the other hand, it is a fun game to play w/ a couple friends using voice chat.

The actual gameplay is a lot like the older MW versions. There are certain balancing changes from tabletop ... double heat sinks are actually 1.4x heat sinks, for example. But in general, it is still Mechwarrior.

Free to Play:
After paying in, I'm generally unimpressed with their business model. There are gameplay handicaps for new players in the form of a Mech experience tree and a large currency buy-in for the larger mechs. There are trial mechs that you can run immediately, but you will quickly get frustrated with those and want to buy your own equiment.

If you start the game by playing for free, you will find yourself severely handicapped for the first several hundred matches. If you pay in, that handicap vanishes in tens of games. Once the handicap is gone, there is almost zero incentive put additional $$ into the game.

Summary:
Good multiplayer game w/ friends. Once you can afford to buy what you want, you've reached end-game. Expect to give them $20-50 dollars fairly early or leave frustrated.
Only thing you really have to buy are mechbays, you get four to start with, but you need three to master each chassis (and there are 3 -6 variants each)

Mechbays are like $1.25, of which I'm up to 60 some odd, with 56 mechs populating them. Right now they just re-introduced a bunch of bugs and it can get pretty fucking annoying quickly.

There is also something called a cadet bonus, 25 matches (at about 5-6 minutes average) gives you enough chash to buy an assault (biggest mech) and/or any of the smaller chassis, AND it stacks with premium time, so if you buy $15 (I think that is the smallest chassis) you are looking at 14-17mil which will buy any mech in the game and pimp it out with top shelf equipment, with a day or two of premium (you can buy it that short) and a pile of mechbays so you can branch out.

The trial mechs are truly shit, after that pretty much every mech in the game is useable once you tinker with it. It just takes time to tinker, I make enough usually between mech releases that when the new mechs come out once a month I can buy and fit all varients.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,307
I don't even play Pong....
Old 04-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #15
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Yeah they used to have those in a Gillians in Norfolk, $8 got you like a ten minute game.....back when I made like $380 every two weeks.
I was just a kid when it was out but going to it was a huge part of going to Montréal. It was surrounded by sex shops though on St Catherine St

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: