Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #91
MotoADHD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I did about an hour on a '14 LC today. Including a 12 mile out & back on a local canyon road, with many tight 2nd & 3rd gear turns, elevation changes, good and bad pavement & thanks to a recent storm, sand and gravel.

Observations;
1) The bike is utterly refined and feels much lighter (though it's not) than my Camhead. The motor, clutch and gear box are incredibly smooth. I had the image of a tractor in my head when I mentally compared the ride quality to my Camhead.

2) The LC is deceptively fast. It does not feel OMG fast, yet I soon realized I had to pay attention to the speedometer as it revs so much more freely than my bike. Motor feel on the Camhead at 80 mph is 95 on the LC.

3) Maybe it was just getting used to a new bike (and the much lighter steering), but it felt slightly twitchy to me. I wanted more rebound damping (I rode the LC in the "Road" & "Sport" mode setting) on rough fast pavement. Also, it felt like my bike made better torque down low, giving me better drive off the corner.

Getting back on my bike was not as much of a downer as I though it was going to be. No, it's not as fast, refined or sexy, but it steers beautifully and in 12,500 miles it's never done anything to alarm me, on or off road.

Is the LC enough of leap forward to sell my Camhead and get an one? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I'm not quite ready to make that call.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:39 AM   #92
jplambert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
One that keeps me away from the WC is the danger of steamed chestnuts. One errant rock into the radiator or loose hose and you will get a blast of hot steam right into the ole chestnuts. The way the radiators are positioned it doesn't matter if your are standing or sitting the blast will get you. I'll stick with my old cam head and keep both me and the wife happy.
jplambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:40 AM   #93
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplambert View Post
One that keeps me away from the WC is the danger of steamed chestnuts. One errant rock into the radiator or loose hose and you will get a blast of hot steam right into the ole chestnuts. The way the radiators are positioned it doesn't matter if your are standing or sitting the blast will get you. I'll stick with my old cam head and keep both me and the wife happy.
OK now maybe I've heard it all.
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:04 AM   #94
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,669
Quote:
I take it you haven't physically seen a new GS in person?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #95
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Hasn't happened to me but the highest outside riding temp was low 90s...isn't that why they make radiator guards ??
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust

mefly2 screwed with this post 10-13-2013 at 05:05 PM
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #96
jplambert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I take it you haven't physically seen a new GS in person?
Actually I wanted to come up with a really good reason not to test ride a new GS. Although the new BMW suit advertisement highlighting steam pants protection has me wondering. ;-)
jplambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #97
Buck760
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
I test-rode one yesterday for about an hour. My observations, albeit a brief ride:

Engine/Transmission - Very, very quick with lots of torque. I didn't find the transmission to be clunky, but when cruising on the freeway at 80-85 it felt as though the engine was working pretty hard. It may just be me, but I really liked the tall 6th gear on the '02 1150GS I used to own.

Wind screen - I found it to be excellent. While cruising the freeway I moved it from the lowest setting to the highest, and never felt any buffeting, unlike most other BMW's I've owned or ridden. When at the lowest, it has plenty of clean air, and when raised, good wind protection.

Ergonomics - Didn't work for me. I felt as though I was sliding forward in the seat, and my legs felt too folded up (5'10, 30" inseam). I believe that the seat can be set higher in the front and lower in the rear, which would help, but I found the seat to be uncomfortable as well - typical BMW OEM IMHO.

Overall, I didn't care for the bike, even though I wanted to. Although very quick, I found it to be a bit twitchy, and the ergonomics didn't fit me. I prefer the Camhead GSA, YMMV.
Buck760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #98
Dead Stiff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck760 View Post
I test-rode one yesterday for about an hour. My observations, albeit a brief ride:

Engine/Transmission - Very, very quick with lots of torque. I didn't find the transmission to be clunky, but when cruising on the freeway at 80-85 it felt as though the engine was working pretty hard. It may just be me, but I really liked the tall 6th gear on the '02 1150GS I used to own.

Wind screen - I found it to be excellent. While cruising the freeway I moved it from the lowest setting to the highest, and never felt any buffeting, unlike most other BMW's I've owned or ridden. When at the lowest, it has plenty of clean air, and when raised, good wind protection.

Ergonomics - Didn't work for me. I felt as though I was sliding forward in the seat, and my legs felt too folded up (5'10, 30" inseam). I believe that the seat can be set higher in the front and lower in the rear, which would help, but I found the seat to be uncomfortable as well - typical BMW OEM IMHO.

Overall, I didn't care for the bike, even though I wanted to. Although very quick, I found it to be a bit twitchy, and the ergonomics didn't fit me. I prefer the Camhead GSA, YMMV.
I test road the dealer owners bike and his was set high front low rear and it was very comfortable.
After purchasing mine on the way home I had the same feeling as you, the seat felt like garbage.
It was set low/low so I adjusted it high/low, it transformed the uncomfortable push you into the tank seat to an all day comfortable plant your ass anywhere seat.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Dead Stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #99
MinnBobber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Question front seat height settings??

I know the front of the front seat has high/low settings.
I thought the rear of the front seat has only a fixed position.
Does it really have high/low settings too?

thanks
MinnBobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #100
Dead Stiff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnBobber View Post
I know the front of the front seat has high/low settings.
I thought the rear of the front seat has only a fixed position.
Does it really have high/low settings too?

thanks
Yes the rear is adjustable too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Dead Stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #101
Dinkie Diesel
I'm hungry

Oddometer: 4
A buddy of mine just bought a used GSA and loves it. I rode the GSW right after it came out and can still remember how much fun it was. So much so that I have joined your forum to learn what I can before jumping in with both feet. I currently have a Honda ST1300 and VFR1200 DCT. I'm ready for some upright ergo's and wider handlebars. Grew up playing in the dirt. Love the feel of a skinny midriff and wide handlebars. A rode worthy, long travel suspension, long distance bike suits my needs.

I rode an older GS and wasn't at all impressed by the lack of power but I did like the ergo's. Always said I wouldn't buy a bike with an engine designed by cro magnon but I'm coming around now. With the advent of wet clutch and a little liquid cooling I am getting really excited about the new GS.

What I don't want to happen is spend the coin to buy one and then have it be less than reliable. My dealer is close, ~30 miles away and a great guy so I don't have the obstacle of finding a dealer if something runs amok. I'll spend the next few days/weeks reading on this forum for the pros and cons of the GSW. It's pretty obvious by the posts I've read so far that one man's trash is another man's treasure. How will I weed through all of that?
Old 10-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #102
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,883
Quote:
I take it your chestnuts hang down to your ankles, and you drape the bag over the tank so they hang off on either side?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #103
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,871
Ok that was an ugly picture man...
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #104
Surveyor1953
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
It is going to take a little time get that visual purged from the memory bank...
Surveyor1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #105
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Still gagging ... aw nuts!
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote