Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 09:10 AM   #46
The Last Cowboy
Gettin' by

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_Engineer View Post
The only thing that I do not like is the 'nasty' 'clunk' when selecting first gear from neutral, but I will get used to it, most chain driven wet-clutch bikes do it, so it is just a case of re-aligning my head
The clunk is almost nonexistent when compared to my old Vstrom. And even though this bike has a big giant numbered gear indicator display, it's still reassuring to me that the slight clunk is there so my riding senses can still be satisfied that I have found first gear.
2007 DL1000 Vstrom
The Last Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #47
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_Engineer View Post
I am on my third R1200 GS, year 2005, year 2010 twin-cam and now year 2013 LC.

The LC is the best by a long way in almost every way.

It is a brilliant bike, more power, more torque, better handling both solo and with a pillion.

The only thing that I do not like is the 'nasty' 'clunk' when selecting first gear from neutral, but I will get used to it, most chain driven wet-clutch bikes do it, so it is just a case of re-aligning my head
Hold the clutch in for around 10 seconds, before selecting first gear, and the clunk disappears.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #48
filterwrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
got my new gs

800 kms in 3 days and Im really glad i bought this bike.....lots of power and great handling......so far my only complaint is the back tire kicks up too much mud when its wet out.........tranny is so like the one on my wideglide loud and clunky but thats the only resemblence to a harley......bike stops and turns like a bike should ...cant wait to get the first service done so i can pick up the revs a little more....awsome bike
filterwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #49
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
So this is the GSW hater thread? :)

Anyway, I won't comment on anybody's personal feeling (each has his own preconception, priorities, experience etc.), just one thing...

I've ridden (among many different bikes) also a couple of V-Stroms, both the 650 and the 1k variety.
The 650 is hard to beat as a "honest" bike for what it does at its price. Very hard to beat. It's not the best in anything, but quite good (except off-road but still all depends on the rider).
The 1k (as my best man used to own one for years) I have more experience. It had a few problems (early model), but it was "ok" but also "nothing special". It was "just one in the crowd" bike. Performance-wise on street (yes we tested) was on par with my 2007 GS before I installed power commander on it. Anything else, I didn't like. Hated the suspension.

You cannot compare a 12GS (I have almost no experience in 1150GS), to a V-Strom. They are not in the same league. Not talking about brand. They are just not in the same league, you feel it in well... everything.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #50
Hambonee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Put couple hundred miles on the bike this weekend. Get it serviced mid month then have my first long trip on her

What I can say so far...this bike just fits me! After 200 miles I was usually in pain from a knee injury. None of that on this bike. THOUGH...I could use some handlebar risers to pull them up and back a tiny bit(6'3" here).

Also, from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th you need to shift with a bit of authority. If you try to tip of the toe it it will probably clunk but I have learned to shift like I mean it and it snicks right in. Not a hard shift mind you just not a tippy toe one.

Also, the bike feels different in low speeds in a parking lot than other bikes I have ridden. It handles just fine but there are these little micro shudders or clicks. They don't affect handeling at all but I did notice them. Someone said it was the floating disk brakes and this is my first with that so...

Now in saying that the bike is a beast. Easy to handle and inspires a scarey amount of confidence. I just can't wait till the service is done and I can really take it to task on the winding Washington State Mountian roads!

Hambonee screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 08:25 AM
Hambonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #51
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambonee View Post

Also, from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th you need to shift with a bit of authority. If you try to tip of the toe it it will probably cluck but I have learned to shift like I mean it and it snicks right in. Not a hard shift mind you just not a tippy toe one.
Agree 100%. If you're deliberate on your shifts it's very smooth, if you're hesitant or "gentle" engagement is rough aka "clunky".
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #52
The Last Cowboy
Gettin' by

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
So this is the GSW hater thread? :)

Anyway, I won't comment on anybody's personal feeling (each has his own preconception, priorities, experience etc.), just one thing...

I've ridden (among many different bikes) also a couple of V-Stroms, both the 650 and the 1k variety.
The 650 is hard to beat as a "honest" bike for what it does at its price. Very hard to beat. It's not the best in anything, but quite good (except off-road but still all depends on the rider).
The 1k (as my best man used to own one for years) I have more experience. It had a few problems (early model), but it was "ok" but also "nothing special". It was "just one in the crowd" bike. Performance-wise on street (yes we tested) was on par with my 2007 GS before I installed power commander on it. Anything else, I didn't like. Hated the suspension.

You cannot compare a 12GS (I have almost no experience in 1150GS), to a V-Strom. They are not in the same league. Not talking about brand. They are just not in the same league, you feel it in well... everything.
I had a Vstrom 1k for 3 years. It was a good bike, quirky, but good. It's design is now over a decade old. It was best on back roads with twists, but not tight curves. Handled awful, was top heavy, poor aerodynamics, a non forgiving clutch (hold on tight if you downshift too soon), so so brakes with no ABS, poor factory mapping for fuel management. But it was my bike and I liked enough to keep it awhile.

The test drive on the new GSW was so impressive that I traded my Vee on the spot. They gave me very good money for it too, it was a nice bike in great shape.

Is the GSW the perfect bike? It's close enough to it for me right now.

Should every one of you run out and buy because I did? Ride one and make up your own mind.

I'm glad we all don't have the same taste, 'cause I don't want to see a bike just like mine every time I'm riding.

Now ride what you like best and maybe I'll see a few of you out on some dusty road somewhere!
2007 DL1000 Vstrom
The Last Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #53
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,651
I don't feel like my GSW is clunky at all. It makes some noise going into first gear but that's about it.

Go ride a K1600. Now that's clunky.
hammick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #54
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,382
A lot of different views & different riders

I test rode the GSW in Jax,FL. Then back on my 09 GS for a couple hundred miles. Then back to the dealer for another test ride.
There was nothing wrong w/ my 09 GS & the new owners really like it & my string of add ons didn't hurt either.
My trade in was very good. This GSW is just plain & simply another generation in the world of GS riding. The wind protection is great & fun to mess w/ the shield adjustor while on long runs.
The scoot is so different I was not sure I wanted the sudden change from my 09. The second test ride was more spirited & I even chugged about in the mid 2k rpm range to get the feel for off road expectations. So after hitting both ends of the rpm range I made my choice. This new GSW could just out do my 09.
But something happened while riding out in NM. Felt the vibration in my feet & ran it up to the ABQ dealership. John the service manager took it for a long ride & said I am not the first to show a concern but it is the new sound & new feel of the GSW.
Now here is the real surprise. I have bettered 60 mpg at least 3 times. Now I'm only using non ethanol high test & keeping it under 5k rpm, but for a while I thought I might be putting a hole in a piston top. Service manager (John) said, yes that too was reported.
To date my GSW is nearing 5,000 miles & shows no sign of oil usage. My 09 drank oil until 16,000 miles. Well look, no one bike is for every rider so relax if you don't get this different GS. I don't get some of HDs line up.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #55
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
I don't get some of HDs line up.
...or all.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:39 AM   #56
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,241
Quote:
...or all.
Not surprised you don't get it, NLS, and feck if that didn't make me even happier to own one.

What's surprising is seeing so many people ignorant enough about motorcycles as to think it's reasonable to compare Harleys to adventure bikes. About as smart as comparing apples to oranges.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:36 AM   #57
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Not surprised you don't get it, NLS, and feck if that didn't make me even happier to own one.

What's surprising is seeing so many people ignorant enough about motorcycles as to think it's reasonable to compare Harleys to adventure bikes. About as smart as comparing apples to oranges.
Erm... I never compared them. Why would I compare HD and adventure bikes?

I just find them useless for pretty much anything else than nice photos. I admire the old ones and the older riders that know why they have them (probably restored them too), but don't value much the "modern" ones and the "modern" riders that believe they become "Easy Riders" just by going to the dealership and buying one with the latest leather details etc.
Last time I rode one was a huge white with some wide screen (I am not familiar with the coding, ex-cop bike or something) that was parked in a slope and had VERY hard time to move it out of there. And I mean VERY hard time.
Consider me biased.

Back to the topic?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:54 AM   #58
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,241
Quote:
Last time I rode one was a huge white with some wide screen (I am not familiar with the coding, ex-cop bike or something) that was parked in a slope and had VERY hard time to move it out of there. And I mean VERY hard time.
Consider me biased.
I own a Road King and have no problem maneuvering it on slopes or anywhere else, so I think that I'll have to consider you either lacking in skill or possessing weak legs.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:53 AM   #59
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I own a Road King and have no problem maneuvering it on slopes or anywhere else, so I think that I'll have to consider you either lacking in skill or possessing weak legs.
Could be that.
Most probably skill. Although it depends what someone considers a skill. Moving around on a slop road a 700 pound very wide bike... ok maybe I am lacking (maybe also why I don't like the GSA and only GS - with the GSA probably half-a-bike lighter than the Road King too).
I wouldn't say I have weak legs (ex-paratrooper and 10+ years taekwon-do, you can say I have weak hands for my size but not legs).

Still if this is all just to say how fantastic rider you are and that modern HD are fantastic, then you are and they are.
If this is to say that I suck as a rider and cannot value a fantastic motorcycle like HD, you are right again.

Can we go back to the topic (again)?
Old 09-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #60
Prodaddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
GPS Wheel

I take delivery of GS LC tomorrow. Just realized from the forum what that "wheel" on the left side is. I don't think I will ever use GPS on this bike. If that wheel interferes with the operation of the other components on that side, can it be removed?
Prodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote