ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #181
Travex OP
Lost is found

Oddometer: 135
Routing Problem

After having reached the furthest point of my ride today I hit "Go Home" and thought I'd try some different roads and let the 350 autocalculate to get me back. While at the top of a small mountain it would have had me make a right turn directly off it. No road, secondary road, path, or possibility. Just the dirt nap. Never experienced anything like that before.

It occurred to me later that I should have stopped and entered that as a bug-spot. Will do if ever in that area again.

2012 Super Tenere For Sale in "The Flea Market"

Travex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #182
Meff
half way there...

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travex View Post
While at the top of a small mountain it would have had me make a right turn directly off it. No road, secondary road, path, or possibility. Just the dirt nap. Never experienced anything like that before.
Hey Travex - check the 350 settings to be sure the "self immolation" mode is turned off
Meff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #183
Travex OP
Lost is found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meff View Post
Hey Travex - check the 350 settings to be sure the "self immolation" mode is turned off
Outrageously funny!!! Thanks!

Old 10-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #184
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travex View Post
After having reached the furthest point of my ride today I hit "Go Home" and thought I'd try some different roads and let the 350 autocalculate to get me back. While at the top of a small mountain it would have had me make a right turn directly off it. No road, secondary road, path, or possibility. Just the dirt nap. Never experienced anything like that before.

It occurred to me later that I should have stopped and entered that as a bug-spot. Will do if ever in that area again.
If there is bad data in the map set for that position, you should be able to reproduce it in BaseCamp.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #185
Travex OP
Lost is found

True, and thanks. I'll do it shortly.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #186
MostlyLurking
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Travex, you have endured more than any man should have to. If my mother had endured what you have been through, she would surely say the same thing she said to her IT help person, which was "I think I have some kind of magnetic field round me which makes computers go wrong" To his credit this chap apparently nodded, and said "Yes. You may be right".

I'm not entirely joking here. Have you considered moving the mount of your satnav to a different spot, preferably further away from your main instrument cluster.
MostlyLurking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #187
Travex OP
Lost is found

Thanks for your thoughts. I had ruled out placement for the potential of extraneous radio frequency and therefore magnetics by having run the unit on it's battery in an alternate location (tank bag). The only options were to have returned it for refund and go with a different unit or stay the course and ride out their software problems as the 350 with all it's problems was still the field leader for my use... Albeit with it's dated and obfuscating interface.

GPS is very important if not essential to me. A strongly lingering personal requirement for adventure seems contrary to my health at age, thus rendering GPS integral as a safety feature. As for patience, I'm afraid there's no choice in the matter as I live and ride on borrowed time and downtime is best kept to a minimum.

For those new to or considering the purchase of a 350: From my perspective it seems to be a fairly well constructed unit. Strangely confusing in it's interface, it's proven to be reliable in basic navigation while requiring a forgiving nature of it's user for features beyond that. All that at a premium price.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #188
shay
reading is hard

Oddometer: 246
I updated my 350lm and the "off road" routing option, now shows "curvy roads" when you check the trip planner. Shortest route = off road?

weird !!!

shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #189
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by shay View Post
I updated my 350lm and the "off road" routing option, now shows "curvy roads" when you check the trip planner. Shortest route = off road?

weird !!!
Wow, when did you run the update, and did you happen to notice what version you're on now? I wonder if this is part of a new update or just something I had not noticed on the last one.

Hmm. Not finding this on mine. Can you please tell me the steps you have to take to see this curvy roads option?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF

Emoto screwed with this post 12-09-2013 at 11:34 AM
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #190
shay
reading is hard

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Wow, when did you run the update, and did you happen to notice what version you're on now? I wonder if this is part of a new update or just something I had not noticed on the last one.

Hmm. Not finding this on mine. Can you please tell me the steps you have to take to see this curvy roads option?
Go to apps - trip planner and select a previously created route. Press the icon at top left and a screen opens with list of options, including choice of fastest, shortest or off road .

Select second option, which is off road, press save, and that option will now display in screen as curvy roads. It does select a different route from fastest route.

Select 3rd option, shortest distance, save and it shows as off road!

shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #191
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,880
Quote:
Go to apps - trip planner and select a previously created route. Press the icon at top left and a screen opens with list of options, including choice of fastest, shortest or off road .

Select second option, which is off road, press save, and that option will now display in screen as curvy roads. It does select a different route from fastest route.

Wow, that is wild! Thank you for providing the steps.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #192
Kincop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:

Nice..BUT.. I tested this making a route as I know very well the options for. It goes from my home up north to my parents aprox 120km.
The fastest (and also the shortest) way is driving the highway/E20.
Well..I did as you described and it acctually made an interesting offroad trip AT THE BEGINNING AND AT THE END off the route..but main part the rout remained at the highway/E20...
Just my quick little test..

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Kincop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #193
Travex OP
Lost is found

Although this thread's fallen asleep, more info can't hurt.

Yesterday I was going through some smaller mountains and as I was riding a known area from 1800' to 650' I was shocked to see the GPS's altimeter behave inversely. It was actually indicating a steady increase in altitude as I descended. I traveled this stretch not two weeks ago and did not experience this failure.

There was an additional failure occurring simultaneously: Whenever I deviated from my set route the unit would not shift it's purple highlight to the one I was on, nor did it auto-correct as it's set to do.

These two problems are new and had not occurred prior to the last update I did last week. For those with 350's and 390's this should give you pause if you hadn't done the latest update.

Looks like Garmin has decided to furnish another riding season full of the unforeseen.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #194
hoadie72
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I keep an eye on this thread as I've had a lot of issues with my unit in the 18 months I've owned it. Actually to be fair, given I'm onto my 2nd replacement device, my current unit is only 12 months old, but I'm confident that Garmin were throwing new hardware at a software fault.

What would be really helpful is if you posted your firmware version so others can compare notes. I very reluctantly update my firmware given the bad run I previously had. Knowing what are stable versions could save a lot of heartache.
hoadie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #195
Travex OP
Lost is found

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoadie72 View Post
I keep an eye on this thread as I've had a lot of issues with my unit in the 18 months I've owned it. Actually to be fair, given I'm onto my 2nd replacement device, my current unit is only 12 months old, but I'm confident that Garmin were throwing new hardware at a software fault.

What would be really helpful is if you posted your firmware version so others can compare notes. I very reluctantly update my firmware given the bad run I previously had. Knowing what are stable versions could save a lot of heartache.
Of course hoadie, I should have done that. Here you go:

Software Ver: 3.70
Text Ver: 3.70 (American English)
GPS Firmware: 4.14.08
Bluetooth Firmware: 5.03 A15

They also attempted to placate me with new hardware and it changed nothing. Short of something not working at all, I've never experienced problems with any electronic device to the extent I have with the 350LM.

Good luck with yours.