User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #31
leesoars
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
wc gs

Yea, guess your right about brand snobs. If it's got two wheels I love it. Just don't understand it. I guess thats why BMW coats cost 450 dollars more than some of the best coats. Had an 85 800 RT I rode the crap out of. Great bike, short gears, drum brakes and all. But if i'm going to spend a ton of money and spend 10 hr days on it I want it to be the right bike. There was a new 12 loaded gs adv sitting next to the wc gs, I'm sure I left some drool on it. I love the looks and the idea idea of riding it on some great rides. But I do that on my KLR, just closer to home. When I test ride a bike I try and get a vision of what it would feel like on a long day. I always wear earplugs but didn't when i tested the wc. When I got back I asked about the pulsating howl and the salesman tried to say it was the tires. Unless the tire had a bad spot in it tread usually does not make it pulsating sound. We put the bike on the center stand and it had about a foot and a half play in the drive train. Maybe something there. Bike only had about 100 miles on it. Oh well maybe wait for the KTM or the ADV to come out
Old 05-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #32
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 995
Guess I will have to give the new WC GS a demo this summer. The front end can't be any quicker than my Supermoto! I have never ridden a GS so no preconceptions.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #33
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesoars View Post
But if i'm going to spend a ton of money and spend 10 hr days on it I want it to be the right bike.
I bought the wrong bike, once. Very expensive lesson. And it was a BMW, too.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #34
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Need some help out here. I've been riding for 51 years now and raced on and off road It also made a loud whooping pulsing noise at about 65, and the front end was kind of sketchy, on twisty pavement. also very klunky gear box. Is it me or is there a BMW gs thing like a Harley thing that I just don't get.
Well, I've been riding for29 years now, and always pretty much hated Harley's and BMW riders.
To me they were nothing but posers, with their fancy and shiny bikes. and being a speed-addict most of my riding years I spend on cbr900, cbr1000, zx-9 and so on.
Living not too far away from the German autobahns had certainly a positive influence on my riding style

All in all, I've actively raced for 9 years, been on the podium several times, was the overall winner on the Belgian endurance races in 2009, and even last year my best achievement was becoming 2second on the German Nurburgring 6 hours endurance trophy (out of 66 teams).
This above, just to let you understand what kind of rider I am (and maybe in the very near future 'was')

SO, as of last month I became on of those "posers" on a brand new GS LC...
Yes, I find it making some strange noises, klunky sounds from the gearbox, every now and then there is this strange feeling going through my feet, like I just hit a brick or something .
The front end isn't anywhere that I feel on my current trackbike. The brakes are so-so for me, and at speeds over 120mph it surely doesn't feel rock solid anymore

BUT MAN, I'm becoming more and more addicted to this bike. Even with its (to me) minor flaws, I'm really having fun on the streets.
I now actually understand the guys, travelling with their GS's and KTM's (still don't understand the HD fuss ). They're just having fun on a bike that isn't 101% the way they want it to be...but then again what (or even who for that matter) will ever be the 101% you want it to be.

Since I'm a total noob on riding this kind of bikes their might be way better bikes than the new GS, but she already stole my heart, and 3 mayor trips to the Austrian alps are already planned
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #35
Pongo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Test drove,
Will happily wait a few years to test drive the GSA version.
I am 6'5" tall.
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #36
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
I have to ask myself: How large/fat are you? The windscreen is a perfect fir for me. No wind on my body, no buffeting on my helmet. It is easy to drive and still plenty large. I do have to say I am not the largest.
Done about 1800 miles on mine and very pleased with it. There are some minor details that could be better,but overall it is fine.
Same here, I loved the new screen, works very well for me. Actually I don't agree with anything the naysayers listed. Great bike, love it and will own one in 2014. Only have 10.5k in my triple black so have to ride it some more. Different strokes for different folks sure is accurate.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #37
UtahDirt
What happened to the Sun?

Oddometer: 598
My dealer received their second shipment of 9 WC's last Friday none spoken for, ALL were gone by Tuesday. This is the second shipment that went fast. Damn I snooze I lose. They order with all options, you can special order if you want. The new wire wheels sure look trick next to the oil cooled wheels.
14 Harley Ultra Limited Water Pumper
UtahDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #38
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Have not had a test ride yet but as a new rider (4 mths on Tmax 500 scooter & 1 year on Kwaka Versys 650) I believe it will exceed my meagre requirements.

My bike is now in stock at my Sydney dealer but I am unable to pickup until mid may when my bike license goes to unrestricted from Learner/Provisional.

The waiting is killing me!
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #39
CTerrySGD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
Well, I've been riding for29 years now, and always pretty much hated Harley's and BMW riders.
To me they were nothing but posers, with their fancy and shiny bikes. and being a speed-addict most of my riding years I spend on cbr900, cbr1000, zx-9 and so on.
Living not too far away from the German autobahns had certainly a positive influence on my riding style

All in all, I've actively raced for 9 years, been on the podium several times, was the overall winner on the Belgian endurance races in 2009, and even last year my best achievement was becoming 2second on the German Nurburgring 6 hours endurance trophy (out of 66 teams).
This above, just to let you understand what kind of rider I am (and maybe in the very near future 'was')

SO, as of last month I became on of those "posers" on a brand new GS LC...
Yes, I find it making some strange noises, klunky sounds from the gearbox, every now and then there is this strange feeling going through my feet, like I just hit a brick or something .
The front end isn't anywhere that I feel on my current trackbike. The brakes are so-so for me, and at speeds over 120mph it surely doesn't feel rock solid anymore

BUT MAN, I'm becoming more and more addicted to this bike. Even with its (to me) minor flaws, I'm really having fun on the streets.
I now actually understand the guys, travelling with their GS's and KTM's (still don't understand the HD fuss ). They're just having fun on a bike that isn't 101% the way they want it to be...but then again what (or even who for that matter) will ever be the 101% you want it to be.

Since I'm a total noob on riding this kind of bikes their might be way better bikes than the new GS, but she already stole my heart, and 3 mayor trips to the Austrian alps are already planned
Like the part where I always want to ride right off the road and across someone's front yard or down the sidewalk to get around traffic? The bike is just plain comfortable to ride at the same time! I've never owned a BMW bike and have had various japanese sport bikes and Harley's. Never had as much fun on a bike as I've had in the past 450 miles on the new GS. Agreed that the brakes can be a bit better and the front end doesn't inspire confidence over 100 MPH but you can't possibly do everything great!

Just wanted to drop off my 2 cents....
CTerrySGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:31 AM   #40
Starstriker
www.transasia.se

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Some people really like the feel of a big twin. Some don't. You may be one of those who don't. Within the "like big twin" group there are sub groups: those who like boxers, like the V (Harley), like the L (Ducati), like the transverse V (Moto Guzzi), etc. If you like a boxer big twin you ignore engine noise, telling yourself that it only sounds louder because the cylinders are sticking out there in the wind.

I often tell new boxer riders to wear (better?) ear plugs... it makes their bike run better.
Its funny, alot of people complain about noise, and still, they add more or less open pipes to their own bikes to make them sound more
Old 05-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #41
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
I'm guilty. I could not adjust to the stock sounds -- all that whirring, sewing machine noise. Fitted an Akra no baffles and now I'm happy. I feel like I'm riding an actual motorcycle now.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #42
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,317
Funny stuff because going from the 1150 oiler to the 1200 oiler people mostly said the front was washy. It's the first thing to go.

Now on the 1200 water people say THAT front goes before the 1200 oiler did!

What I've discovered on the 1200 oiler....you have to ride it differently, or the front will wash/slide out.

So I expect the same goes for the 1200 water, it's how you ride it. A different technique is called for.

Initially on the 1200 oiler I thought I was so much slower on our mountain course than I was on the 1150. UNTIL I adopted a different technique. Now the 1200 oiler is WAY faster through the bends.

For me the 1200 oiler depends on far less input from the pilot, it is so capable that rider input can unsettle it.

I expect the 1200 water is even more capable, what with all the advancements in chassis and suspension design rider input is getting less and less. To me it's becoming like flying an airplane, you may lean over in your seat and shift your weight but it does little, basically you just operate the controls and the machine does the work. Like it or not.

I taken a test ride (not test drive) on a 1200 water....so I could be full of crap.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #43
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,317
Quote:
Need some help out here. I've been riding for 51 years now and raced on and off road for a number of years. I ride about 20k a year on my 10 concours and my tricked out 08 klr. Would someone please explain the BMW GS to me. When I see a loaded GS coming down the road my heart skips a beat. So cool that's what I want to travel on, Oh the trips I could take on that bike. When I bought the Concours myself and my two V Strom riding buddies road a 1150 for about 125 miles through serious twisty road. We switched bikes frequently and as much as we all wanted to like the 1150, we all thought the V Sroms were quieter, smoother, and handled much better. For a LOT less money. I'm doing a four corner ride in a few months and with high hopes tested a new 1200 wc last week. I was so let down, I wanted this to be the bike. It had great power, but I have never heard a bike make this much noise. It sounded like a harvester in a rock covered wheat field. It also made a loud whooping pulsing noise at about 65, and the front end was kind of sketchy, on twisty pavement. also very klunky gear box. Is it me or is there a BMW gs thing like a Harley thing that I just don't get.
I've been riding about the same time. I've owned nothing but BMW's the last 13 years. It's just personal choice, they are no better or worse than anything else. They can carry a ton of luggage, that is a plus for me. The club and ownership pool is comfortable to be associated with for me. It may be akin to Harley ownership, we like them because they are different.

In explanation I would just point out some things:

Boxer engine with exposed cylinders (we like it!)
Shaft drive (we like it)
BMW (we like it)
Massive luggage capacity (we like it)
Telelever/paralever suspension (we like it)
Dry clutch (we like it)
Riding position (we like it)

other bikes offer similar things...it's just a choice of manufacturers.
Some folk like Harleys, go figure.

I think you have it right when you say you see one and "your heart skips a beat".......they just offer that response to some people.....do you call it charisma? I don't know. We like it.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #44
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,548
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
I've been riding about the same time. I've owned nothing but BMW's the last 13 years. It's just personal choice, they are no better or worse than anything else. They can carry a ton of luggage, that is a plus for me. The club and ownership pool is comfortable to be associated with for me. It may be akin to Harley ownership, we like them because they are different.

In explanation I would just point out some things:

Boxer engine with exposed cylinders (we like it!)
Shaft drive (we like it)
BMW (we like it)
Massive luggage capacity (we like it)
Telelever/paralever suspension (we like it)
Dry clutch (we like it)
Riding position (we like it)

other bikes offer similar things...it's just a choice of manufacturers.
Some folk like Harleys, go figure.

I think you have it right when you say you see one and "your heart skips a beat".......they just offer that response to some people.....do you call it charisma? I don't know. We like it.
well said! +1
Old 05-31-2013, 06:03 AM   #45
UK_Engineer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I am on my third R1200 GS, year 2005, year 2010 twin-cam and now year 2013 LC.

The LC is the best by a long way in almost every way.

It is a brilliant bike, more power, more torque, better handling both solo and with a pillion.

The only thing that I do not like is the 'nasty' 'clunk' when selecting first gear from neutral, but I will get used to it, most chain driven wet-clutch bikes do it, so it is just a case of re-aligning my head
UK_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote