ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #16
flabombarda
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Am curious about what was happening when a freeze occurred. In other words, were people just riding along, or were they using the touch screen giving specific commands that make it freeze every time, or was a saved route being followed, etc.?

I also wonder if those who have had theirs freeze have some other thing in common. For example, were maps uploaded a certain way? Was an upload interrupted due to failure, etc.?

If something can be identified and associated with the freeze, that would probably point to where the problem is in the software. In other words, is there "something" repeatable that will cause a freeze every time?

IME, software typically stops functioning when some sort of exception that it has not been programmed to handle crops up. "Exception handling" is one key to good software, because you can never fully predict all conditions before your software goes out into the field.

ETA: I visited zumoforums.com and there are several other people reporting the freeze issue, although they don't all use the term "freeze".
Hi buddy, I used to be a software developed, and all you say make sense here, the ideal scenario would be to get a process trace/memory dump to be analyzed by Garmin, however they seem to not have any tool for this.

Regarding your question, I already tried to isolate this issue but I don't have nothing really consistent on this, here is what I found so far:

- It happened to me only at the map screen
- it happened to me only when navigating (following a route) most of my time I'm under this criteria)
- it happened without any manual intervention from my side, which means, I did not switched the pages, or tried to use any functionality (touchscreen or not)
- There were few cases where it happened when returning from trip computer to the map page
- I don't have any custom map loaded other than the one who comes with the unit (in my case City Navigator Brazil)
- All available updates (firmware) are up to date

I guess that's all

since this is resolved after doing the master reset, I believe this is something related to cumulative information such as TrackLog records.
I have disabled this option this weekend after doing the master reset, but is too soon to evaluate if either resolved the issue or not.

BTW Garmin seems to be limited to ask me to do the reset.
flabombarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #17
flabombarda
n00b

Thumb

Quote:
I called Garmin Support to ask if there was a way to delete routes from the GPS via BaseCamp. There isn't, but I asked about freezing and she thought that if that is happening there is a good chance that some file or files became corrupted and that one should re-install the GPS software on the unit. She was nice enough to email me the instructions for doing this:

Please allow your device to charge for 7-8 hours and then update the unit's software:
Starting at the WebUpdater page: (http://www.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp)
  1. Plug your unit into the computer via the USB cable
  2. Click on Download under step 1
  3. Select the appropriate version of the WebUpdater based on your computer's operating system
  4. Click "I agree to the above terms and want to proceed to the download page"
  5. Click Download
  6. Select Run when the pop up box appears
  7. Select Run if a message appears asking "Do you want to run this software?"
  8. Click Next when the WebUpdater installation page appears
  9. Check the box to accept the licensing terms and select Next
  10. Select Done to complete the WebUpdater download
Once WebUpdater is installed on your computer, select the application, if it does not automatically open, to run the program and follow the prompts.
  1. Select Next on the WebUpdater Wizard
  2. Select Find Device and Next
  3. Select Next to update the unit software on your device and follow the prompts
Once you have run the software updates and updated your device, you will be prompted to search for additional updates. To load any additional updates, check the box next to the specific updates you wish to download. Select anything that relates to firmware, GPS software, traffic, Bluetooth, vehicles, or voice languages relating to the versions you use. Once selected, click Next and check the Agreement box. At this point the updates will run directly to your Garmin device. Once the update is complete you will see a box showing the downloads and if they were a success. Click Finish and unplug your Garmin from the computer to allow the updates to load. Once the update(s) are loaded, your device will return to the normal agreement screen and it will be ready to operate.
Notes:
  • Internet connection is required to communicate with the Garmin server and download applicable Software updates.
  • WebUpdater is not compatible with Palm and Pocket PC devices, fixed-mount marine units, aviation units, chartplotters, or fishfinders.
  • WebUpdater updates the applicable Garmin device with the most current software version available. Check back frequently for additional updates.
I just saw this update, I'll have a look, and try it too.

Thanks,
Old 05-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #18
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by flabombarda View Post
I just saw this update, I'll have a look, and try it too.

Thanks,
Best of luck with it!

Please keep us posted on your progress. I will return to this thread if/when I have anything related to ask or offer.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #19
flabombarda
n00b

Quote:
Best of luck with it!

Please keep us posted on your progress. I will return to this thread if/when I have anything related to ask or offer.
Many thanks for your inputs, btw, are you also having the same issue with the Zumo 350 ?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #20
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabombarda View Post
Many thanks for your inputs, btw, are you also having the same issue with the Zumo 350 ?
Happy to be of help.

I am not having the freezing issue. I thought I did today when I imported a route that I had created from a track, but it wasn't really frozen, it was just too busy to respond. It was busy splitting the newly imported route into 12 separate ones because the one I made from the track had so many points in it. Once it finished doing that, it responded to input normally again. But, of course I realized that I did not want 12 routes to take me 80 miles and it is many touches to the screen to delete each one. This is why I called support with my question about if a route could be deleted from the GPS using BaseCamp.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #21
flabombarda
n00b

Quote:
Happy to be of help.

I am not having the freezing issue. I thought I did today when I imported a route that I had created from a track, but it wasn't really frozen, it was just too busy to respond. It was busy splitting the newly imported route into 12 separate ones because the one I made from the track had so many points in it. Once it finished doing that, it responded to input normally again. But, of course I realized that I did not want 12 routes to take me 80 miles and it is many touches to the screen to delete each one. This is why I called support with my question about if a route could be deleted from the GPS using BaseCamp.
Got it, thanks a lot, I'll give a try on your suggestion !
Old 05-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #22
Travex OP
Lost is found

Oddometer: 137
During the troubleshooting process over the phone their tech had me check the logs and read back other developer info to no avail. Concerning the suspected potential software interruptions or user-induced defects, my unit has only experienced successful updates for both map and firmware.

I postponed my departure for a lengthy trip only to find that the refurbished unit I had waited for has plastic or metal pieces moving around freely and rattling within it. It was received in a cardboard box where it was situated at the very bottom with all inflatable cushions above it... Not beside or below it either. It slid freely along the bottom to all sides and corners.In addition, the unit has several cosmetic blemishes whereas my purchased unit is spotless... Which someone else will get.

After I address these issues with Garmin to whatever end, I'm done with the company. I paid a premium price and now I've got someone else's paperweight.

From what I'm seeing online these things are failing wholesale.

Never thought I'd see the day when a U.S. company's service commitment would fall behind that of a typical Chinese transaction. Sad, sad commentary.

2012 Super Tenere For Sale in "The Flea Market"

Travex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #23
Travex OP
Lost is found

Update:

I spoke with Garmin's techs today and after considerable jawing and escalation they're replacing the replacement unit with an 'as stated' new one, which according to email was shipped already.

I'll be content with this solution if this replacement doesn't experience failure.

Will update with progress.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #24
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travex View Post
Update:

I spoke with Garmin's techs today and after considerable jawing and escalation they're replacing the replacement unit with an 'as stated' new one, which according to email was shipped already.

I'll be content with this solution if this replacement doesn't experience failure.

What an ordeal.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #25
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Update:

Sorry to be dense, but what does 'as stated' mean here?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #26
Travex OP
Lost is found

Quote:
Sorry to be dense, but what does 'as stated' mean here?
Not at all. It's a reference to the first replacement where it was inferred that I was to receive a new unit as a replacement. I wrote it parenthetically to suggest that I'm unsure if this replacement will be new.

Once bitten...

Old 05-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #27
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Not at all. It's a reference to the first replacement where it was inferred that I was to receive a new unit as a replacement. I wrote it parenthetically to suggest that I'm unsure if this replacement will be new.

Once bitten...
Oh, ok. Got it.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #28
flabombarda
n00b

Garmin support has contacted Garmin in Brazil and asked them to contact me about this.

I'm curious to see what I'll get from this.
I'm really depending on this to define if I'll either return it or not.

The problem I see here is that I don't see a better option.

What alternatives we have for Garmin ?

I know people who has Zumo 220 and 660 and both also have issues.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #29
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Well, there is the Montana and there is the Zumo 660. I roll with both the Montana and the 350 side by side, but I kind of love gadgets. In terms of non-garmin, I have no useful input.

But, in my personal opinion, for the non-offroad rider, a 350 in working condition is a pretty good unit. Still, freezing is being reported in enough places (and those folks all contact Garmin and many have sent back their units) that maybe Garmin will figure out what the issue is and release a patch to fix it. I am not holding my breath, but it could happen. They certainly fixed a few things on the Montana over the course of time.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:43 AM   #30
Travex OP
Lost is found

Received the replacement yesterday. It's new and operating normally and I'll remain hopeful that it stays that way. After an unfortunate and slightly heated discussion with Garmin they were very kind in the end and saw that I received the unit the next day. The two defective units will be en route to them tomorrow.

Bear in mind it's only my gut... But I'm left with the feeling that they're acutely aware of a nasty little problem that they simply won't aggravate with admission. That said, I'm grateful that my squeaky wheel got greased.