User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Bipolarpilot OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Noticeable Vibration on 2009 GS at 4300rpm

Not the biggest deal I know but, has anybody else noticed this? In any gear as you pass from 4000 to 4500rpm the "overall GS vibration" changes frequency and then it kind of goes away as you increase rev's. The only issue is that in 6th gear the different buzzing comes on right at about 75 mph and 4300 rpm, right where I like to cruise. The dealer basically said "It's a GS, it vibrates all over the place!". I got mine as a left over in 2010 and it's done it from the beginning (first BMW I've ever had). Initially I was worried there was something wrong with the bike but maybe I'm just nitpicking. I'm fairly new to this site so figured I'd throw it out there to the masses. What say you, masses?
Bipolarpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,046
Unfortunately 4000-4500 is the vibration zone for the R1200. You can do some adjusting of the valves by making them slightly looser and adjust your throttle body sync closer to your cruising speed, but you can't really eliminate it.

Isolation bar risers and foam grips help as well.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
painkilla
MeTaL HeD

Oddometer: 120
i have the same issue on my 2010 gs at the same RPM when i accelerate hard..but i was under the impression it was pinking ?
Old 04-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
What Jim said...

Took mine to one dealership and they said it was normal; took it to another and they tuned my bike like a fine guitar. What a difference... there remains a little buz, but NOTHING like before. Simply night and day difference. They could look at your pinging too.
WindSailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
GP1200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Mine pings if I really gun it. If you accelerate and a steady, even pace ,the bike is a dream.

Speaking of "they all do that" :

I noticed from day one that the exhaust leaks around the clamps at the exhaust valve flapper. I wailed on the clamps and moved them to several different spot to tighten them to no avail. The dealer checked other bikes and they all do it. Not a big deal, but it should really be fixed by the Germans. It's just sloppy.
GP1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
My 2012 had that same nasty vibration at the 4200 rpm range. I bought a Vibranator and that help dramatically, that'll be the best $90 (ADV discount in effect) you'll ever spend
on your bike if the vibration really bothers you.
Dyno testing of a PC-V + Full Akropovic system on an R1200GS
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #7
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1200 View Post
Mine pings if I really gun it. If you accelerate and a steady, even pace ,the bike is a dream.

Speaking of "they all do that" :

I noticed from day one that the exhaust leaks around the clamps at the exhaust valve flapper. I wailed on the clamps and moved them to several different spot to tighten them to no avail. The dealer checked other bikes and they all do it. Not a big deal, but it should really be fixed by the Germans. It's just sloppy.
The exhaust will always have a leak there because it has a hole there to drain water that either comes down the pipe, or condensation from the motor. It is not an accident.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote