Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #31
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryder View Post
Yup way to persevere.
Can I ask what sort of bolt do you plan to put back in there? I will likely bust mine when I try to remove it as it is very reluctant to turn. More heat I suppose.
My plan is to replace it with a stock bolt. I'm thinking Blue Locktite with a paint mark to make sure it isn't backing out.

The other option is a harder bolt. However, as I learned with my 800GS, that creates a whole new set of issues.

Definitely use heat when extracting your bolt. Mine was already broken, so it wouldn't have made a difference. But if yours is not already broken, definitely ease the process with heat.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #32
biometrics
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Congrats on getting it out!

Glad you were successful.

Make sure you clean the threads in the hole, and don't use a bunch of locktite on the new bolt... just some. then mark the bolt so you can tell if it ever turns from the torqued position.
biometrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #33
GrouchyGeezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
GrouchyGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #34
Handler
Rider

Oddometer: 5
Glad it worked out for you. Been awhile but as I recall, the replacement bolt from BMW has a lock patch applied to the new bolt.
Cheers,
-RIck
Old 04-30-2013, 04:17 AM   #35
BigShow
Scallywag/Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Sheared my nuts off...

Last summer we had one of the captains on a fire truck call in and said, "I have just sheared my nuts off"... To which the dispatcher taking the call responded in quite the deadpan voice, "Well, will you be needing a tow truck or an ambulance?"

ba da bump!

heehaw, heehaw...

Great job fixing your nuts and thanks for sharing the story and the pics.

BigShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #36
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShow View Post
Last summer we had one of the captains on a fire truck call in and said, "I have just sheared my nuts off"... To which the dispatcher taking the call responded in quite the deadpan voice, "Well, will you be needing a tow truck or an ambulance?"

ba da bump!

heehaw, heehaw...

Great job fixing your nuts and thanks for sharing the story and the pics.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 04-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #37
88NX250
Team USA

Oddometer: 723
Good job fixing the bolt! I had the same issue a couple years ago on my R1200GS and it was a mess.

To stop the problem from happening again, give special attention to steps 8 and 9 in this blog post. There is a floating spacer in the GS swing-arm that becomes seized in place. When the spacer doesn't tighten properly against the shock bushings, the bolt bends or breaks.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Adventu...k-Installation

88NX250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #38
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88NX250 View Post
Good job fixing the bolt! I had the same issue a couple years ago on my R1200GS and it was a mess.

To stop the problem from happening again, give special attention to steps 8 and 9 in this blog post. There is a floating spacer in the GS swing-arm that becomes seized in place. When the spacer doesn't tighten properly against the shock bushings, the bolt bends or breaks.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Adventu...k-Installation

Interesting. Although the blog post you've linked referes to the 1200GS, it does look like my 1150GSA also has a bushing there. I looked to see if it could be removed easily and it didn't seem to want to come out.

Anyone know if that is a removable (and greasable) bushing on the 1150 like it is on the 1200??
Old 04-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #39
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Interesting. Although the blog post you've linked referes to the 1200GS, it does look like my 1150GSA also has a bushing there. I looked to see if it could be removed easily and it didn't seem to want to come out.

Anyone know if that is a removable (and greasable) bushing on the 1150 like it is on the 1200??
I've got to wait 'til I get home to check but I've had that bolt in and out many times and don't remember the bushing being removable.

However a quick look at max's parts fische shows the bushing as a separate part on the 1150.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #40
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
I've got to wait 'til I get home to check but I've had that bolt in and out many times and don't remember the bushing being removable.

However a quick look at max's parts fische shows the bushing as a separate part on the 1150.
So it does. Who knew? Anyone know how to remove it? Should it come out easily?

Old 04-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #41
88NX250
Team USA

Oddometer: 723
On my bike it was seized petty hard. I had to use a socket that fit in there nicely and a hammer to pound it through. With the shock out, the spacer is short enough to come out of the swing-arm in the space where the shock absorber sits.

Mine took a good bit of sand paper on the spacer itself and the bore it sits in to get it moving smoothly. My friend's 1200 spacer slid in and out smoothly.
88NX250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #42
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88NX250 View Post
On my bike it was seized petty hard. I had to use a socket that fit in there nicely and a hammer to pound it through. With the shock out, the spacer is short enough to come out of the swing-arm in the space where the shock absorber sits.

Mine took a good bit of sand paper on the spacer itself and the bore it sits in to get it moving smoothly. My friend's 1200 spacer slid in and out smoothly.
Rather than pounding on it why not use a bolt a washer and deep socket or piece of pipe and pull it out? I hate hammering on stuff.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:32 AM   #43
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
Rather than pounding on it why not use a bolt a washer and deep socket or piece of pipe and pull it out? I hate hammering on stuff.
Hammering is more fun!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote